Best trip for the youngest kids?

hmkenn0

Mouseketeer
I would like to hear opinions from people who have brought young kids on trips or who have been on trips with young kids. We have a 4 1/2 year old and were planning to do the Germany trip in two years, but... we just found out that we will be having another baby in Dec so they will be nearly 5 years apart which pushes our trip back nearly 7 years :-(. So I was thinking that maybe we could do a different trip when the younger one is 4-5 (although that is still a long, long time :-(!). What do you think about taking a child that young on any of the trips?

I can't speak for any other trips, but I would NOT take a 4-5 yo on Viva Italia. Too much walking and sightseeing for that age.

My guess would be that the U.S. trips (Southwest Splendors, Quest for the West, D.C., Yosemite) would be the best for young kids. We were on the Southwest Splendor's trip with a 5 yr. old and some 7 & 8 yr olds in the groupand he did well. Also, we did Hawaii with a 4 and 6 yr old in the group in 2006--ABD no longer offers this trip :0( All the kids that I mentioned did great.

The trips that are more focused on the outdoors and national parks (Maybe Costa Rica would be good as well) seem to be easier for young kids, since they can play and get their energy out--rather than going through museums. Of course, this depends entirely on the temperament of the kid.

Good luck making your decision!

Turtlemom

I did Germany last year in October and we had 22 participants of which 5 were children-all girls-on our trip. Youngest was almost 5 (an only child), then another 5 year old and maybe 7,9 and 11. The youngest was carried alot by her Dad (young, strong guy). There is a fair amount of walking (cobblestones), many churches and sites that would not interest a child that young. The other 5 year old had a touchy stomach the first couple days-maybe the jetlag so I felt that hindered the parent's participation. The bike ride was done by all of them and I think they all enjoyed the trip. So if you are up to carrying your child of that age when they wear out I say go for it. It was one of the best trips I have ever done and I am looking forward to doing one in 2010 as I almost have the Germany trip paid off. I went with my Mom who is 78 and very active. She wore out from the walking too so it was good to have the family pace. It was fun to see the kids enjoy the fairytale theme of our trip. We are considering Ireland in 2010 if my Mom stays healthy and active. I was told by a couple who was on our Germany trip and then did Ireland this May that there is a little less walking and no cobblestones on the Ireland trip.

There was one 5 y.o. on our Ireland trip. She did really well -but had older siblings that watched out for her.

The first day in Dublin -is mostly indoors and I think many of the kids got a little restless then. After that much of it was outdoors and never any really super long walks. We walked more on our free time than we did with the group.
I think one of the hardest things about taking a child that little would be trying to hold yourself back. There were things I wanted to do with our free time and my girls (11 and 14) were just too tired. I imagine that would be intensified with a little one.
If your child can be quiet on a group tour-while a guide is talking and can follow directions (don't touch etc..) I think you would be fine.
Also -the weather in Ireland was very nice -it never gets super hot or cold -so the kids didn't wilt in the heat.
:)

There was one 5 y.o. on our Ireland trip. She did really well -but had older siblings that watched out for her.

The first day in Dublin -is mostly indoors and I think many of the kids got a little restless then. After that much of it was outdoors and never any really super long walks. We walked more on our free time than we did with the group.
I think one of the hardest things about taking a child that little would be trying to hold yourself back. There were things I wanted to do with our free time and my girls (11 and 14) were just too tired. I imagine that would be intensified with a little one.
If your child can be quiet on a group tour-while a guide is talking and can follow directions (don't touch etc..) I think you would be fine.
Also -the weather in Ireland was very nice -it never gets super hot or cold -so the kids didn't wilt in the heat.
:)

I agree...I think that Ireland would be a possibility for the youger kids. Of course the traveling to get there is a pain, but once there I thought it had a good mix of group time, on your own time and special activities for the kids. Of course by the time your children are old enough, you will probably have a better idea of what your kids can handle. My mom and I took my niece (8 y/o) to Ireland last month with ABD, but there was no way I would have taken her younger brother (6 y/o). He just needs way too much supervision and has way too much energy right now.

We are considering Ireland in 2010 if my Mom stays healthy and active. I was told by a couple who was on our Germany trip and then did Ireland this May that there is a little less walking and no cobblestones on the Ireland trip.

Just to let you know there are cobblestones in most of the places we stopped at in Ireland.
Just take a look at some pictures from different reports.
There are inclines, not difficult but hilly and windy, in various places too.
Just something to consider.
Dublin - flat with cobblestones in various places such as Trinity College
Killarney - incline to the waterfalls, cobblestones in different places in the city
Rock of Cashel - bus parks at the bottom of the hill
Cliffs of Moher - windy and incline to the top

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter