Buy from Disney or resale?

vcasey

Mouseketeer
I know there have been previous discussion on this so please forgive me if I'm asking 'old stuff'.

I'm getting ready to purchase, I toured in July. I really liked the person who showed me around and she answerred all the questions I had at the time. Having been in sales myself, I'm usually very loyal to giving the 'sale' to the person who did the work. (ie the Disney person was the one who showed me around, so she should get the sale instead of a resale salesperson who never has spoken to me) Unfortunately though I like Boardwalk and Old Key West more than Wilderness.

So first I'd like to here others opinions about Wilderness becuase I know just seeing a Wilderness model plopped into Boardwalk isn't giving a full picture of the resort

Second, am I being ridiculious wanting to be loyal to the person who gave me the tour. (Maybe they aren't even on commision) Any ideas?

DVC sales staff aren't on commission ( or they certainly weren't in the past), although they may get a "bonus" if they exceed a certain level these days. I believe disney set up that pay structure of it's DVC sales staff in order to avoid the "high pressure" sales pitches that are often part of "timeshare" presentations.

While I think your position is admirable ( I'm in a sales/commission envoirenment myself) At the end of the day I'd go with what suits you best. Would you buy new windows instead of a new kitchen because you prefered the window salesman?

I agree. Your intentions are to be admired, but buy where you most want to stay.

Buy where you will stay.....

However, I have seen very little resales that are less expensive and less paper consuming than Disney. So, if you buy resale you will probably pay more and receive less up front (if borrowed points). Wait for a resale that has banked points.........

As for going with the guy that "brung ya." I deal with sales people everyday. I'm not commissioned and I work **** hard! Choose the best for you, why worry about someone who's not worrying about you.

Same advice here,...Buy where you want to be!

We love OKW and even added on there instead of buying Boardwalk when it was begun 5 years ago. We love the townhome atmosphere over the hotel type experience of BWV and VWL. Just being able to park outside your door is a big plus. We also enjoy lower dues, and better point values than the other smaller accommodations. Where you want to be is getting more important than before as all the others sell out too. The 11 month ressie window is becoming very important, so buy where you want to stay most.

Thanks to all of you for your quick and great responses. I did what you said and amazingly immediately found 150 points at Boardwalk and they just accepted my bid!! What's the greatest is they had all the 2000 points banked and 100% of 2001 available still too. I can't wait to close and then I've gotta pray I can find a place that still avaible to use those 2000 points at!!!

Thanks again!! Can't wait to be an official DVCer!

Just curious how many dollars per point and who you purchased through.

If I change my mind I would want to purchase at Boardwalk Villas.

Congrats!!!

to answer the question about Wilderness Lodge it is absolutely beautiful. I was concerned about buying there myself and toured it when we took a short birthday trip. My mother and I both fell in love with it. Before we had planned to try to get a resale at OKW but went ahead and signed the papers for Wilderness Lodge while we were there. So, just in case you ever have to stay at Wilderness it is great.

Vcasey - do you know when your use year ends? There appears to be some room left at OKW for this fall - I just booked for the last week of Sept a week ago and they told me there were still 37 Studio rooms available. Also the first part of next year shouldn't be too hard to get into.

To answer some of the above replies questions I paid $67/pt plus reimbursed them for this year's maintenance being that both 2000 and 2001 points are banked.

My use year is April so the 2000 points if I understand need to be used by then but the 2001 ones can be uses April 2002 - April 2003 right? My challenge is I have school age daugther and we won't be closed before the summers end and that leave holiday breaks. We have a few long weekend I might try to rooms for and then maybe I'll try to rent some. Thanks for OKW suggestion in fall. Also her spring break is March 27 - April 6 so maybe I might be able to still find something then (fingers crossed) and use the 2000 points on the first part of the trip and 2001 for the April part.

Oh yeah, I forgot someone asked where I bought from. It is Centur21 Tri-Timeshares. I don't think they specialize in DVC but the coolest thing happened back in July when I toured I saw their billboard and called to see if that had any DVC and didn't say which home resort or how many points I needed. Never got a call back. Then this week after I decided I would buy a resale Boardwalk out of the blue they called saying they just got 150 points at Boardwalk exactly what I wanted!:pinkbounc Cool huh?

One possibility if it wouldn't mess up your resale process would be for the current members to make a reservation for you on points fairly quickly for this August and then you might not risk the prospect of losing points due to school starting before you are an approved member. Just a thought. Congratulations on your offer being accepted. We bought a resale and saved a bunch of money.

One possibility if it wouldn't mess up your resale process would be for the current members to make a reservation for you on points fairly quickly for this August and then you might not risk the prospect of losing points due to school starting before you are an approved member.

That won't work, as Disney cancels all reservations for the contract being sold. This is done to protect the buyer. Disney has to certify the number of available points when the title company does their search and no further point usage is allowed until the contract has been recorded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter