borrowing points

keithal

Earning My Ears
thing about just being guarantied a room. I understood I was able to bank and borrow all my point now " for now" can only borrow up to half. I can not get the room I want for as long as I want because of this new policy is this also a lost perk that was never intended to be around for ever?

Your question was just answered in your other thread, but no, you were never guaranteed to be able to borrow future UY points. You’re only guaranteed to be able to use your current UY points in that year. DVC has just allowed borrowing up until now. With the glut of points on the market because of closures they had to limit borrowing right now.

The Membership Agreement provides that a member can bank or borrow up to 100% of the member's points, but DVCM may, in its discretion, if it believes it is is in the best interests of the members as a whole to do so, suspend any such ability to bank or borrow in whole or in part, or increase or decrease the amount of any such banking or borrowing that can be done during any period of time.

In other words, the member appears to have a right to bank or borrow 100% of the points but that right can be suspended or modified, although it does not appear it can be definitely done away with forever. However, there is no time limit specified for how long it can be suspended or modified, and to make a legal challenge to what DVCM is doing now would likely require that your prove the current 50% rule is definitely not in the best interests of the members as a whole, something that would be very difficult to prove.

Last edited:
FWIW, I can't think of any reason that would make DVCMC keep the restriction once the "pandemic point glut" is absorbed. Most here believe the restriction will be lifted sometime in 2022.

I actually don't understand it at all. There are rooms available for next week. As there has been for months now.

If my family had been willing to travel the last few months, I'd have borrowed all my points to do so, so I'm not dealing with the "rush back to travel" that will likely happen late this year into next. (Leaving me with no points until late 2022.)

By stopping people who want to travel now, they are left with empty rooms that could maybe have been filled with people that needed to borrow to do so.

IMO, they should have allowed full borrowing of 2021 points but put restrictions on 2022 points. Seems like things would have evened out better. The people travelling in 2020 UY despite covid could have used theirs up, potentially freeing up rooms in later 2021/2022 for the rest of us.

I actually don't understand it at all. There are rooms available for next week. As there has been for months now.

If my family had been willing to travel the last few months, I'd have borrowed all my points to do so, so I'm not dealing with the "rush back to travel" that will likely happen late this year into next. (Leaving me with no points until late 2022.)

By stopping people who want to travel now, they are left with empty rooms that could maybe have been filled with people that needed to borrow to do so.

IMO, they should have allowed full borrowing of 2021 points but put restrictions on 2022 points. Seems like things would have evened out better. The people travelling in 2020 UY despite covid could have used theirs up, potentially freeing up rooms in later 2021/2022 for the rest of us.

I agree it would have been a good thing to have some level of borrowing for short term trips that can exceed the limit,

The problem, I think, is that they would have to find a way to reprogram things to prevent people from doing it and then modifying the trip to a later time, thus getting around the rule.

My thinking is that this is going to be gone late 2021 or early 2022 and not worth it.

I think they should allow borrowing of more than 50% for stays that begin within say 30 days, perhaps with the restriction that borrowed points will be lost if vacation is cancelled or some such thing. This should help get rid of the glut without negatively.impacting inventory too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter