Big News

My first thought was “oh well, if I want to stay at the riviera, I’ll just rent points.” Then that got me to thinking... direct riviera buyers may be screwed when it comes to resale, but they may also be able to get a premium price when renting out their points. As I’m sure I’m not the only DVC owner with that idea.

direct riviera buyers may be screwed when it comes to resale, but they may also be able to get a premium price when renting out their points.

It will depend on how well executed Riviera turns out, but I suspect demand for rentals will still lag the near park resorts and not get a premium. If a lot of owners try to rent rather than get crushed in the resale market, there could be an eventual oversupply...

It will depend on how well executed Riviera turns out, but I suspect demand for rentals will still lag the near park resorts and not get a premium. If a lot of owners try to rent rather than get crushed in the resale market, there could be an eventual oversupply...
True

No
No apparently they just have to have an agreed upon sales contract before the 19th. Closing can be after.

I agree with you and its a fair point never to buy a timeshare assuming you will make money or break even. I do however question would of as many people bought into DVC, had they known the resale market may be awful? I know personally the idea I could obtain some value from our contracts God forbid something happen made it easier to sign on the dotted line.

My main goal was to go to WDW as you pointed out, but knowing the resale market had some value made it easier to agree to buy in.

the solid resale market is the primary reason I purchased resale in the first place. Had there been no solid resale market, I'm not sure that I could have convinced my wife to go along with this.

If anything this really hurts the unsuspecting first time buyer going to Disney and buying Rivera (and probably that new nursing home on Bay Lake). They will buy based on pixie dust and the guide will not even mention the resale market. Fast forward 10-15 years when job loss, divorce, natural disaster what have you hits, and that family is going to take a massive loss if they sell.

All resorts start having resales somewhere in the 4-6 month mark - something comes up. We'll see what happens sooner rather than later.

My first thought was “oh well, if I want to stay at the riviera, I’ll just rent points.” Then that got me to thinking... direct riviera buyers may be screwed when it comes to resale, but they may also be able to get a premium price when renting out their points. As I’m sure I’m not the only DVC owner with that idea.

A premium price would not deter you from renting there? Unless it became the only onsite option it won't be able to go too crazy.

Looking forward to buying that Riviera contract in 2022 at $50 a point...assuming Riviera is a decent resort.

I think we're (or at least new resale buyers) are very, very lucky they didn't declare ALL resale contracts now get you only home resorts going forward. And that still could come in a few years.

By that theory - you should be able to buy the contract in resale for low $$ and rent out the points at premium.

I just don't see Riviera being a demand hog along the lines of BCV and VGF. Sure it's got the gondola, but it's only really close to Epcot, the views are gonna be of another hotel from 1/2 the rooms and of a highway from another 1/4, and it's pretty huge size-wise so their will be a lot of points out there.

Looking forward to buying that Riviera contract in 2022 at $50 a point...assuming Riviera is a decent resort.

I think we're (or at least new resale buyers) are very, very lucky they didn't declare ALL resale contracts now get you only home resorts going forward. And that still could come in a few years.

this is kind of what I'm wondering about. If the resale prices are low enough, it could be a good spot to own via resale. Direct access to DHS and Epcot in the coming years will be very attractive. And if you buy resale, selling resale 5 or 10 years later shouldn't be an issue.

Said Disney.

Hah hah, good point, but at a certain point, they will have new resorts to sell..they won't want to ROFR hundreds of contracts.

In the end - it's just more example of the dilution that DVC is under going as something favorable to owners.

I think if they did that they would almost certainly face a class action legal challenge. Doesn't mean they might not try and ultimately win, but far less controversial to change the value of something that no one has been able to buy yet before they can.

FWIW, if they ever did announce that they are going to limit resale contract of the existing 14 resorts to home resort use only I will immediately sell my points for whatever I can get before the rule change takes effect.

I agree with this. I'm wondering if there will be any kind of premium for a grandfathered contract that would have access to Riviera (or any other future resort) at the 7 month window. I'm not thinking right away, but over time it seems like access to the new resorts might get harder and harder as more "old" resort contracts are resold and lose access.

I agree with this. I'm wondering if there will be any kind of premium for a grandfathered contract that would have access to Riviera (or any other future resort) at the 7 month window. I'm not thinking right away, but over time it seems like access to the new resorts might get harder and harder as more "old" resort contracts are resold and lose access.

I would think so at some point, assuming nothing else is coming down the pipeline.

Do you mean a premium on rental contracts, not purchases?

Is this the result of the recent change in leadership?

That question has run thru my mind. It coincides with the change although almost certainly had to have been in the works. Did Potrock not want to do it but it was directed so he was moved or asked for a reassignment? Is the new DVC head going to be a bit of a scape goat? Or were they a driver in it? Was it contemplated for years and she pushed to go ahead? I have no idea how quickly DVC would maneuver on something like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter