Best DLR Good Neighbor Hotel?

BlueGreen5

Mouseketeer
Recommendations for a family? Just need something for one night in the < $500 range. Will not be there for more than 12 hours as we'll be checking into VGC the next day (likely dropping off our bags with bell services and going to a park). Convenience, cleanliness and safety are paramount. Nothing else - restaurants, pool, service, etc. - really matters. Turns out there are an overwhelming number of options.

Here's a vote for Tropicana. It's reasonably priced, it's right across the street, and it's clean. I've stayed there many times with great experiences.

Another option is Best Western Park Place Inn, also right across the street. Clean and reasonably priced.

You could also consider Best Western Stovall's, which is quite close to the GCH main entrance. This will be a bit cheaper than the Harbor options because it's a bit further of a walk to the park entrances. This might be a good option to consider because you wouldn't have to go through Downtown Disney or security to get to the GCH if you're walking from the offsite hotel to GCH. You might be driving, in which case it won't matter (but it is still a shorter drive than from Harbor)! I haven't stayed here in about 10 years, but it was always clean.

We are a family of six and usually stay at the Courtyard Anaheim Maingate. It’s within walking distance on the park. They have bunk beds, so it is nice to have the family all in one room. My kids also really enjoy the water slides area.

This.

Doesn’t even have to be a good neighbor hotel, sounds like you won’t need to buy park tickets or anything

Any of the ones right across the street on harbor are fine
Good point. If the OP has a car, they could even consider Buena Park or Garden Grove for something slightly cheaper.

Good point. If the OP has a car, they could even consider Buena Park or Garden Grove for something slightly cheaper.

No car.

The next morning, we'll probably Uber from the hotel to VGC around 6am, drop off our bags with bell services, and head to the park. I assume we'll have EE because we are checking into VGC that day.

You are there for less then 12 hours. Just get something cheaper across the street. Pick one and call it good.

Haha, this is the most stressful part! "Picking one and calling it good" isn't in my nature. I need to be able to explain to myself WHY I'm picking the one. Like I pick "random hotel #1 on Harbor," and it's fine, but then I find out that "random hotel #2 on Harbor was a smidge more convenient and the same price," I'm going to beat myself up all week.

Fully acknowledging that I'm an insufferable person to travel with.

We have done this same scenario multiple times! If we fly vs drive, I like to pick an arrival night hotel near the Walgreens and CVS on Harbor and W Katella. Then we can grab a case of water and some snacks to take with us to the GCH (okay, sometimes wine and/or beer too!). I usually pick Hyatt House or Hotel Indigo (usually the cheaper of the two). We prefer hotels vs motels, but Candy Cane is also a nice option (motel style). We have never had to wait very long for an Uber to GCH, but we usually go over pretty early in the morning to try to make EE (like 6am lol).

I also like OlliePop27's idea of Best Western Stovalls. If you don't have a ton of luggage you could just walk to GCH. That may be harder if you have small kids in your group though.

I hope you have a great time! I can definitely relate to the decision fatigue!

I usually pick Hyatt House or Hotel Indigo (usually the cheaper of the two).

I was looking at both of those since I can use points - I assume no problems at either?

I also like OlliePop27's idea of Best Western Stovalls. If you don't have a ton of luggage you could just walk to GCH. That may be harder if you have small kids in your group though.

We're walkers, but I don't think I'm going to be able to push my group to walk two blocks with luggage at 6am so that we can get in line for EE lol. If I tell them all they need to do is sit in an Uber for a few minutes, my life expectancy increases considerably.

The next morning, we'll probably Uber from the hotel to VGC around 6am, drop off our bags with bell services, and head to the park. I assume we'll have EE because we are checking into VGC that day.
If you stay at Pixar Place, will Disney transfer your luggage to the GCH for you?

I was looking at both of those since I can use points - I assume no problems at either?

We're walkers, but I don't think I'm going to be able to push my group to walk two blocks with luggage at 6am so that we can get in line for EE lol. If I tell them all they need to do is sit in an Uber for a few minutes, my life expectancy increases considerably.
Hyatt House is a bit nicer and newer, but we have had no problems with either. Both were clean and fairly quiet. I'd give an edge to the beds at Hyatt House, but Hotel Indigo's were also comfortable. The staff at both locations are great too. If you can use points, that's even better!

And, lol, I totally get what you mean about walking from Stovalls! That is kind of a big ask at the crack of dawn 😄

Last edited:
No car.

Haha, this is the most stressful part! "Picking one and calling it good" isn't in my nature. I need to be able to explain to myself WHY I'm picking the one. Like I pick "random hotel #1 on Harbor," and it's fine, but then I find out that "random hotel #2 on Harbor was a smidge more convenient and the same price," I'm going to beat myself up all week.

Fully acknowledging that I'm an insufferable person to travel with.

If convenience is most important, I'd pick something right at the crosswalk like Best Western Park Place Inn or Park Vue.

If you stay at Pixar Place, will Disney transfer your luggage to the GCH for you?

I thought about this, but then I realized that I would essentially be paying a couple hundred dollars for this service and it just didn't seem logical.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest