Best Nausea Medicine

Mambo Junkie

DIS Veteran
I've been trying to read the different methods that some employ in order to not feel sick on rides. I do not get sick in the front of a vehicle, and sometimes not the back, nor do I get sick on straight on roller coasters. I can ride the Tower of Terror (yay!) but not RnR. I can't do anything that goes sideways or has a lot of twists and turns. Body Wars almost did me in. There are several rides I have never been on or haven't been on lately for fear of ruining my day. I have not ridden Space Mountain in a number of years (it seemed to get worse as I got older) and have never been on Star Wars or EE. I really want to do these things so I'm going to break down and try an anti nausea medication.
I've been reading different threads I could bring up, and I've taken Dramamine in the past but it didn't seem to work well. Haven't tried coke syrup (sounds awful - that might make me turn green without even riding anything) and I'm hesitant about the patch (I once tried the patch back in the days when I used to smoke and it began to itch terribly; since I was visiting in NYC I took it off for fear of having to go to the hospital). So, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be wonderful! I have scheduled fps for SM, Star Tours, RnR and EE; I really want to ride these. Most of the fps are either before we break mid day or last thing of the evening, just in case.
Thanks!

As I get older I notice I now have motion sickness which I never did before! Dramamine usually does the trick for me but since I'm on a lot of meds for Crohn's I cant really take it since it clashes with some of my meds :( I picked up the Dramamine all natural to bring with me. It's made completely with Ginger which is great for nausea and motion sickness! If you don't want Dramamine at all you can always buy candied ginger at an Asian supermarket or probably even your regular market and try that. Good luck!!

As I get older I notice I now have motion sickness which I never did before! Dramamine usually does the trick for me but since I'm on a lot of meds for Crohn's I cant really take it since it clashes with some of my meds :( I picked up the Dramamine all natural to bring with me. It's made completely with Ginger which is great for nausea and motion sickness! If you don't want Dramamine at all you can always buy candied ginger at an Asian supermarket or probably even your regular market and try that. Good luck!!
Can you buy that at the drug store? I don't take medications so this is a big step for me. I love the idea of something natural.

Can you buy that at the drug store? I don't take medications so this is a big step for me. I love the idea of something natural.

I bought it at Target and it was pretty cheap. Right next to the regular Dramamine,it's in a white and green package. Maybe someone who has taken it before can shed some light for us because it's what I'm bringing so I'm really hoping it works!

I've had horrible motion sickness my entire life and for the past 10 years I only use Bonine, and have had no problems at all. It's Over the counter next to Dramamine. Will not make you drowsy though like Dramamine. 1 small chewable pill in the morning will last you all day. Good luck!

I've been trying to read the different methods that some employ in order to not feel sick on rides. I do not get sick in the front of a vehicle, and sometimes not the back, nor do I get sick on straight on roller coasters. I can ride the Tower of Terror (yay!) but not RnR. I can't do anything that goes sideways or has a lot of twists and turns. Body Wars almost did me in. There are several rides I have never been on or haven't been on lately for fear of ruining my day. I have not ridden Space Mountain in a number of years (it seemed to get worse as I got older) and have never been on Star Wars or EE. I really want to do these things so I'm going to break down and try an anti nausea medication.
I've been reading different threads I could bring up, and I've taken Dramamine in the past but it didn't seem to work well. Haven't tried coke syrup (sounds awful - that might make me turn green without even riding anything) and I'm hesitant about the patch (I once tried the patch back in the days when I used to smoke and it began to itch terribly; since I was visiting in NYC I took it off for fear of having to go to the hospital). So, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be wonderful! I have scheduled fps for SM, Star Tours, RnR and EE; I really want to ride these. Most of the fps are either before we break mid day or last thing of the evening, just in case.
Thanks!

Normally I don't have issues with motion sickness. However, Mission Space really made me queasy. We went on a cruise a couple of weeks ago (for the first time) and that made me nauseous as well. I plan to take bonine every night as a preventative, just in case. My doctor did not recommend the patch because of the side effects. You can order bonine on Amazon, it's dirt cheap. If for some reason you still have issues, green apples *really* help with nausea and they can be purchased in all the parks. Good luck!!!

Bonine is where it's at. Wife and I both have issues and our kids are really getting into the simulator rides. I'm able to do Star Tours with no issues.

I have motion sickness issues as well (i.e. I can't sit in the back seat of cars) so I take less drowsy dramamine on the days that I know I will be hitting RnR and Star Tours (or crazy coasters at other parks). I also carry candied ginger with me (really helps calm my upset tummy). I will NEVER attempt Mission Space/Orange side, nope, now way. I have no issues with Primeval Whirl, ToT or Space Mountain for some reason. :confused3 EE almost did me in once when I did it (stupidly) two times in a row.
Good luck!

ETA: I also have to take dramamine AND wear earplanes when flying. Of course, if I was allowed to sit in the front seats with the pilots like I do with drivers in cars, then I'm sure I'd be fine. ;-)

Last edited:
For us it's Dramamine that does the trick. They even sell an Equate version at Walmart for half the price. We tried Bonine one time on a flight back from Savannah and the results were not favorable for my DD12! I think it's just how your body reacts to each one that determines which anti-nausea aid is right for you :)

I have motion sickness issues as well (i.e. I can't sit in the back seat of cars) so I take less drowsy dramamine on the days that I know I will be hitting RnR and Star Tours (or crazy coasters at other parks). I also carry candied ginger with me (really helps calm my upset tummy). I will NEVER attempt Mission Space/Orange side, nope, now way. I have no issues with Primeval Whirl, ToT or Space Mountain for some reason. :confused3 EE almost did me in once when I did it (stupidly) two times in a row.
Good luck!

ETA: I also have to take dramamine AND wear earplanes when flying. Of course, if I was allowed to sit in the front seats with the pilots like I do with drivers in cars, then I'm sure I'd be fine. ;-)

I do fine on a plane as long as I don't sit next to a window. I'm probably one of the few who requests not to have a window seat!

ETA: Thank you all for your responses; I might just have to try both. I really want to do this, plus since it's just DH and me, he won't go on anything I won't and I feel it takes away from his enjoyment. Normally I can hide behind a small DGD. ("No, y'all go ahead, I'll wait here with her") lol

Normally I don't have issues with motion sickness. However, Mission Space really made me queasy. We went on a cruise a couple of weeks ago (for the first time) and that made me nauseous as well. I plan to take bonine every night as a preventative, just in case. My doctor did not recommend the patch because of the side effects. You can order bonine on Amazon, it's dirt cheap. If for some reason you still have issues, green apples *really* help with nausea and they can be purchased in all the parks. Good luck!!!

I too got violently ill on Mission Space Orange; we're going on our first cruise this Christmas, and the cruise boards keep saying the ship is so big it's not an issue; but really nervous about motion sickness. If I wear the patch the first few days, does the body adjust to the motion of the ship and stop feeling sick even without meds?

TIA

My daughter swears by motion wristbands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/112041957512?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

$_58.JPG

I'm planning on bringing some candied ginger from Trader Joe's. I figure that even if it doesn't work on nausea, we still have an enjoyable sweet for between meal snacking.

I figured out that my "motion sickness" is a result of wearing the 3-D glasses on the rides; particularly Star Tours and even Toy Tory Mania. This is just in the last year (I'm 66 on Sept. 14), so I'm sure it's age-related. I was able to ride TSM without the glasses and I was fine, but it certainly wasn't as much fun!

I use the generic(store brand) of Bonine or Dramamine II. It is a less drowsy formula. It makes me feel a lot better than the original Bonine and Dramamine. I don't feel queasy on Expedition Everest or Tower of Terror. I hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter