• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bonnie and Claire's DLRP Trip - Day Four

Bonnie

DIS Veteran
Monday June 13th 2005

Cast: Me (23) and my girlfriend Claire (25). In the photos, I'm the blonde with glasses, and she's the brunette.

NOTE: Click the little thumbnail images to see larger versions of the photos! I'm having to post the reports in sections as I have too many images! The board won't let me post more than 20 at once! :(

Although we had planned to go swimming this morning, we woke up at 8am and realised there wasn't really time, so we had a relaxing start to the day and wandered down to the Disneyland Park for our 9am Good Morning Fantasyland breakfast. We followed a couple of families who were also clutching the breakfast vouchers, and were directed to turn right just before the turnstiles and queue up there. (There were signposts saying "Breakfasts".) We queued for about fifteen minutes, and some people seemed to get very restless indeed! We were then let into the park as usual, by putting our tickets through the turnstiles and showing our breakfast vouchers. Once we got into Main Street (which was lovely and empty!), we were told to make our way to Au Chalet de la Marionette in Fantasyland.

We arrived there for 9.25am and handed our breakfast vouchers to the lady at the door, who took them off us. The breakfast buffet was laid out at the back of the restaurant, and had exactly the same food as the buffet at Sequoia Lodge. The only difference here was that we got plastic cutlery and paper crockery! I then made the most hilarious mistake I made all holiday. I'd chosen a little bread roll and a small portion of butter, and I was looking for a knife to spread the butter with, so I went over to one of the cast members and asked, in French, if he had any knives. He didn't understand me and looked quite disturbed, so I repeated the word several times, explaining that I needed a knife for the butter. "Do you have any knives?" I kept repeating. In the end, he just said that he really didn't understand, so I asked in English. He pointed the knives out immediately. "What is wrong with my French?" I asked myself.

We got our knives and sat down. After about five minutes, it dawned on me. I hadn't asked if he had any knives. I'd asked if he had any <em>brains</em>. Oh my goodness. Yes, instead of <em>couteaux</em> (knives), I had asked that poor, defenceless Disney cast member if he had <em>cerveaux</em> (brains). I can't believe that I have a degree in French. I honestly wanted the ground to swallow me up, but I was too busy crying with laughter. I did actually cry!

After that moment of absolute hilarity (which will probably haunt both me and the cast member for the rest of our lives), we enjoyed our breakfasts and then headed outside to see if any rides were open. Peter Pan's Flight wasn't yet ready, so we wandered over to Dumbo as I knew I wouldn't feel like queuing for it later. We were on the ride within a few seconds and I decided not to make our elephant go up and down because it felt incredibly unsafe, and kept creaking! Claire was very scared again, and we've decided that these spinning rides are not for us!

Peter Pan's Flight was open once we got off, and so we queued for a few minutes. This ride was always in my top five, but for some reason, I didn't enjoy it as much this time. It may have had something to do with the fact that Claire was scared of the little ship's mechanisms breaking (and I was getting used to her fear by this point), but it just didn't seem as magical as it used to.

By that point it was 10am and the park had opened, so we headed over to Frontierland and got in the queue for Phantom Manor. The wait time was about five minutes and although I enjoyed the ride, Claire didn't seem to like it that much and said it was scary! I think she was more scared by the part where you have to sort of "jump" into your doom buggy at the beginning of the ride; she's never been a fan of escalators, and it may have reminded her of that. After that, we had a wander around Boot Hill Cemetery.

At 10.30, we wandered over to the FastPass machines at Big Thunder Mountain and to try out the system for the first time. We managed to get FastPasses for the 11.50-12.20 timeslot, and then decided to have a go on Indiana Jones. To my great disappointment, once we reached the ride, there was a cast member there telling people it was closed for renovation on the Monday and Tuesday, i.e. our two final days. I've done the ride several times before, but Claire never has, and I always did enjoy it. It's a shame because we wanted to try to do every ride if possible!

After that, we went inside Le Ventre de la Terre and got thoroughly confused. We assumed this was the entrance to the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse, as the signposts seemed to claim, but we kept wandering around and couldn't find anything except for a bit of hidden treasure! I also noticed that it smelt a lot like a public toilet down there, and Claire remarked that people probably use it as such, considering it's quite secluded. Lovely! So we gave up on trying to find the treehouse, and walked across that terrifying rope bridge! I was not impressed by the fact that lots of people (adults included!) felt the need to jump up and down on it when I was crossing. I was very nervous indeed and glad to get to the other side. Claire then took a photo of some people working on Indiana Jones.

After exploring Adventure Isle a bit, we sat down and tried to make a plan of action for the rest of the day. We got out our park maps and ticked everything we'd done, circled everything we wanted to do (or do again!) and crossed out anything we couldn't do, such as Indiana Jones or the Molly Brown. We then had a little wander around near Captain Hook's ship, and at 11.20, had another go on Pirates of the Caribbean (finally spotting the entrance to the treehouse on the way in!) which had virtually no queue at all. The ride gets better every time.

Then it was back over to Fantasyland (spotting Mickey on the way) for another attempt at the Storybook Land Cruise. The queue today was not too bad and we decided to go for it as Claire had been whining about it all week. (I sound like I'm talking about a five-year-old!) Yet again, she didn't seem to like the part where you have to "jump" into the boat on the revolving platform, and I think she probably spent the whole ride worrying about having to get off at the end. Deary me!

By this time, our timeslot for Big Thunder Mountain was open, so we headed back to Frontierland (this time bumping into Eeyore!) and into the FastPass queue. We still had to wait for about fifteen minutes, but it was well worth the wait and even better this time. It's still my favourite ride! After that, we dragged ourselves all the way over to Discoveryland to queue for tickets for the Legend of the Lion King show, only to find that we'd misread the park map (not for the first time!) and they wouldn't be available until 3pm. Oops.

After that, we were ready for some lunch, and so we wandered back to Fantasyland and decided to have a pizza in Pizzeria Bella Notte. We ordered the Pizza Orientale to share, one portion of garlic bread, and drinks for us both, which came to 15 Euros. We were served in five minutes and really enjoyed the pizza. There was plenty for both of us as we're never that hungry at lunchtime.

We wandered around aimlessly for a little while, and then decided to sit down and make another plan of action: this time for tomorrow, as there were still lots of things we wanted to do in the Walt Disney Studios Park. After that, we walked onto It's A Small World (which Claire has now declared her favourite ride) and then decided to go on Le Carousel de Lancelot, which I liked more than I thought I would. Then, after a leisurely stroll around Fantasyland, we went to Adventureland and walked through Le Passage Enchanté d'Aladdin and the bazaar, and then at 2.15pm it was back for another ride on Pirates of the Caribbean, which was (yet again) a walk-on. On our way over there, we noticed that everyone was fussing about and pointing at Captain Hook's ship, and it turned out there was a real heron standing on one of the rocks. Everyone thought this was amazing and kept asking, "Is it real?" and taking photos. So of course I had to take one, too.

By the time that was over, it was time to get the tickets for the Lion King show, so we wandered through Fantasyland (bumping into the White Rabbit) and as we entered Discoveryland, Claire fell over. It wasn't just a little trip; it was a full-blown tumble and she landed with her entire body flat on the ground, face-down. I thought she'd hurt herself but amazingly, she hadn't, and we both had a good laugh at that as we headed over to the back of Videopolis to queue for the tickets in the scorching heat. Luckily, the queue moved very quickly once it got to 3pm, and we got two tickets for the 4.30pm English show. (These are free, but they have to give out tickets now due to the popularity of the show!) The stupid thing was that I asked for them in French, and the bloke thought I wanted tickets for the French show and looked at me like I was mad.

By now it was 3.05pm and we really wanted to catch the 3.15pm performance of The Tarzan Encounter, so we hurried over to the Chaparral Theatre in Frontierland and arrived just in the nick of time. Most of the benches were full, but we managed to get a seat near the back. It wasn't ideal as we had a huge wooden post blocking our view for most of the time, so I'd really advise getting there early for this show! We did enjoy the show, although it seemed quite far away, and I cried when "You'll Be in My Heart" started playing. (Possibly because it's the music used on that silly little DLRP trip-planning DVD I've watched a million times!) I was a little bit freaked out by the "monkeys" that ran up into the audience towards the end. One sat next to Claire and started scratching himself, and then played with the hair of the guy in front! The audience participation at the end, where children are allowed to get up and join in with the music-making, is very cute indeed. I would recommend that those with outgoing young kids (probably under-fives) get there early and try to sit in the front few rows in the middle, so that they can join in too.

The show was finished by 3.45pm and we decided to have a wander around Critter Coral for a while, where we saw some ponies, sheep, chickens, rabbits, and goats. We also noticed the Disneyland Railroad train stop at the station, where the driver filled the tank up with what I presume was water from the Thunder Mesa pump at the station. (I'm not familiar with the way steam trains work, though, so I may be wrong!) He splashed the front passengers with it, so I assume it was water and not some kind of diesel!

At 4pm, we decided we wanted ice creams, so we started to make our way over to Fantasia Gelati, stopping to pose with The Sword in the Stone on the way. Unfortunately, we had forgotten that the parade was starting, and we managed to get caught in the crowds. After a few minutes, we realised we'd be late for The Lion King if we didn't get over to Discoveryland quickly, but we just couldn't get through. Everywhere we turned, there was a dead end or a roped-off area. I started getting stroppy, saying "We're going to miss the show!" which really annoyed Claire, but after a lot of frustration, we finally reached Videopolis for 4.25pm. The tickets say to get there fifteen minutes early, but I'm afraid that just wasn't possible! Most people were already seated, but we somehow managed to get very good seats, four rows back, in the centre. We really enjoyed the show, although I found the large Simba standing to the left of the stage rather sinister for some reason. My favourite part was "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" I think. At the end, when the "animals" come up into the audience, a giraffe's bottom brushed against my arm.

The show finished at 5pm and we still wanted ice creams (considering we hadn't got them earlier), so we wandered over to Fantasia Gelati, where there was a queue of about ten people in front of us. We waited for ten minutes and during that time only one person was served, so we decided not to bother in the end. Instead, we headed out of the park and to Annette's Diner, where we ordered the "Elvis - The King" dessert with two spoons. This consists of cookies, brownies, vanilla, chocolate and caramel ice cream, chocolate sauce, flaked almonds, and the most humongous amount of whipped cream. It is <em>huge</em>. You need to share this thing, because you won't be able to eat it all yourself! We couldn't even finish it. It was very yummy, especially the brownie bits and chocolate ice cream, but there was far too much whipped cream for my liking, which made it quite sickly. (In the photos, it looks at though we had one each, but we didn't!) I wanted to choose some music on the jukebox, but then we realised it accepted Francs and not Euros. :(

We left at 6pm and did some shopping in Disney Village, before wandering over to the Panoramagique balloon and asking if we could use our hotel charge card there as we'd run out of Euros. They wouldn't accept the charge card, but they would accept credit cards with a minimum spend of 15 Euros, so we decided we'd use the MasterCard - but not today. We sat at the lake for a little while, looking at the baby moorhens and ducks, and thinking how tame the sparrows are here. We then strolled back to the hotel, spotting the Minnie Train on the way and taking a few photos of the pool.

After a long rest in our room, we headed back to Disney Village and arrived at Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show for 8.20pm. There were only about twenty-five people in front of us, and we were let in at 8.30pm. We handed over our tickets, were asked if we suffered from asthma (I would assume that asthmatics are seated further back, or possibly turned away? I don't know!), and were handed little green cards with "L1" printed on them. This meant that we were in the green team, Montana, and that we'd be seated at the front table on the left-hand side. Green-banded cowboy hats were then clumsily placed upon our heads, and we made our way into the bar area, past a few horses in stables. There are loos in here, as well as a bar and a little stage, plus an area where you can have your photo taken on another little stage. The photographer looked rather bored and so we wandered over to her, where she asked if she could take our photo. We had planned on having a photo taken here, so we said yes, and she seemed so grateful! She was very sweet indeed and told us to go up onto the stage, where her assistant showed us how to pose. It was really funny. They twirled us around a few times and said that we should stand back-to-back, and then she took a far-off photo (which was in colour, as we later found out) and a close-up in sepia tones. She then gave us a little ticket and said we could come back after the show and buy our photos if we liked them, but there was no obligation to buy.

We sat around for a while (and took a picture of the photographer because Berwyn said "wouldn't have minded a picture of her"! It's not a very good one, though, and I'm not sure it's even the same photographer - is it, Berwyn?), and then walked over to the little stage, which Claire climbed up onto and I couldn't quite manage it. After a few minutes, though, the people sitting on it were told to get off because the live entertainment was coming on. As a result, though, we were in the perfect position to see the entertainment, which consisted of a guy in leather who twirled guns in the air (and who seemed very self-assured and cocky!) and a sweet little country and western band who played a few songs and directed people to the correct stairs when the arena was ready. We were green, so we went up the left set of stairs along with the reds. The blues and the yellows went up the right set of stairs.

Once in the arena (we were let in at 9.15pm), we were directed to a table in the front row. You get a glass and a metal plate and bowl, plus a basket of bread to share between three, which contains three pieces of brown bread and three cubes of what looks like sponge cake. Claire thought this was for the dessert but it actually wasn't, and they took it away after the main course. I really have no idea! I had to share my basket with a very moody Italian couple who complained about every single thing. After a little bit of a warm-up in the arena, some cast members in green shirts came around and filled our bowls with the starter, which is chilli. They also give the children their main course at this point, and I stupidly thought that they'd run out of food for us and wondered why we didn't get any potatoes and chicken like the kids did. Duh! I'd never had chilli before and I was surprised that it was actually quite nice, though I wished I hadn't already eaten my piece of bread. They also brought around drinks - either Coke or beer - and we had Coke.

Each team is given an entertainer who comes into the audience area and tries to encourage the audience to participate in differing ways to the other teams. We were told to get our knives and forks and bang on our plates, which was quite amusing! The actual show didn't really get started until the main course was brought around, which was a lamb spare rib, a sausage, a chicken drumstick, "roast" potatoes, and some vegetables. I say "roast" potatoes because they were like no roast potatoes I've ever tasted in my life; they were rather hard and strange-tasting. The rest of the food was quite decent, though, and I especially liked the chicken and the lamb. The dessert, which came around after quite a while, was apple crumble and ice cream. Warning: You WILL burn yourself on your metal bowl if you touch it! Drinks were brought around three times, which isn't really unlimited, but it was enough for us.

As for the show itself, it was lots of fun. I wasn't sure at first, but once the audience participation started (don't worry - it's all voluntary, except the game where you have to pass the ball!) it started to get better. I should probably note that I don't really understand why the show would be problematic for asthmatics. We were in the front row and didn't see any dust at all; it appeared to be sand that was used in the arena and not sawdust. Maybe they changed it? In any case, I didn't see a single bit of dust. One of the volunteers for the shooting competition was a tiny boy, who couldn't have been older than three or four. I think Annie Oakley ended up shooting his gun for him, which resulted in his team winning! There are several different competitions (seven or eight) in which each team's cowboy has to complete a challenge, and you have to whoop and cheer your team on and hiss and boo at the other teams. I thought I'd feel silly doing it, but everyone does it, so you just don't think about it. I was in a much better mood when the moody Italian couple next to me decided to leave! They barely touched their food and then stormed out after the dessert arrived and was not to their liking. Bah! I was much happier not having to listen to them moaning about everything all the time. This also meant that when we played the "pass the ball" game, I was the last one to have to touch the ball before it went back into the arena, and we won that one, too!

We also won the main competition at the end, which meant that three members of our team were chosen to play a part in the final scene, which was quite amusing to watch. After that, we were each given a piece of the gold (which was actually a chocolate coin!) and the show ended. We really enjoyed the show, but I think it's one of those things you think you're not enjoying at the time, but then you look back and think, "That was fun!" After the show, we wandered back into the bar area and had a look at our photos. The colour one wasn't great, but we quite liked the sepia one and decided to buy it for 15 Euros. Celine, the photographer, was just the sweetest and cutest little thing in the world!

After that, we made our way back to our hotel, tired and happy. Today was great - probably the best day yet. We managed to do a lot of stuff and had a lot of fun, but I'm feeling sad that tomorrow is our last day.

Oh, and here's the photo of us from Buffalo Bill's. Again, click on the thumbnail image to make it bigger. :)

That was really good Bonnie. I really like your photos especially the ones with the ice creams and food from BB's. (I could eat that all over again.) YUMM
No it's not the same photographer. Shame :teeth: .
The picture of you both from Bb's was excellent.

Bonnie, what a well detailed report. The souvenir photo of you and Claire from BB is a lovely momento of your holiday. The show looks really good and we will do it, probably at Christmas.

I was nearly in tears about your incident with the CM at breakfast over the knives/brains!!! Now, you have a degree in French and you make a mistake like this! What hope is there for someone like me who just scraped a pass in an O Level nearly 30 years ago!!!:rotfl2: I think it will be safest if I limit my French to "Bonjour and Merci"!!!

Looking forward to Day 5!:sunny:

Your reports are so entertaining and so detailed Bonnie - I really enjoyed reading it and also loved your photos!! You really did lots in a short time. Roll on the next part!!

Thanks Bonnie, Another great report and super pics

Do you have any brains??? :rotfl: I laughed so much my daughter who comes home for dinner, asked me what was wrong.

The first time we went to Buffalo Bill's we took our slightly asthmatic daughter, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, we never saw any dust and were seated at the back - far away from the horses etc.

But oh my! After maybe 30 mins her eyes became very swollen and her dripped continuously - yuk. She left looking like she had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Good news is, for any asthmatics [which is what we did this year], if you have a quick word with your DR. before you go they can give you some quick working antihistimines that you take just before the show and hey presto :wizard: you have no reaction at all. Or at least she didn't this time!!

Brilliant report again Bonnie - almost as good as going!!

Ok not quite, but you know what I mean - hopefully :earsboy:

Excellent report as always.

Thanks especially for the tip re the Tarzan Encounter - I've got 2 under fives and they would definately want to join in the show if they can so I know now to get on a bench near the front.

Yet again, she didn't seem to like the part where you have to "jump" into the boat on the revolving platform, and I think she probably spent the whole ride worrying about having to get off at the end. Deary me!

I used to be like that!! Tell Claire that the best therapy is to keep going back to DLP and doing the rides until it becomes second nature!! ;) From what you've said it sounds like she would now be quite happy to do this!!

Another fab report Bonnie - thank you so much. :flower:

Berwyn - Aww, that's a shame. I thought it could be her because she was very cute, although somehow I imagined your photographer to look very different!

Elaine - I know, it's terrible! I felt so humiliated! Hopefully I'll never see the poor bloke again! I'm sure he was mortally offended. Being asked by a complete stranger if you have any brains is not the most pleasant way to start the day!!! :rotfl:

bonhoga - Very interesting about your poor daughter! :( I'm surprised as I really did not notice any dust at all. It sounds like the antihistamines did the trick though, and that's a good tip for other asthmatics to remember!

Joanne - I'm not sure if it was just kids in the front rows but I think it probably was as I didn't notice any kids from where we were sitting going down. It was cute to watch!

Bexx - Yes, I don't think she needs any convincing now! I will make sure she gets used to it. :teeth:

Another great report Bonnie. Considering the things they eat in France, that cast member may have thought you were actually asking for brains for breakfast! :eek:

I hated the rope bridge in Adventureland too - why do people jump up and down on it??!!

Rhiannon :wizard:

Bonnie another great report.
We managed to get front row seats for Lion King Show and kids loved the interaction with dancers.
Appreciate your comments reatding Tarzan show as i know my troop would love to be up dancing :banana:

Reid

Thumbs up for report day four Bonnie, even better with pictures. That one of the Nemos would make a wonderful large wall hanging - so bright and happy it would make every day a Disney day seeing that on the wall!
Are you sure you didnt actually have TWO icecreams on that table??!!??
Glad you enjoyed Buffalo Bill. Good detail in your report too, more more!!

Thanks everyone!

Widget - we most certainly did not have two icecreams! Hehe! And sadly I can't write any more, because there's nothing more to write. :( I posted the last part yesterday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter