Book through a travel agent or no?

ethanwa

Disney Superfan
So I know there are On Board Credit deals if I book with a travel agent. Right now the cruise I am looking at would give me $200 credit.

My question is, if I book through a Disney Authorized agent (like Dreams Unlimited or somewhere else), will I get full access to my cruise details via the Disney Cruise Line website, where I can book excursions, and make changes, and all of that stuff?

Or would I need to go through my agent for every little thing?

I hate giving up control sometimes. LOL :) Let me know.

If you book through an agent, you can still do your own bookings of excursions/Palo/Remy/tasting seminars/character breakfast and photos. Any of the activities that you can book thru the DCL website.

If you want to change staterooms, change cruise dates, make payments, you will need to go thru your agent

So I know there are On Board Credit deals if I book with a travel agent. Right now the cruise I am looking at would give me $200 credit.

My question is, if I book through a Disney Authorized agent (like Dreams Unlimited or somewhere else), will I get full access to my cruise details via the Disney Cruise Line website, where I can book excursions, and make changes, and all of that stuff?

Or would I need to go through my agent for every little thing?

I hate giving up control sometimes. LOL :) Let me know.
I used to book on my own, then saw the deal I could get transferring a booking to Costco, so now I use them.

You need a Costco account ($60 to join if you're not yet a member). Whether you book originally via Costco or transfer a booking to Costco within 30 days of the original booking, Costco gives you 8.5% of the base cruise cost back in the form of a Costco cash card. This is in addition to any OBC discount you might already have. You get an additional 2% on top of all that if you're an Executive Member, and an additional 3% if you pay for the cruise with the Costco Visa credit card.

I don't shop at Costco much, but I'm using the cash card for gasoline purchases, since Costco has a gas station. The cash back from our Alaska cruise will provide me with almost a year's worth of free gas.

Some people say you can get all or most of the cash card cashed out, but I haven't tried that.

You do online check-in and DCL activities/excursion booking independently on the DCL website if you book via Costco.

Last edited:
Have used both and each has its own advantages. The TA can camp out at the phone for you to book your cruise when they become available at midnight. However he/she may not be available on weekends to answer a question or book an excursion. We have done enough (8) so that we either book the next cruise on the last or online. TAs do offer their perks, however.

I used to TA. Some clients want you to do everything for them, some want to do it themselves. Just clear it up beforehand. I once had a client who gave me all the info so I could make her WDW dining reservations for her and I got up early the day her window opened and she was changing the reservations as fast as I could make them (without telling me), so I'd go to review and see totally different stuff from what I had just booked.

I'm using a TA for the first time. The main reason is so I get the onboard credit. It's the EXACT same price as if you book through Disney directly and they take pretty good care of you. From what I've been told I'll be able to book my onboard and port excusions through disney directly. The only part I had to do "through" the travel agent is the deposit and final payment. Just make a note that none of the money gets paid to the travel agent. They are just a middle man. They get paid by Disney through commision. You don't pay them. But i'd recommend it if you find a reputable TA. Free money = win.

Have used both and each has its own advantages. The TA can camp out at the phone for you to book your cruise when they become available at midnight. However he/she may not be available on weekends to answer a question or book an excursion. We have done enough (8) so that we either book the next cruise on the last or online. TAs do offer their perks, however.
My DU agent ( not pushing DU) has responsed sat and sun to my emails. Apologized on a sat night she couldnt check something online as she was at her son‘s game. I replied goodness sake. This can wait until Monday. I don‘‘t get how people expect a leisure travel agent for personal trips should be at their call 24/7. now TMCs ( travel management like Amex for corporate is different). Yes as you said some agents are not available weekends. They have lives too. Now if weekend access is necessary for you please let this known thtis is to be expected. Then the right agent can be found at most agencies as some specifically work weekends.

I would totally recommend a TA if you want to have assistance, and the onboard credit certainly helps! In our case we tried the same TA we used for our last cruise, but they didn't have any credit to offer; so we ended up doing it through Costco and with some extensive research. As we'd gone the TA route before, we felt secure enough in doing so without this time, but the TA will certainly know more about things for freshman cruisers. :)

Mark

I used DU and never felt like I'd ceded control of the trip. My agent handled the actual booking and I had to authorize payments through her, but once the booking was made she handed over the necessary details for me to link the cruise on my own Disney account. Then I handled all my booking for onboard activities and shore excursions myself, and shortly after embarkation I got a note confirming that they'd deposited the expected bonus in OBC. Easy peasy, and when I booked my placeholder I put it under the same agent's name to handle whenever I'm ready to make the booking.

I decided to go through a travel agent (Dreams Unlimited) and got $250 on board credit. Then I just had them attach it to my online account and I booked all the excursions myself. Super easy, didn't even have to pick up the phone. Just got $250 free essentially. I will ALWAYS do this from now on.

Thanks everyone!

I have used a TA for my recent Disney trip and just booked a cruise with one. Not sure if my expectations are off but I'm not having the best experience. (I didn't use DU). Might just make my own in the future I'd get the same results I feel.

I always book my cruises through my TA. I have used my TA for years and I value their expertise and opinion when booking my cruises. On occasion my TA has even gone out of their way to provide exceptional service to me.

The OBC is the best reason to book, but keep in mind once booked you yourself cannot change anything on the reservation or make payments without going through the travel agent. Over the years, we book on our own and use the cruise line credit cards to earn OBC

We always book with a TA. We don't get much (or anything now I think) in the way of OBC from ours but we use her because: (a) she parks on the phones, not me; (b) she can get answers much faster than I can for my questions either because of her expertise or because of (a) above - she parks on the phone; and (c) if there's a problem I can call one person (or a delegate or someone else in the office) and have them solve it for me. They have much more knowledge and leverage than I do. She makes sure all of the final payments are made on time and lets us know of anything we need to or if anything changes. Since we rarely, if ever, make a change to dates, rooms, or names, there's really nothing I can't do myself. I book all of the excursions, dining (WDW as well as DCL), and check-in/PAT although she offers to do it if I want to and sends me a reminder when my window opens (though I have calendar reminders and touring plan reminders that do it for me). She also sends me links to her various travel videos so I can see some things firsthand. I could book on my own but why should I? It costs me nothing, saves my time and gives me peace of mind if there are issues.

We always book with a TA. We don't get much (or anything now I think) in the way of OBC from ours but we use her because: (a) she parks on the phones, not me; (b) she can get answers much faster than I can for my questions either because of her expertise or because of (a) above - she parks on the phone; and (c) if there's a problem I can call one person (or a delegate or someone else in the office) and have them solve it for me. They have much more knowledge and leverage than I do. She makes sure all of the final payments are made on time and lets us know of anything we need to or if anything changes. Since we rarely, if ever, make a change to dates, rooms, or names, there's really nothing I can't do myself. I book all of the excursions, dining (WDW as well as DCL), and check-in/PAT although she offers to do it if I want to and sends me a reminder when my window opens (though I have calendar reminders and touring plan reminders that do it for me). She also sends me links to her various travel videos so I can see some things firsthand. I could book on my own but why should I? It costs me nothing, saves my time and gives me peace of mind if there are issues.

YES -- THAT -- for Disney cruises, booking through a travel agent is huge. They spend the time on the phones on opening day and I just sit back and wait to get our quote. And they are so good - they ask ahead of time what cruises we want and what rooms we prefer, etc.

Just wanted to add that my DU agent is available on weekends and holidays. If she won't be available for any reason, she lets all her clients know in advance. (I actually felt guilty because she took the time to respond to a totally non-urgent question I had while she was dealing with a family emergency). So with the right agent, I don't think being able to reach them is a concern.

I book through DU primarily for the booking bonus, but the ability to get advice on all aspects of the trip is definitely a bonus. I recently got some advice on an issue I was having with airfare I booked on my own because I happened to vent about it to my agent.

If you use someone other than DU, make sure to understand their policies. My parents booked a cruise through another travel agent and when they had to cancel, she tried to charge them a previously undisclosed cancellation fee to compensate for the loss of her commission. Seems short-sighted to me, but apparently it happens.

I'm happy about booking via Costco because not only do they give the biggest amount of money back, regardless of whether you originally book through them or transfer within 30 days, they also always have someone available to handle inquiries during call center hours. I don't have to wait for one specific individual to get back to me.

Please check my Costco math:
Assume $10,000 price of cruise (7 day fantasy in July 2019, family ocean view for 5)
8.5% back=$850
2% executive cash back = $200
Pay with BJs gift cards at 4% off = $400

We are not Costco members, nearest one is 20 min away (no gas station there)
Executive membership for 2 years=$240

Net savings=$1210
(Plus whatever savings I get from shopping at Costco)

Further, I can book online at Disney cruise on opening day using the gift cards (to get my top choice for cabin asap), and then transfer to Costco within 30 days to get what I detailed above.

Is this all correct? Thanks.

If you have the Costco Citi credit card and use it, you also 3% back on your credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter