Best mid-priced hotel near Universal??

teachk2

Earning My Ears
Hi all! It's been a long time since I've visited these boards, but I know I'll get some great advice. My question: what is a good mid-priced hotel near Universal? My family is going on a cruise in March and we've decided to stop in Orlando for a couple of days to do USF. We need to find a decent hotel. There are two adults and 3 kids in our party. Any suggestions??

Thanks!!

Father-inlaw stayed at the Holiday Inn Universal (Kirkman Road) which is across from the main entrance to US-Orlando.
I booked him on Travelocity for $49.99 per night and we picked him up there and had the breakfast buffet (small,but ample) a couple of mornings at the TGIF located next to the main lobby.
We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel....overpriced, but front of the lines passes.

There are several good hotels near Universal:

Days Inn on Major Blvd

Radisson Universal (LOW priced on Priceline) 3 star

Red Roof Inn on Major Blvd

and the above mentioned Holiday Inn.

I would check on any Entertainment or AAA rates at the Hard Rock for that time period also. The Hard Rock is a great deal if you get a good rate, I've gotten as low as $99 a night, and the Universal express perk is worth every dime!

Hi, check out the rates at the HardRock. LIke Robin said, express line is worth the money and you can WALK to the Universal parks or take the little boat. Very cool.

Thanks everyone! We'd love to stay at the Hard Rock, but I've checked and the price is just too high for our budget right now. Any suggestions as to where I might get a good price for the Hard Rock?? Can we have 5 people in a room there? Keep the info coming on any other hotels near Universal. Thanks again!

The Embassy Suites Jamaican Court has packages for Universal and Sea World (or at least they did have in the past). The room worked out to be about $99 a night (I know, not exactly midrange, but...). They have (or did have) free shuttles to both parks (parking is $7 a day). The main cost cutter there would be the breakfasts. If you haven't stayed there, you'll find them hard to believe - an all-you-can-eat hot breakfast buffet plus you can have anything else you want cooked to order (all included in the room rate). Their rooms are 2 room suites which would give you plenty of room and include a microwave and fridge. We ate a big breakfast, a late lunch, and snacked for dinner. The I-Ride Trolley goes up and down International Drive for about $1 a day (which would provide ample dinner options if you don't have a car), but I'm assuming you will be driving.

We stayed at the Convention Center location, but they sound very much alike. The Conv. Ctr. property had an indoor pool (you never know in March), and I think the JC location does too, but you'd have to check to be sure.

Good luck with your trip!

Also try the Clarion Universal on Universal Blvd. You can book online under the Orlando Hotel Discounts link at the top of this page.

I just remember....when I was looking at places near Universal for a trip, I checked into Hawthorn suites. They are a nice chain of suites and have hotels near dt disney, SW and Universal.

Check out their website www.hawthorn.com

At one time they had some real good rates, and I think that hotel is fairly new.

Hercam

The Wellesley Inn is nice. We got a great deal a few years ago ($41/night) for a king room with microwave, fridge, etc. They also have a shuttle to the park if you need that.

We stayed at the Amerisuites on I-Drive recently and loved it. We got it thru Priceline for $13/nt. (although recently it has gone for about $28/nt. plus bonus) and it had a King bed and a pull out sofa. I'm not sure how old the kids in your party are. We have three girls (but they're still very young) and we all fit in the room just fine. In addition, it had a refrigerator, sink and microwave which came in very handy. They also have a free deluxe continental breakfast every morning (muffins, waffles, toast, french toast, bagels, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, milk, etc.) which was great. If you're interested in trying Priceline, check out Sheryl's board, www.biddingfortravel.com, for a lot of tips. In fact, we liked the place so much that we would even consider a conventional reservation if we couldn't get one thru Priceline!

Thanks again everyone!! I knew I could count on the great people that visit these boards.
I've narrowed my choices down to three: AmeriSuites Universal (Caravan Court), Springhill Suites Orlando Convention Ctr/I-Dr. and Sierra Suites Pointe Orlando. If anyone has any info on these properties, please let me know. We're leaning towards a suite hotel since they give us more room. The three kids are ages 15 (DS), 14(DD) and 10 (DD), so we need a little more space. Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter