Best DVC Resorts To Have?

stgibbs

Earning My Ears
I’m sure this comes up ALOT, but I wanted to hear some fresh perspectives.

My husband and I are new to DVC as of January 2024 and we bought Riviera direct with 200 pts. While I wasn’t excited about the resale restrictions, the resort was nice and we did what we thought was a smaller contract with intention to buy other contracts. In the end, we had it at 178/pt with incentives. At the time, it wasn’t known if the island tower was going to be apart of same association for Polynesian.

We have since bought 50 pt contract at Polynesian via DVC Resale Market, but have a call with our Rep on what direct prices might look with incentives come 10/01. We may do another 100-150 depending on what the prices look like. Polynesian was always what I originally wanted but I was worried about the tower might being a different association and I felt the original resort lacked varied room options. The bungalow is a bucket list item for me and having my larger family in it.

But that brings me to the ultimate question, if you’ve been doing the math… we are at 250 currently and may go up to 350-400 points between Riveira and Polynesian. Where else would be a good home? I keep seeing that we may want around 500 so we can have enough points for mixture of studio and 1 bedroom stays and occasionally rotating year of a grand villa type set up for my large family for a week. We have no kids ourselves. The most often times we’d want to visit is spring and fall into winter (March/April and October-Early December)

We don’t think we’d want anything expiring in 2042 like Old Key West, or Beach Club, etc. Personally, I’m kind of leaning to Grand Floridian because well it’s the “grand” or Cooper Creek, but should I thinking to just double down in the two we have? Cooper Creek seems like it would be nice to stay in for December timeframe. Though I think without 11 month booking window, it might be hard to get a cabin.

What are your thoughts?

Shout out the Derek, Paul, Amy, Panda and Jeff though from DVCFan! So many of their videos have been helpful this past year.

Well, the cheapest GV is at OKW, which you can get with an expiry of 2057 and would probably need to own to ensure you got it
But it sounds like you want to be in the heart of the MK area so, BLT resale shouldn’t be ignored in terms of buy in value/dues and better GV point chart to VGF, CCV is solid choice too

However, If you really want VGF then go for it

Personally I think the best way to go about it is to diversify based on location and pick your favorite at each location. You have Epcot, HS and MK covered. My next step if I were you would be to consider either Aulani or a Disneyland resort if you ever plan to travel there frequently.

We bought AUL because it’s the cheaper of the two options between DL and AUL but also I see us using vacationing more frequently here (currently writing this from a 2BR at AUL :p) than at DL. If I were going to DL even somewhat regularly I’d buy a DL resort and gamble at 7 months here at AUL though.

If only wanting a WDW resort, I’d go for something that gives me priority on something that is otherwise difficult to book without owning there like an AKV club level room, BCV in general, Copper Creek during the winter etc.

Last edited:
With multiple home resorts and smaller contracts, you'll have to be on top of banking/borrowing at the 11 month window or being comfortable with rolling the dice at 7 months in order to get a full week stay at the higher costing properties (and you own at two of the most expensive). How many different stays throughout the year are you planning? What's the typical length? Are you comfortable with split stays?

Assuming you are using these points for multiple stays, I'd go in the direction of diversifying. If you are only doing one trip a year, I'd add on at Riv or Poly just to maximize how many points you have at the 11 month window. (I'm assuming with 500 points you are thinking about multiple shorter trips.)

I also suggest checking out the availability tables at www.dvcfieldguide.com to see the odds of getting your preferred resorts at 7 months, unless you truly want to stay everywhere. For example, Copper Creek in early December is one of the hardest reservations across DVC, so if I knew I wanted that, I'd definitely add on there.

Last edited:
With multiple home resorts and smaller contracts, you'll have to be on top of banking/borrowing at the 11 month window or being comfortable with rolling the dice at 7 months in order to get a full week stay at the higher costing properties (and you own at two of the most expensive). How many different stays throughout the year are you planning? What's the typical length? Are you comfortable with split stays?

Assuming you are using these points for multiple stays, I'd go in the direction of diversifying. If you are only doing one trip a year, I'd add on at Riv or Poly just to maximize how many points I have at the 11 month window. (I'm assuming with 500 points you are thinking about multiple shorter trips.)
+1 to this. If you need to combine points from different home resorts to get a full stay booked, it’s almost like having 11m priority nowhere, because you’re competing for limited availability at 7mo. If you plan to combine less than every few years, maybe go for it, but would be terrible to pay a premium for VGF and PVB or VGC if you’re functionally using them like SAP, may as well buy SSR. We typically do 3-5 night stays so I’m diversified and mostly content with it, but we’re developing a taste for 1 bedrooms (and eventually might want 2 bedrooms) which means there’s going to be a lot of banking and borrowing in our future.

I would definitely add on to the contracts you currently own so you have flexibility at the resorts you love. At 7 months if you get the itch to be somewhere else, flexibility is the key. You will have enough points to take a Deluxe rather than a Standard at whatever resort. The cheapest sell out first, so you will have many choices at 7 months. Make your home resorts count at 11 months.

Enjoy!!

If you’re looking to stay at CCV during December, you will definitely need to own here. It was the sole reason I bought CCV. It’s been extremely difficult to secure stays here even at the 11 month mark.

I have two resorts and it has always been great when booking just for DH and me. But many times we have family/friends - and of course my own adult kids/grandchildren. Two own small DVC contracts. Always tough trying to book at the same resort, larger accommodations, giving them some points/booking for them etc. (they own at SSR).

Depending on how often you think you might want to invite family/friends/want to stay at same resort or book a GV, additional points at the two resorts would be ideal. If I kept adding on and on, (a ton of points), I might consider an additional resort.

Good luck whatever you decide and enjoy the points and planning!!

Well, the cheapest GV is at OKW, which you can get with an expiry of 2057 and would probably need to own to ensure you got it
But it sounds like you want to be in the heart of the MK area so, BLT resale shouldn’t be ignored in terms of buy in value/dues and better GV point chart to VGF, CCV is solid choice too

However, If you really want VGF then go for it
“Heart of Magic Kingdom” only matters mostly for potentially those bigger trips with family with the young ones and ease of access to go back to room if needed. Maybe that’s where Polynesian is enough.

Personally I think the best way to go about it is to diversify based on location and pick your favorite at each location. You have Epcot, HS and MK covered. My next step if I were you would be to consider either Aulani or a Disneyland resort if you ever plan to travel there frequently.

We bought AUL because it’s the cheaper of the two options between DL and AUL but also I see us using vacationing more frequently here (currently writing this from a 2BR at AUL :p) than at DL. If I were going to DL even somewhat regularly I’d buy a DL resort and gamble at 7 months here at AUL though.

If only wanting a WDW resort, I’d go for something that gives me priority on something that is otherwise difficult to book without owning there like an AKV club level room, BCV in general, Copper Creek during the winter etc.
I have thought about Aulani as we would like my reason to visit Hawaii again and more regularly, but from what I read, do you really need 11 month booking window priority there?

I have thought about Aulani as we would like my reason to visit Hawaii again and more regularly, but from what I read, do you really need 11 month booking window priority there?

Unless you are visiting in June or over Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year, typically no. Especially if you are flexible on view type.

How many points are you using per trip (multiple times per year?)

This!

+1 to this. If you need to combine points from different home resorts to get a full stay booked, it’s almost like having 11m priority nowhere, because you’re competing for limited availability at 7mo. If you plan to combine less than every few years, maybe go for it, but would be terrible to pay a premium for VGF and PVB or VGC if you’re functionally using them like SAP, may as well buy SSR. We typically do 3-5 night stays so I’m diversified and mostly content with it, but we’re developing a taste for 1 bedrooms (and eventually might want 2 bedrooms) which means there’s going to be a lot of banking and borrowing in our future.
Also this. :)

Generally no, however, we have used it to book the coveted hotel room for 2 full weeks in May/June which we would otherwise not be able to get which saves us a lot of points and it also guarantees we get to go when the kids are out of school in the summer. The difference in point cost is not small between a hotel room and an ocean view studio. I’d say if you want to go to Aulani regularly which we will be because we’ll be west coast based long term then it’s worth it. If you only plan to go every 5-10 years probably not worth it. Especially if you’re okay with paying a premium for higher cost rooms like 1BRs and higher views you probably don’t need to own here. But it worked out for us because we get a home resort priority we actually take advantage of, the points were pretty affordable, I never have to worry about booking our vacation to Hawaii in the summer, and if we take a break from Hawaii I don’t have any issues using them at WDW at 7 months. Subsidized AUL make great SAP+ points.

Last edited:
Generally no, however, we have used it to book the coveted hotel room for 2 full weeks in May/June which we would otherwise not be able to get which saves us a lot of points and it also guarantees we get to go when the kids are out of school in the summer. The difference in point cost is not small between a hotel room and an ocean view studio. I’d say if you want to go to Aulani regularly which we will be because we’ll be west coast based long term then it’s worth it. If you only plan to go every 5-10 years probably not worth it. Especially if you’re okay with paying a premium for higher cost rooms like 1BRs and higher views you probably don’t need to own here. But it worked out for us because we get a home resort priority we actually take advantage of, the points were pretty affordable, I never have to worry about booking our vacation to Hawaii in the summer, and if we take a break from Hawaii I don’t have any issues using them at WDW at 7 months.Subsidized AUL make great SAP+ points.

Those subsidized AUL contracts are like tracking a unicorn down. It only comes every so often! GL on the search but I suggest buying where you would imagine staying the most to get the benefit of 11 months window.

You can usually get SOMETHING at 7 months but that might mean 1 bedroom villas or premium view categories, and that can get very expensive. Last trip, we wanted 2 Bedroom Island Garden View February 10 to 18 (ending on Presidents' Day Weekend) and we ended up needing to do a 4 / 4 night split stay which was a pain in the butt.

You can usually get SOMETHING at 7 months but that might mean 1 bedroom villas or premium view categories, and that can get very expensive. Last trip, we wanted 2 Bedroom Island Garden View February 10 to 18 (ending on Presidents' Day Weekend) and we ended up needing to do a 4 / 4 night split stay which was a pain in the butt.
Split stay at the same resort? I guess you're still without a home for the day, but at least you don't have far to travel, just makes you want to go explore the area away from then resort, which is nice too.

Split stay at the same resort? I guess you're still without a home for the day, but at least you don't have far to travel, just makes you want to go explore the area away from then resort, which is nice too.
I wouldn't mind it in a studio but we use the kitchen in a 2BR, and moving kitchen stuff is a pain in the buns.

If you think you're going to end up with a total of 500 points, I'd keep it at 2 resorts. 3 resorts is a bit to keep track of. I'm a big fan of SAP+ points - meaning - if you travel at very hard-to-get times (Christmas week), then definitely pick a resort you will be happy booking at 11 mo (THE reason we got more VGF points).

Because we don't have our hearts set on going to DL or Hawaii at particular times of year and regularly so, we are ok with using our WDW points as SAP+ points. We know that if we want to go to Aulani, we should be "resigned" to "accept" ocean view and spend more points, and even so perhaps need to waitlist or be flexible. With VGC, we aren't looking to stay in studios, though we can if we need to. So far, looking at availability, 1br and larger are much easier than studios at VGC, while studios are fairly available at VDH (because few larger units have been declared?). This winter break, we are spending a big hunk of points to stay in a 2br that we booked at 8:00am 7 mo in advance. Other than Easter and Christmas and Thanksgiving breaks, the other times we have more time off is (obviously) summer; our kids' schools don't start until September so August is a pretty good "sort-of-low-season" time for us to travel. Half the US is back in school, which makes it a lot easier to book DVC. And early December and early January which are also typically hard to get for DVC times just aren't in play for us since we are living with a school schedule for at least the next 10 years.

In other words, OP, you mention a larger family but I don't know if they're all young or what ... if you think you'll end up in 2br a lot (especially if your kids are young now) - look at room capacities. 2br LOs at VGF and RIV (where you already own) sleep 10, and have 3 showers A 2br at CCV sleeps 6 and has 2 showers. That can be a big difference once you have tweens/teens/young adults/adults. I would hold off on Poly and look at how many points you'll need for a 2br (and how many people it will sleep) vs Riviera. I continue to think RIV will still have good incentives and if you love it, it's a great place. Studios and 1brs each sleep 5 (not all resorts do), and 2brs sleep 9 (ded) and 10 (LO). You'll have a lot of options. And if you buy direct you can break up into smaller contracts so if it's not suiting you, you can add on slowly and/or shed contracts if need be.

A final note about buying a studio-heavy resort: VGF is now pretty studio heavy, and sold out. It's not always easy to get a 1-2br (or a studio in the old building) because now they're relatively scarce compared to studios, and a lot of the VGF owners who bought in before VGF2 do not have much interest in the new studios. And with a new resort where not all the units get declared all at once, it may be hard to get the larger units at Poly until more get declared. This was our experience with VDH - only a few larger units have been declared, so relatively easy to get a studio at 7 mo but hard to get a larger unit (they seemed to be fully booked at 11 to 7 mo, unlike VGC). So consider whether buying Poly now will leave you with still mostly longhouse studios or bungalows until more units get declared. For now, I'd rather have my larger unit booked at Riviera and look into switching or waitlisting later.

We know that if we want to go to Aulani, we should be "resigned" to "accept" ocean view and spend more points, and even so perhaps need to waitlist or be flexible.
See Aulani with "waitlist" and "flexible" gives me a panic attack because your flights often aren't going to be flexible. You're probably going to have to book them way in advance and you're not going to have a ton of options. If your ideal resort at WDW isn't available at 7 months, you have a dozen viable backup plans. If Aulani isn't available at 7 months, you're fairly screwed.

If Aulani is going to be in your rotation even as often as once every 5 years, I think it's worth owning a contract 1/3 the size of your needs for a single trip. We like 8 nights in an Island Garden View 2BR in February (392 points) so we're in the market for a ~150 point resale.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest