Buffet Closed for Dinner - Picky Eater

A table for one would be way easier for breakfast and lunch in the dinning rooms. Maybe buffet breakfast, dinning room lunch and pool deck/room service dinners. Just for variety.
I also have found that Disney is great at understanding accommodating different situations. Mom of 2 neurodiverse kids (19 & 14). They really try, to make it a great trip.

When you board the ship, ask where to go for dining changes. You'll want to get there as soon as it's open and discuss your requests. Second dining is easier to get a private table. They will be able to accommodate the plating and may ask you to order the night before. My daughter (adult) ordered an adult serving of chicken strips and fries almost every night. It was no problem. My husband has a lot of allergies and they were able to handle it.

If you decide that dealing with the main dining rooms is too much for you, just get grab and go on the pool deck. Those items can easily be put on different plates. I don't think room service will put each item on a different plate.

I think some of you are missing that the OP does not have a food allergy but rather a serious case of OCD. I had a mild/ moderate case (not food related) I spent years in theory to tame. OP’s challenge is just not how the food was handled, but knowing that it was handled a very specific way.

My suggestion to OP would make the breakfast and lunch buffets your primary meals. For dinner, enjoy the poolside snack area where you can see them handle your food. But my recommendation would be to skip DCL altogether since the meal is a huge part of the cruise experience and you pay a heavy premium for DCL.

I don't see it as how it is prepared/handled but how it is presented. And if the OP is wanting each item on a separate plate, my strong suspicion is that the server and head server would ask that they do treat it as they would for an allergy in pre-ordering so that everything can be put on its own plate to begin with and not throw a monkey wrench into the dinner process. It's not just asking if the sauce can be left off or put on the side. It's literally wanting each item in/on its own dish.

But I'm 100% with you in that for how the OP is accustomed to cruising and comfortable with cruising it would not be worth the higher price on DCL.

In the restaurants you can order whatever you want even if it's not on the menu. You can request a table of preference whether you want private table or be near a screen for entertainment on Disney cruise website or ask at guest services on day 1 and they will email the server with your request.

I have another suggestion they also have pizza, burger, fries and hot dog bars opened in the evening too and you can watch the film whilst enjoying your meal.

You can request a table of preference whether you want private table or be near a screen for entertainment on Disney cruise website or ask at guest services on day 1 and they will email the server with your request.

Unless you're wiling to shell out the money for Concierge where a private table is the default, you *can* request your table preference, but it is not guaranteed. You need to be prepared to be seated with others OR just go with room service or the pool deck food for dinner if you're choosing to sail on DCL.

@NightGuardianAngel - do any of these suggestions/ ideas seem like something that would make dining on a Disney cruise okay for you?
I believe so, I never been on a Disney Cruise before so I never knew what to expect. I tend to see everything as black and white (not capable of navigating and understanding the complicated gray areas) and usually I assume it is always take it or leave it. At least the good thing is that they have food venues near the pools that serve hamburgers, hotdogs, etc for dinner snd that would work for me. As for me, I usually eat at places like McDonald’s because the food is always separated out and in separate packages. The buffet allowed me to pick and choose what I like and have it separate and allowed me to pick a table to sit alone at. At least you could do the same as far as seating near these food venues as far as having a place to eat alone.

As for me, it is the same with formal nights (especially if it is more formal thsn tge no shirt, no shoes, no service dress code), I assume you are not dressed to the nines, you would be kicked out of the MDR (black and white thinking). This is another reason why I was wondering if there is alternative dining since the buffet is closed without an extra charge other than a tip. With Carnival, the buffet on the Lido deck is the alternative dining option for the MDR and Royal Caribbean, the Windjammer buffet would be the alternative for MDR. I never expect for them to open Cabanas (Disney buffet) just for me and just wanted to see if Disney cruise would be the right choice for my special needs.

Last edited:
Communication is paramount. First, try calling DCL and explain your situation. They cannot accommodate something if they're not aware of it. I'm not sure if autism falls within the Americans with Disabilities act, but you might want to try that approach.

Yes, the servers in the dining room will certainly do all they can to make your dining experience as pleasant a possible. But, again, communication is important. You should probably speak with your main server and explain the situation. Knowing your needs will help them better serve you. If you don't explain things and then start asking for your special requirements, the serving team might infer that you're simply a difficult diner.

Room service was mentioned, but unless you again explain your situation, your meals will probably be delivered all jumbled together.

Once people understand a situation, most will be very helpful.

I believe so, I never been on a Disney Cruise before so I never knew what to expect. I tend to see everything as black and white (not capable of navigating and understanding the complicated gray areas) and usually I assume it is always take it or leave it. At least the good thing is that they have food venues near the pools that serve hamburgers, hotdogs, etc for dinner snd that would work for me. As for me, I usually eat at places like McDonald’s because the food is always separated out and in separate packages. The buffet allowed me to pick and choose what I like and have it separate and allowed me to pick a table to sit alone at. At least you could do the same as far as seating near these food venues as far as having a place to eat alone.

As for me, it is the same with formal nights (especially if it is more formal thsn tge no shirt, no shoes, no service dress code), I assume you are not dressed to the nines, you would be kicked out of the MDR (black and white thinking). This is another reason why I was wondering if there is alternative dining since the buffet is closed without an extra charge other than a tip. With Carnival, the buffet on the Lido deck is the alternative dining option for the MDR and Royal Caribbean, the Windjammer buffet would be the alternative for MDR. I never expect for them to open Cabanas (Disney buffet) just for me and just wanted to see if Disney cruise would be the right choice for my special needs.
Many of our suggestions and ideas are based on a tidbit of information - and then add our own thinking. Making me wonder if we are assuming what you think. ☺️ I am hearing the idea that people are cruising - especially Disney - to have a full sit-down dinner in the dining rooms. Some suggestions of eating one or two meals (breakfast, lunch) in a dining room and quick service would serve you well. I wouldn’t have thought of that, as I do go to the dining room for dinner. On other cruise lines, I have really appreciated the dinner buffets.

And it is so easy to eat more on a cruise with three meals a day, it might be nice to just expect dinner to be lighter.

Those who mentioned Cabanas (buffet) not being an option are definitely cruisers from pre-Covid days. And many of us would love to see the sit-down, very informal, limited menu offering come back. I never saw it greatly utilized, but you’d see officers and guest entertainers eating among the guests. It was quiet and relaxed.

The pool deck should provide you with a private table for dinner if you opt to eat outside. If you prefer inside seating, you can take your food pretty much anywhere on the ship, including lounges. Just like you can carry a drink from one venue to another.

Since you have probably been dealing with this for years and are willing to take adventures, I think you would be able to make this work for you. I guess pre- planning does help smooth out life.

If you are in Cabanas for breakfast and like cinnamon sugar and waffles, check out the “Mickey churro waffles.” They only are available on one or two mornings; I regret not having discovered them earlier in my cruising years.

Have a great cruise when- and where- ever you go.

Last edited:

The MDRs don't really have a dress code, basically wear clothes that's not a bathing suit or pajamas....on pirate night some people will dress up but some people won't.

A few things:
1. If you need “flexibility” (in general), DCL is not really the Cruise Line for you. What I mean by that is, any customization to what is being done. So, unique foods, food preparation, scheduling of events/activities, etc. Their whole approach is a great approach, but it really is a very hegemonic approach.
Pool deck foods only open at these times, Buffet only open at these specific hours, No guarantee of sit-down lunch service in a main dining room every day of the cruise - it might be there, or might not be. And, from ship to ship there can be small points of variance with schedules of operations and what is available when.

They work very hard to push you to do certain things at certain times with their schedule. There is a lot of crowd/population control that allows them to have the right staffing levels. Overall it works well, but for the cruiser seeking flexibility, I don’t think DCL is right for them.

2. Keep in mind the muster safety drill process is also very different on DCL, and make sure that would work for you.

3. MDR can be very hit or miss with requests, especially depending on how busy they are. The more notice you can give them the better - I would definitely recommend pre-ordering your meals every night for example. We have had cruisers in our groups with allergies, specific needs, etc. it works WAY better when DCL crew know ahead of time what they are dealing with.

Asking the main dining room to serve things on separate plates should be no problem. You can also order standalone sides, extra appetizers, kid's menu items, etc. For getting a solo table, request it online before your cruise starts, then on embarkation day, find out where they are handling dining requests and let them know in person. They should almost definitely be able to accommodate a solo table.

They should almost definitely be able to accommodate a solo table.

The are multiple reports of them NOT being able to even when you go to the dining changes area. If the ship is sailing at capacity, there are no extra tables. I've been there. I sucked it up and made the best of it and it worked out. But I'd never count on them being able to accommodate.

Bottom line is if that is going to be make or break, unless you're willing to do room service or pool foods for dinner (or book Concierge), DCL is not the line for you.

The are multiple reports of them NOT being able to even when you go to the dining changes area. If the ship is sailing at capacity, there are no extra tables. I've been there. I sucked it up and made the best of it and it worked out. But I'd never count on them being able to accommodate.

Bottom line is if that is going to be make or break, unless you're willing to do room service or pool foods for dinner (or book Concierge), DCL is not the line for you.
Yes, that's why I phrased it as "should almost definitely be able to". It's not a guarantee, but I've seen that if you're willing to do the late seating you almost always can. Way more reports of people getting what they want than being denied.

As for me, it is the same with formal nights (especially if it is more formal thsn tge no shirt, no shoes, no service dress code), I assume you are not dressed to the nines, you would be kicked out of the MDR (black and white thinking).
It is called formal night but the dress code that night is the same for all the other nights. As long as you are not wearing a bathing suit, you will be fine. During a cruise, I went to formal night in shorts and a t-shirt or a polo shirt and no one cared/commented on what I was wearing.

If you don't want food touching, ask for a kids plate/kids meal in the MDR. They have 3 compartments on the plate. And no worries about ordering a kids meal--anyone can order from the adult and kids menus. I will say the kids meals come out quickly, before adult meals. It was a little awkward when my 18 yr old got food before us, because they're not a little kid who needs to eat immediately.
IMG_20220623_182401725.jpgIMG_20180815_190532.jpgIMG_20220622_125139626.jpg

Last edited:
A few things:

2. Keep in mind the muster safety drill process is also very different on DCL, and make sure that would work for you.
That is an excellent point about the muster drill. If OP is used to RC, the muster drill process on DCL could be an issue.

I actually think DCL will try to accommodate you, especially with the different plates, if you call ahead and let them know. But I wonder if you have sensory overload issues? The dining rooms, due in part to the large number of kids on board, can be extremely loud and overwhelming, even if not on the autism spectrum. I think that Animator's Palate, especially, is very loud. My nephew has pretty severe ADHD and we brought headphones for him to wear.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest