Best way to Miami from MCO

wattage

Earning My Ears
We have a DCL cruise scheduled for April 2019- leaving out of Miami. We plan to fly into Orlando, rent a car and drive to Miami the day before our cruise. We'd be arriving in Orlando around 1:15pm on a Tuesday. It's about a 3.5 - 4 hour drive to Miami. I'm worried this would put us in rush hour traffic. Can anyone suggest a way around rush hour traffic?? GPS says that we should take the Florida Turnpike all the way down to the port of Miami. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We're flying into Orlando due to airline choice and that after the cruise we're staying at W DW for five nights. Flying into Miami is cost prohibitive.

5 pm traffic around Miami is horrible! The turnpike doesn't go to the port so you either end up on 95 south, or 836 east (portions are toll with electronic payment ONLY ... as is the turnpike once you hit dade county ... plan accordingly with the rental car)

You may wish to consider stopping in Lauderdale or other parts north leaving just an hour drive or so for the departure morning

THEN wait for the morning rush to clear and arrive into Miami around 10 ... return the car etc ...

Last edited:
You can take the GreeneWay (SR 417) from the south exit of the airport and get on the Turnpike a couple of miles down the road or get on the Beachline (SR 528) and go south on I-95.

Either way, once you pass the Ft. Pierce area, the traffic continues to get heavier as you drive south. Once near Miami, it's like Lord of the Flies. Be careful. (You'll be fine, but just keep your eyes open for wacky drivers.)

Last edited:
Download Waze on your phone, it’s almost always the best way to navigate traffic. I wouldn’t personally stay in ft Lauderdale unless it was a price issue, I might find a couple places to stop and hit dinner in ft lauderdale to let traffic clear out before proceeding to the hotel.

When we cruised from Miami after a WDW stay we drove to a hotel about an hour's drive from Miami and then just drove the last bit the following morning. The hotel was cheaper being out of Miami and we had a relaxed drive the following day dropping the car at the airport before getting the shuttle to the port.

We especially appreciate the heads up, we are doing 4 days in Orlando before heading to Miami for the ship and dropping off the rental car. I Really Really Appreciate the heads up as we have always just paid the tolls as we got to them since the rental agencies charge by the day (airport to WDW then onward to Port Canaveral), I didn't realize there were areas in Florida where you had to use the electronic sunpass and couldn't pay as you went. We don't live in an area with toll roads- thanks for sharing!

Use the express lanes on I95
Yes... anyone can grab a SUNPASS at Any fla store , Publix etc.. and use it to Bypass the rental add on fees for Not having it. u can easily register online.
Safe travels and enjoy!

Can you share a little more, does this hang from your mirror or a sticker you have to put on the license plate. IS it something you can add value to or does it expire annually. We had skytrain tickets for Vancouver but their system changed and they don't work anymore, so I realize nothing is an absolute, but can anyone add a little more about this, how does the toll camera know to look for a sunpass rather than bill the rental agency (who would pass it on to us) vs one we might buy in a store. Or what its termed so I can google for more details. Has this been an option for any non Florida resident who rented a car? I'm hoping, especially for Orlando to Miami- thanks in advance! The only toll roads we've experienced were in FL- appreciate all the advice. Rental agency is $3.95/day for our 6 days, but only need it day 6.

The portable version looked like a solution, but when i followed along to purchase, it did say it must match the vehicles that are registered to it. With varying rental car plates each time we visit FL this is probably better for people who are close enough adjacent to FL that they bring their personal car. We're 3,000 miles- it'll always be a rental unfortunately. Really appreciated the tips from locals, I was feeling like a kid in a first swim class- out of my depth. We'll pay the rental company to use theirs- Thank YOU.

All you have to do is go to your online account and change the plate info. We live in FL and use our personal transponders in rentals; it takes a few seconds to update the info at each end of the trip.

The portable version looked like a solution, but when i followed along to purchase, it did say it must match the vehicles that are registered to it. With varying rental car plates each time we visit FL this is probably better for people who are close enough adjacent to FL that they bring their personal car. We're 3,000 miles- it'll always be a rental unfortunately. Really appreciated the tips from locals, I was feeling like a kid in a first swim class- out of my depth. We'll pay the rental company to use theirs- Thank YOU.
We purchased a portable sunpass several years ago while down in FL and bring it with us each trip. When you register a license plate to it, it asks if it is a rental and when you click yes you are then asked for the dates/times of the rental. It’s worked great, just don’t forget to remove it from the vehicle when you turn the car in.

Thanks to everyone for the great information - especially about the Sun Pass!

concur

you can order the sunpass and have it b4 you leave for florida .. set up the account from home

get the APP

with the APP it takes less than a minute to add a rental to your account ....

get the portable .. $20 version ... the sticker is intended for use on ONE car only so I'm not sure the APP let's you add/delete vehicles so easily. According to 'them' the sticker must be attached to the windshield and is destroyed when removed. OTOH I've had my portable for over 10 years, use it on 4 different vehicles AND RENTALS as needed and even loan it to friends who visit. I'll loan to relatives IF they leave a deposit.

How many in your groups ? Depending on what day and time you can fly to MIA on one of the air shuttles from $ 65 to $120. Are you renting a car and parking in Miami until after cruise ? For just 2 I would look at flying and renting the car for return to Orlando if keeping for WDW stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter