British Name for Grandmother

Disneylovingmom

Mouseketeer
Hello to all my fellow Disney fans in the UK! I am an American who lived in England thirty years ago. My son was born there. Now he is having a son. I thought it would be nice if the grandson could call me a name for grandmother that is typically British. You may use the same names as in the US, but I thought I would ask. Thanks for any suggestions!

Typically it's Grandma (when younger), Gran (when older) or Nanny (when younger), Nan (when older) as far as I'm aware.

I do have friends who call their Grandma 'Mother' also. My Mum goes by Grandma though, she says it doesn't sound as 'old' as Nanna :rotfl:

I had a set of each when younger. I had my Grandma (on my Mum's side) and then Nanna (on my Dad's side), which was nice, as it wasn't too confusing when visiting each of them, or when we were all out together :) Least they knew who I wanted :thumbsup2

My kids call my mum Granny and DHs mum Nanny.

When I was little I had a granny and a mama. DH had a Gran. :goodvibes

mine call theirs nanna, I called mine nanny and now I'm called nanny by my eldest grandchild although he does now shorten it to nan sometimes ...he's 3!!

I called mine Nanny when I was little then Nan as I got older. My niece & nephew call my mum nanny as they are still young:goodvibes

My mum is grandma and my MIL is nan or nanny.:)

another vote for Nanny here...

I called my mums mum Little Nanny because she was short and my dads mum big nanny because she was taller then little nanny:)

another vote for Nanny here...

I called my mums mum Little Nanny because she was short and my dads mum big nanny because she was taller then little nanny:)

I did the same!!! My Little Nanny was very little at just 4'6"! She made her chihuahua look sizeable!!:rotfl:

When I was at primary school we briefly had the same sized feet and had matching shoes. She died over twenty years ago and I still miss her :love:
Thanks for bringing back this lovely memory though :)

Jeanette

the(unpaid) Babysitter:rotfl:couldent resist
Paul

My son calls my Mum Grandma (as do my sister's kids)and my mother in law is Nannie Anne

I called one nana and the other grandma and my daughter does the same with hers.

I called mine Nanna Elsie & Nanna Janie, my son uses this too, but called his great grandmother, Grandma Annie.

Nanny for my Mom and Grandma for DH's Mom.

Although my eldest is now starting to call my Mom - Nan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter