Best (decent) time in the afternoon/evening to drive from Universal to Knotts on a Monday?

tanyaegangibson

Lover of Theming, Hater of Mean People
We are DLR vets who also have come to love Knott's and would like to experience Universal Hollywood after not having done so for a while. In short, we are driving down from Northern California on a Sunday, hitting USH in the evening and the next day, and then going to Knotts for a couple of days before 4 days at DLR. I've Google-mapped the different times to travel and I get that we'd make the best time if we left before noon or very late, but since we're actually probably going to leave between 2 and 6 (so we can arrive at Knotts in time to use the pool and go to dinner), I'm wondering what time in that span you (if you were me and know the traffic there well) would leave. Thank in advance!

The closer to 2pm the better it will be. Southbound on 101 and I-5 will be heavy until after 7pm, often even later. Later you leave, the worse it will be. Most backups occur at the I-10/101/I-5 downtown area and again at I-5/605 interchange. Really depends on how long you wish to stay at Universal and what time you wish to get to Knotts.

The closer to 2pm the better it will be. Southbound on 101 and I-5 will be heavy until after 7pm, often even later. Later you leave, the worse it will be. Most backups occur at the I-10/101/I-5 downtown area and again at I-5/605 interchange. Really depends on how long you wish to stay at Universal and what time you wish to get to Knotts.

I agree that you should leave as close to 2:00 as possible. That interchange really starts backing up by 3pm.

Thank you to both of you. You've confirmed my feelings about the optimal time to leave if we want to avoid significant traffic!

I'll just add that I think you are doing those in the perfect order, and not just geographically. :) I'm sure you already know this, but for others reading, after Universal you will crave rides that leave the ground, and after Knotts, you will crave some Disney Magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter