Best Disney Hotel for runD weekends?

XoxoAmy

Attends every runDisney weekend
I know this is soooo subjective, but I would love to hear what everyone's favorite Disney hotel/DVC is for runD weekends? Easy of transportation to races, food options for the night before the race, overall convenience for post race park days, etc. What's your top choice?

I’ve done Coronado twice and loved it because I was in the Casitas section, which was close to the first parks bus stop, and not far from the pool. I can’t speak to the food.

I stayed at All Star Music for Princess 2022 and did not like it. The resort is really long, and I ended up having a long walk to the buses/food and wouldn’t stay there again. But I like All Star Movies, and will be staying there for Princess 2023

May sound odd, but Saratoga Springs (with Old Key West just behind) are my preference. The big reasons are because of how quiet they are and having good access to Disney Springs for food options. I have never really had a big struggle with the bus transport for the races either. The monorail resorts are maybe a touch easier with the monorail transport (at least for all the races starting in Epcot). However, the noise around those resorts wipes it out for me; between the fireworks at Magic Kingdom and the Electric Water Parade, it can really be a pain when trying to get that sleep in for those early starts. Also don't find the food options as appealing.

I don't really do the parks for runD weekends, so that does not factor in much for me. If I did, the monorail resorts are certainly more attractive.

I know this is soooo subjective, but I would love to hear what everyone's favorite Disney hotel/DVC is for runD weekends? Easy of transportation to races, food options for the night before the race, overall convenience for post race park days, etc. What's your top choice?
Ultimately, there's not going to be a huge difference in service to the races or Expo from any of them. Pick whatever resort fits your preferences, theme and budget and you'll be fine. That being said, my personal favorites for race weekends are CBR due to its Skyliner service for getting around to non-race locales and POFQ for its theme, proximity to Epcot and small size.

I have LOVED staying at Gran Destino the past two MW's. Close to the start/finsh and centrally located to all the parks. Transportation was never an issue. Food options weren't my favorite, but I'm a picky eater.

I have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, All Star Sports, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House, Polynesian, Bay Lake Tower, and Grand Floridian for Marathon weekends.

I like the monorail convenience for getting to the races but being an earlier finisher of the half this year (2-2.5 hours) resulted in hitting the road closures and detours on the way back to the Grand Floridian. It took over an hour for a journey of usually 20 minutes.

I would choose a non-monorail for any half marathon races for that reason.

I also prefer a resort with one bus pickup location for the races after a hard time getting an empty bus at POR my first race weekend (we finally got on one and stood in the aisles).

We have stayed at several and enjoyed them all. Never had any bus issues.

Wilderness Lodge - MW - love the Boulder Ridge pool and hot tub to relax. Geyser Point.
Coronado - PW - another good pool situation and I LOVE Three Bridges. Good running path.
Caribbean Beach - Skyliner access to parks and love going to Riveria for flatbread pizzas and lemon blueberry pancakes. I also love the running path there.

Stay where you like to hang out. We've done Boardwalk and Bay Lake and they each have their pros and cons. Considering AK next time as we find we don't do a ton of park time anyway.

I like the monorail convenience for getting to the races but being an earlier finisher of the half this year (2-2.5 hours) resulted in hitting the road closures and detours on the way back to the Grand Floridian. It took over an hour for a journey of usually 20 minutes.

I would choose a non-monorail for any half marathon races for that reason.

I stayed at Bay Lake and took the monorail both directions from the half and full at Marathon Weekend. It was a little longer walk than going to the bus, but obviously no road closure issues.

I love the monorail resorts . . . when the races offer monorail service. I stayed at Grand Floridian for Wine and Dine, and it was buses only. For MW, I stayed at the Polynesian. Buses for the 5k and 10k, monorail for half and full. I’ve had way too many bus drivers get lost, and the risk of the monorail pilot taking a wrong turn is much less. After the marathon, it was great zipping past the gridlocked roads and getting to the hotel in minutes. Previous years it could take over an hour on the bus.

I’ve stayed at the all stars, cbr, por, and okw for race weekends. The only place I wouldn’t stay again is OKW. I could hear the race fireworks from my room which isn’t a big deal if you’re running every race but I wasn’t and typically like to sleep past 5am.

I stayed at Bay Lake and took the monorail both directions from the half and full at Marathon Weekend. It was a little longer walk than going to the bus, but obviously no road closure issues.
Good plan, but I didn't make an Epcot reservation for Saturday! I might consider that next time!

I’ve done AKL, CSR (GDT), WL, and CR. Most recent stay was CR for marathon weekend, my first time with a monorail-only to the Half and Full resort so my memory is freshest with that experience.

AKL and CSR were good for “being away from it all” resorts. No temptation to go to a park, minimal noise from nighttime shows to disturb sleep, very relaxing/chill vibe for daytime passing the time. Both didn’t share buses with other resorts if I remember correctly. WL had the similar chill vibe and great dining options with Geyser Point if you’re trying eat relatively healthy.

CSR is a surprisingly “central” resort to anywhere you’d need to go at WDW, makes for efficient travel times to the races and parks.

Not sure if they still do it but the two times we stayed AKL they had a free coffee bar set up in the lobby at 2:30am, which I always thought was a nice touch.

I liked CR as I’m a sucker for a MK view and the MK resorts in general, but obviously you have nightly fireworks right there. Not that I could have even fallen asleep any earlier if I had tried, but I sat there in bed all four nights debating whether I should get up and watch or just stay in bed. Lol. CR shares a bus with WL and FW and CR is the last stop - had a bit of trouble for the 5k because the first few buses that arrived were pretty full but it didn’t end up being all that big a deal. I was impressed with the monorail operations for the Half and Full - Disney had both lines loaded with a bunch of trains so waits were pretty low. I did end up with a long bus ride after the half as we got caught in residual road closure traffic (probably should have taken the monorail).

Honorable mention if the budget allows - I like staying CL for races as the convenience of having water and basic food (bagels, fruit, bananas, etc) readily available is one less thing to worry about. Most I’ve stayed leave some items out overnight for folks to grab when heading out, which is a nice touch. Plus with a “generally around the resort more” plan (at least that’s how we sometimes do things) it makes taking advantage of CL offerings more reasonable.

HTH!

We stayed at the Boardwalk this year, and it was great. Still had to bus to start and back, but it was a super short ride. We wanted BLT, but couldn't get in there. Would recommend either though.

Well, I guess I just didn't realize that! I was thinking you did.

Nope! If you stay behind the stands next to the finish line to make your way back, rather than go out into the parking lot, you're still in the security bubble, too. But the ramp to the monorail station is before you get to the tapstiles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter