Beverage package

Okay, I promised I'd write my thoughts about the Allure sailing 4/20-4/27. Let me preface by saying I have never written a trip report before, and I've never been to the trip reports threads, so I'll do my best.

13 DCL sailings, all four ships. This was first Royal for us both.

Booked the cruise last June. Throughout the year we noticed the price dropped a couple of times. Each time we called, they very happily accommodated us with the new price, and we kept our $100 stateroom credit each time. The final week of the cruise, we kept logging on and watched the suite prices dropping daily. We initially had an ocean view balcony in the $2300 range total for us both. (Two adults, no kids). Two days before sailing, Friday, we saw the price for the Junior Suite was $460 more, so we called to see if we could upgrade. On the phone she said she saw it was actually going to be $360 more, so needless to say, we grabbed it, and upgraded, so total for two was $2751 for Junior Suite. We thought that was a good price for 7 nights on Allure. Let me say one thing I have read about repeatedly on the DCL forums. I always always read about how much cheaper Royal or other cruise lines are than DCL. I wonder how many people have taken into account the room sizes? We noticed when first booking that the balcony room was smaller, and the Junior Suite was I think 285 sq. feet. We typically sail a Family Stateroom on DCL, which is 304 sq. feet, and has two bathrooms. So on Royal, at least the Oasis class ships, you have to get into the suite category to still not even have the same size room, and still only one bathroom.

Checkin at the port was a breeze. Got to port about 11:30, got in line, waited about 5 minutes, got our keys, and could get right on the ship. The first impressions of the ship are fantastic. If you've seen the pics of the Royal Promenade on Allure, that's where you enter. It's very "Caesars Palace Forum Shops" like, if you've been to that place in Las Vegas. Big, busy, vast. It all looked shiny and new. We had prepaid the beverage package in advance after checking past DCL folios for 7 day cruises and seeing that we would at least break even or better for us. Not soda drinkers, so wasn't worried about the "nickel and diming" that we all read about on these boards, but the beverage package came with the cups for the freestyle Coke machines anyway.

The room was ready at 1pm. It was actually beautiful, and very well kept up, clean, didn't notice any wear and tear at all. And even though it was technically 20 sq. feet smaller than DCL Family Stateroom, it didn't feel like it. Just missed the second bathroom, but it was fine, the one bathroom was spacious enough.

Food: We dined and pre-paid at 3 specialty restaurants, Giovanni's Table, 150 Central Park and Chops. We had main dining room twice, and Izumi once and Vintages once. Giovanni's was very reminiscent of Palo. My filet actually tasted just like it, and our appetizers and desserts and pasta were great as well. 150 Central Park was fantastic, I wouldn't say it's quite on par with Remy or Victoria and Alberts, but then again, it is only $40 vs. $75 for Remy. It was I think 6 courses. You don't order, you basically just get the 6 courses. We did the wine pairing with it, even though we had a beverage package. It was an additional $75 each, and we thought it was worth it. Actually, since we were on the beverage package, we got 10% off so it was $120 additional total. One thing to add--I had searched but never found an answer to this. The beverage package says you can have wine "up to $12 a glass". If you order any wine more than that, they only charge you the difference. For instance, at Chops I wanted a $14 glass, so was charged $2, just FYI in case anyone was wondering like I was. Chops I was expecting to LOVE as I am a steak lover. It was good, but didn't blow us away. The best part of all three of these restaurants, is they are located in Central Park, which is the open area you see in all the pics. We dined outside in all three venues, and it was quite spectacular to look up, see ship on each side, and then the sky and stars, surrounded by the trees. It was crazy to think all this was on a ship. A great way to dine for sure. For the cost, we did think all three were worth the up charge. Again, we all read these boards, we all see the "Royal nickels and dimes you ". But you don't HAVE to pay anything extra at any restaurant, just as on DCL. We also always read the food in the main dining rooms are blah. We thought they were good both nights, I would honestly say exactly on par with Disney main dining rooms, so if you like those, I think you'd like these, and if you think those are just ok, you'd probably think the same of the main dining here.

Also, Izumi is a sushi place, it was good, we love sushi, loved the room, it is quite classy. Prices were higher (it is a la carte pricing there) than I expected for the ship, but would go again in a heartbeat. They are open for lunch on sea days and dinner nightly. Promenade Cafe is open 24 hours with light finger sandwiches and desserts. Sorrento's Pizza is open until 3am every night, and BUSY up until then every night, it was crazy how busy that ship is at night, compared to DCL. We are late night people, didn't make it to bed before 4am any night of the cruise, so we know, lol. The pizza was definitely decent enough, it was always available to walk up and ask for whichever one, or you could build your own personal pan and they bake it for you. All of those were complimentary. Never tried WindJammers buffet, but walking through it once, it looked good actually, but I never eat the buffet on DCL either.

Shows: Chicago was fantastic, truly. We've seen it several times, as we had an extended run here in Vegas for a few years. We expected it to be a "cruise ship" version, but it was excellent. Ocean Aria was pretty good, if you like O, Le Reve (I keep referring to Vegas shows, as that is where I live and many disboarders visit Vegas and perhaps have seen them). Ice Games was alright, the comedy show was good, they had 2 comedians. Blue Planet I personally didn't like. It's Cirque du soleil meets America's Got Talent, which is fine, I love both of those things, but the show didn't do it for me. The biggest surprise to me was the "Headliner" show. We booked all these shows in advance online about 75 days out. Same with the restaurants. It's very different than DCL, where there are 2 shows, 6:15 or 8:30, or whatever times. These, you go online, and you have about 6 choices for each. It was all very easy to select online, and fun actually, with all the choices and options. We chose the 10:30 or 10:45 pm show for each of the above mentioned. When you book online it just says "Headliner Show". We thought, "Let's book it just to have it, but probably won't keep it", since we didn't really want to see a juggler or ventriloquist. Again, don't get me wrong, I like jugglers and ventriloquists, nothing against them, but having seen them on DCL and America's Got Talent and 20 years in Las Vegas, it didn't matter to us if we missed it. Well, it wound up being an ABBA tribute band called Abbacadabra. That may not be for everyone, but it is RIGHT up our alley. Love ABBA, the 70's, Mamma Mia!, all of that stuff. So it was literally an hour of them acting like ABBA and singing 20 hits, one after another, with some light banter here and there. That was a bit odd, the banter, as they really were acting like they were the divorced couples, but it was so much fun, I wanted to go back the next night and see it again, but I didn't as I didn't want to miss the comedy show. I have no idea what kinds of other headliner acts they usually have, but I feel like we got lucky for our taste and style. LOVED it, loved Chicago.

Ports: We are typically "ports on our own" people, so didn't pre book anything. First stop was Labadee, Haiti. If you are a typical DCL cruiser and think Castaway Cay if fantastic, prepare to be underwhelmed with Labadee. It's VERY VERY busy, at least with a ship the size of Allure there. I don't believe there is any adult only beach, which probably isn't a big deal to most people on disboards. On Castaway Cay, I usually only go to Serenity Bay. No such thing on Labadee. Also, the beaches aren't as kept up as Castaway. They were rocky, definitely bring aqua sox. Also, when you go from one side to the other, you walk through the typical local shop/market area. I was actually surprised at how aggressive they were. I was surprised Royal would allow the locals to be so aggressive with trying to get you to buy. It was worse than Nassau (in the sense of bartering and the aggression when you walk through their straw market). So prepare for that. It started to drizzle while we were there so a lot of people went back to the ship, and honestly, that was first time I got to sit on a beach chair and go in the water and enjoy, otherwise, good luck finding a chair and beach time.

Falmouth--This is one where you might want to book an excursion on the ship or in advance. We're not fearful travelers, we feel like we are experienced cruisers, but we weren't ready for Falmouth. The initial port area is perhaps the most beautiful and clean of any that I've been to. It's all the shops and little pop up "bars" or coffee stands and such. But then you get to the end and the gates, and you see big red "Warning" signs. Saying, beyond this point, if you get a cab, they can't be trusted, you better get a cab inside. And just out of the gates you can see the madness in the streets. I don't know how to describe it, but we really didn't think it was a good idea to venture beyond the gates on our own. I'm sure others do and everything is fine. We decided to try to book a little open air train/tram tour through the city, but the next departure was an hour away, and we'd already done our shopping and browsing, and it got very hot. So we sat at the fountain for a while and took in the beautiful scenery of the initial area, then went back and enjoyed Flow Rider and such with minimal lines.

Cozumel--great port, lots to do, I'm sure many have been there.

Pools: All we read about on the DCL forum is how small the pools are on the new ships for the size of the ship, and how awful the sea days are. Okay, now honestly, we have ONLY ever been to the adult pools on the 4 DCL ships, and Satellite Falls of course on Fantasy. I guess we have gotten a pretty good flow to know when pools are busy on sea days and such. We honestly never found much of a problem with crowds at the adult pools on the DCL ships. Well, even though there are many pools on Allure, literally every one of them looks like what the family or kids pools look like on DCL. They were SO crowded, that I was surprised at how much I read about the complaining on the DCL boards considering these were JUST as crowded. Including the solarium, the only adult only pool. (Adult being 16 and older at this pool). The three sea days, the solarium "pool" was always packed as well, and a lot of people drinking. Not to sound like an old fogey at age 40, but it looked like a frat party every day. I think the beverage packages people want to get as much bang for their back so they drink a lot. Don't get me wrong again, we love cocktails as much as the next guy, but the small pool was much smaller in person than it looked in pics, and we did not get to go in it, but for maybe 10 minutes later in the day a couple times. We did go in the beach pool once, when it didn't look too busy about 7pm. I love the area, and the idea of the beach pool, but again, SO busy usually. But we hadn't been in the pool 5 minutes when several kids started running, splashing, diving, jumping all around us. It occurred to us then that we had never actually been in a pool on a cruise that allowed children in it. It was fine, but being used to the adult only pools, it was off putting that the one in the solarium wasn't really big enough for the size of the ship, and was always crazy busy and loud.

So this is my other biggest comparison. I know probably the majority of people on the boards have kids, travel with family. We are two adults, and have only every traveled with other adults, or adults who kids were always busy at the clubs. The biggest surprise to us was that there is NO adult only dining option on this ship. Considering the number of restaurants, you would think they could make one or two, even DCL has 2 on the new ships. It was weird to see kids at 150 Central Park and Chops, and even Giovanni's and Izumi. I'm not a kid hater or anything, but needless to say, not everyone's kids can sit still and behave during a "fine dining" experience like 150 and Chops are supposed to be. Also, evidently "curfew" is 2am on the ship. There were kids and packs of rowdy teenagers EVERYWHERE late at night. All over the Promenade where there are clubs, and Sorrento's Pizza, and Promenade Cafe. It was crazy how many packs of loud rowdy teens were roaming the ship up until 2am. People say to us all the time, "You don't have kids, how can you go to Disney all the time?" Well, I can honestly say we saw more kids and had encounters with more kids than we EVER have on DCL. I guess DCL does such a good job, or a good enough job of keeping the adult only areas separate and the kids areas separate and the kids busy all day and night, that other than Pirate Night or some events or dinner in the 3 dining rooms, we hardly see kids on DCL. Here, there is no avoiding them.

One other minor thing, I hate to call it a complaint, so I'll just use the word surprise again. On DCL, when you go to the adult districts at night, you have Skyline, Pink, Tube, District Lounge, O'Gills, whatever. Each of them has their own menu of specific specialty drinks specific to that bar or lounge. Of course they all have a full bar and you can get anything, but it's so cool how each of those areas has their own menus specific to the lounge. No such thing on Royal. There are so many clubs and lounge and bars (Boleros is fantastic, loved it and fortunately (or unfortunately) found a great bartender early on), but yet there is only one generic menu for the whole ship. It's very reminiscent of WDW pools, where there is the one generic menu at every pool or hotel bar. I was surprised at that. It would have been nice to see a specific menu at Boleros, one at Blaze, one at the Jazz Club, etc., with their own specialty martinis and stuff. No big deal, but if you've been to the lounges on DCL, you know what I mean.

I realize this is long, and if I saw a post thing long, I'd probably skip it myself, but I wanted to post as much as I could remember. Feel free to ask me anything and I'll answer. I also realize I aimed this at a family without kids. We met some very good friends traveling with their 11 year old daughter and she loved the kids programs and activities, and they hardly saw her all week. In fact, we only saw her twice ourselves in 7 days. We rebooked, and will definitely sail Royal again. We rebooked Quantum and will definitely do the third Oasis in 2016. We have 2 more DCL's between now and Spring 2015, and will keep those. With the pricing skyrocket on DCL, I don't know how many more will be in the future after that. We will not hesitate to book Royal anytime. Best tip, keep an eye on the pricing, as our dropped and we got the upgrade for cheap. Thanks if you read this, and again, ask anything, I don't mind sharing anything I can.:thumbsup2

Thanks for review!!!
Q: what do on labadee for free?
Q: what to do in Cozumel?

Thanks

Thanks for review!!!
Q: what do on labadee for free?
Q: what to do in Cozumel?

Thanks

On Labadee there are several different areas for beaches, but as stated, it was crowded and busy. There was a small sort of arena that had locals doing a little dance performance.

Cozumel there are so many different beaches that are free, if you're a beach person you can't go wrong. By the taxi area there is a big board that lists taxi prices to whichever beaches you are looking to go to, so it was pretty easy to pick one and know what you'll be paying for taxi.

Scooby - thank you for the great review! I've been considering RCI since DCL's prices have been creeping up. We have 3 booked in the next 12 months, so I'm still open to changing one if I find a great deal. I hesitated on the KSF offer in March because I don't like the feeling of wondering what I'll be charged for and what I won't. The more I have time to research, it helps, but there are still so many questions.

The activities you mentioned you did onboard, which cost extra? I have 6 and 16 y/o DDs and don't want to spend the week telling them "No" because we had made the switch to "save money".

I guess I just like the peacefulness of DCL and not walking around asking "How much?" Kind of like not wanting to be hassled at the ports. :-)

Scooby - thank you for the great review! I've been considering RCI since DCL's prices have been creeping up. We have 3 booked in the next 12 months, so I'm still open to changing one if I find a great deal. I hesitated on the KSF offer in March because I don't like the feeling of wondering what I'll be charged for and what I won't. The more I have time to research, it helps, but there are still so many questions.

The activities you mentioned you did onboard, which cost extra? I have 6 and 16 y/o DDs and don't want to spend the week telling them "No" because we had made the switch to "save money".

I guess I just like the peacefulness of DCL and not walking around asking "How much?" Kind of like not wanting to be hassled at the ports. :-)

There are plenty of free things to do onboard actually. The flow rider has the stand up surf version, and then two of the boogie board versions. There were tons of teens doing those every time we passed by or did them ourselves. But honestly, even things like Johnny Rockets restaurants, which is an extra cost was only $6 for anything you want except milkshakes. We loved our Johnny Rockets lunch that day. The carousel was free, there were afternoon Dreamworks character parades and a show at the Aqua Theatre with the characters, all those were free, I'm sure your 6 year old would love. Also they had a couple of afternoon performances of How To Train Your Dragon on Ice. Someone else mentioned on another thread, and I agree-even though there are up charges on things like soda, or the cupcakes ($1.50-3.50), no matter how much of those you bought in a week, it still is WAY less than the cost difference between DCL and RCI. Don't get me wrong, after. 13 DCL with two more booked, we still love them, but the pricing has gotten sp insane. We can't wait to do RCI again. Not a soda drinker here bit I believe the soda package is $20 a day, and in all honesty, the freestyle Coke machines are way cooler than any old fountain dispenser any day. If you've never seen them, google it, they're cool. Hope that helps a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter