• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boardwalk 2023 Renovation schedule

n2mm, Could you confirm if they have closed the entire hallway going down the Boardwalk View rooms - ie: are the garden view rooms across the way also closed at the same time? Just wondering, as that quiet back garden facing Swan are some of my favorite garden rooms - they're directly across the hall from Boardwalk view...so wanted to know if I'll still be able to get those.

n2mm, Could you confirm if they have closed the entire hallway going down the Boardwalk View rooms - ie: are the garden view rooms across the way also closed at the same time? Just wondering, as that quiet back garden facing Swan are some of my favorite garden rooms - they're directly across the hall from Boardwalk view...so wanted to know if I'll still be able to get those.
I think you are out of luck. For safety reasons it wouldn't make sense to have major construction on one side of the hall and guests coming and going on the other side. Maybe you could look at other locations of pool/garden rooms that you might like and give MS a call to request. Good luck!

That's pretty much what I'm figuring will be the case. I thought maybe they're only working the Boardwalk view rooms that start after the first Preferred wing - so wanted to see if at least part is open. My backup choice would be quiet pool, preferably one of the wings that extend out to the river. I'll find out in a few days I guess!

Yes, that’s been the thought since it was discovered that all BW view villas were blocked at the same time - that both the BW view villas and the P/G view rooms across the hall from them would be refurbed at the same time. Sounds like that’s what’s happening.

@zackiedawg, when is your trip? The BW view villas weren’t blocked after some date in November, so that may be when they expect to be finished that wing.

I’m here now. Got here on Saturday and here for 12 nights. Leaving 9/21. I posted an update….

lots of craziness and activities going on. The section on the bw view side is completely closed, every floor. The doors start at the entrance to the left when you get off the elevator. They’ve been taking things out continuously, beds, dressers, chairs, etc. it must be empty over there. A huge crew of workers. so much activity plus lots of detours throughout the day. Parking lot near tennis court completely closed for the construction supply site.
Thank you for the update! Wow! That is a lot of rooms blocked off. I'm happy to hear they have started. I doubt we will see any room picture leaks for a while at this point because if there is a test room it's likely in one of those hallways. Hopefully DVC releases concept art here soon. We have two standard studios booked for spring break and I can't wait to see them. Enjoy your trip!

I wondered that same thing, but since the elevator access to that side is completely blocked off, not sure how they would do that. We walked by yesterday and was watching for activity or clothes on the balcony, but saw nothing. With only one set of elevators it greatly affects that wing. Btw, saw bathtubs and drywall going by this morning.

Thank you for the update! Wow! That is a lot of rooms blocked off. I'm happy to hear they have started. I doubt we will see any room picture leaks for a while at this point because if there is a test room it's likely in one of those hallways. Hopefully DVC releases concept art here soon. We have two standard studios booked for spring break and I can't wait to see them. Enjoy your trip!
I know. I keep asking questions, not getting any info. A separate crew is working on the pool bar building today. They are doing major gutting of these rooms, hopefully there’s a crew coming in behind them. I was surprised every floor is closed down. Btw, it I did say, the parking near tennis courts is closed for construction material and vehicles. So they close that one section. We all know how bad parking is here during F & W. Hopefully the guards enforce the parking rules. We’re afraid to move our car.

That's pretty much what I'm figuring will be the case. I thought maybe they're only working the Boardwalk view rooms that start after the first Preferred wing - so wanted to see if at least part is open. My backup choice would be quiet pool, preferably one of the wings that extend out to the river. I'll find out in a few days I guess!
I didn’t get any of my room request. Pretty much they are filling rooms As you arrive. I arrived a 9:00am after my cruise and got my room 15 minutes later.

I'll get there tomorrow probably somewhere between 3-4pm. I drive up about 2 1/2 hours from S. Florida, so my arrival time is just depending on when I leave, traffic, and rain.

I had made a general room request as 'garden' or quiet pool, and also had made some specific room number requests - 4 of them were on the quiet pool side, and 4 were in the garden across from Swan - now I know I won't get those requests...given half the rooms are out of commission, I won't have high hopes for getting one of my specific room number requests, and will just hope for at least the quiet pool.

It is surprising they decided to knock out all floors at once for an entire wing of the building...that's quite a lot of rooms out of commission!

We were down a few weeks ago....split stay. First 1/2 was in the Grand and I was amazed by the 1BR there....2nd 1/2 was at Boardwalk which we absolutely love, but man, that 1BR needs a facelift something bad.

From what is now occurring, and having the boardwalk view closure in fall and standard view in Jan and Feb, it is likely the room renovations will be a three step procedure: (a) doing the boardwalk view rooms now along with the pool/garden (p/g) view rooms that are in the same hallway of the boardwalk view rooms, (b) then have the standard view rooms done along with all the p/g rooms that are in the same hallway as the standard view rooms, and (c) do any remaining p/g rooms where p/g rooms are on both sides of the hallway (no complete closure of all p/g rooms at the same time is needed in that process). That would mean that the completion of the renovations will likely be sometime in spring 2024, not early March.

Last edited:
saw bathtubs and drywall going by this morning.
Old bathtubs going out, or new tubs going in? If new going in, could you tell whether they were bubbler or just soaking tubs? (I’m pretty sure they won’t put in new whirlpool tubs.)

Old bathtubs going out, or new tubs going in? If new going in, could you tell whether they were bubbler or just soaking tubs? (I’m pretty sure they won’t put in new whirlpool tubs.)
Out. Not sure, they were sticking out the bin of trash.

It sounds like they are going to pause construction in November for the holidays? We are there over Thanksgiving in a 2BR SV and wondering what to expect.

Thanks for any insight!

It sounds like they are going to pause construction in November for the holidays? We are there over Thanksgiving in a 2BR SV and wondering what to expect.

Thanks for any insight!
Well, the BW view villas opened back up for booking starting in November, so the assumption is that they’ll be finished that wing. OTOH, the standard view villas weren’t blocked from booking until early January, so if the assumption that they won’t start refurbing SV until then is correct, you’ll probably get an unrefurbed villa. And maybe there won’t be construction going on, unless they block off the two short wings that have P/G view villas only (overlooking Croquet Lawn, Luna Park pool and quiet pool - see map https://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/BoardWalkMap.pdf).

That’s if the assumptions and speculation are correct.

Well, the BW view villas opened back up for booking starting in November, so the assumption is that they’ll be finished that wing. OTOH, the standard view villas weren’t blocked from booking until early January, so if the assumption that they won’t start refurbing SV until then is correct, you’ll probably get an unrefurbed villa. And maybe there won’t be construction going on, unless they block off the two short wings that have P/G view villas only (overlooking Croquet Lawn, Luna Park pool and quiet pool - see map https://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/BoardWalkMap.pdf).

That’s if the assumptions and speculation are correct.

Thank you for your reply! That is what I was thinking too. I don't mind not having the refurbished Villa. I would prefer that over the construction is the guess is correct, but also know that things can run behind schedule so we'll see. I'll report back what I see then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter