Best age to start going to WDW?

MandyLee121

Earning My Ears
My husband and I were talking about taking our first trip to Walt Disney World as a family. Current our son is 8 Months Old. We were wondering what is a good age to start taking a child to Disney. I know people go at all ages but I worry taking him too Young might be just too much for him. When did you guys start taking your little ones. What age worked the best?

We took our daughter at almost 3 and it was perfect. Our son who is younger went at 6 months. It was no problem taking him so young but he is now 3 and just starting to get really excited about going so I'd say for our kids 3 is a very magical age. I'm glad we didn't wait "until they will remember" because our daughter who is now 6 is a bit over the characters but still likes the rides and the pool.

There's an entire thread in this section about that, titled something like "Why take them, they'd wouldn't remember anyway". Read through that, this topic is discussed in detail there. I don't see why it would be "too much" for a baby. They obviously won't remember the trip, but how much that matters is something only you can decide.

We were talking about going when he is 3-4, but I wasn’t sure, so that’s great to hear how your little one loved it!

There isn't a "best" age. We have taken our kids since the oldest was 3 and the youngest was 15 months--we spent a lot of time in the fountains that sprayed water out of the ground on that trip, but they loved it. They are now 17 and almost 15. The big thing is, you have to be prepared to go with the flow and take things at their pace. Little kids/toddlers don't care which park you go to, at that age, they don't know the difference.

There's an entire thread in this section about that, titled something like "Why take them, they'd wouldn't remember anyway". Read through that, this topic is discussed in detail there. I don't see why it would be "too much" for a baby. They obviously won't remember the trip, but how much that matters is something only you can decide.
I meant too much like over stimulation from the environment, too hot, not condusive to their needed schedules that sort of thing. I’m not concerned with their memories as much as their tolerance for the experience.

I meant too much like over stimulation from the environment, too hot, not condusive to their needed schedules that sort of thing. I’m not concerned with their memories as much as their tolerance for the experience.

Sometimes, if they are overstimulated or too hot, you just have to take them back to the resort to cool off, or rest, or just get away from it all. Sometimes, you can take them to something indoors (aquarium at Epcot for one) for awhile and let them cool off. Some of their tolerance will depend on the child. If they are like my kids were, you have to leave the park and go take a nap after lunch because that is what they were used to and the youngest would not nap in a stroller (we didn't use one for the 3-yo). They both were used to napping in their beds for about 3 hours every day at that point. My kids were okay staying until closing (we went in late Sept. that time) as long as they had their naps. If you are planning to be in the parks from open until close every day, you will need to wait until they are older than 3 or 4.

ETA: "You" and in general people, not the OP specifically.

Last edited:

I understand. That was my thought when I said I don't really see it being an issue, but that would be a decision you'd have to make. Sure, WDW in summer is hot. We took our kids there when our oldest was 4 and our twins were 11 months. Just use common sense for the heat. I guess we never really thought about or worried about over stimulation. There's a lot to see, but that's the fun of it. Seeing their eyes light up as they look around and explore is awesome.

We took our DGD when she was just two, and it worked out great. She was fascinated with IASW, but was scared of Dumbo (we never knew she was afraid of heights before). Last year we took her at 5 yo, and our other DGD was 7. Every age has great memories and who cares if they don't remember-YOU will! Every day she left the theme park like this-

My husband and I were talking about taking our first trip to Walt Disney World as a family. Current our son is 8 Months Old. We were wondering what is a good age to start taking a child to Disney. I know people go at all ages but I worry taking him too Young might be just too much for him. When did you guys start taking your little ones. What age worked the best?

Our first one was 3.5 and it was great. Our second was 15 months and while it worked, ideally may have been better if she was a bit older. But we had a great time and she had a blast too. Just fell asleep a bit more often than an older toddler.

We took our son at 3 months. :laughing: He loved looking around and we are semi-local so it wasn't a big deal to go to room, go slow, skip things, etc. We are going back next month (he'll be 6 months) and I'm looking forward to him being more active and interested.

Honestly, there is a right age - but you and your child dictate it.

We took our twins at 14 months old and they honestly adored it! They were social, not fearful of Minnie & Mickey, they loved Frozen Ever After, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, the safari, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Peter Pan... honestly, they loved all of it! I was doubting our choice to take them so young, figuring it would be a "selfish" trip, meaning I knew how much it would me to ME but unsure how much they'd get out of it. The language development alone is truly amazing. Figure any experience can be a good experience with the right mindset!

Took My DGD at 4yrs, skipped he next year, took her at 6 and are planning a November trip. She will be 7 and her brother will be 4 for his first trip.
She was a doll at 4, loved that trip... really exposed us to the magic through her eyes..... depends on the kid, DGS is much more timid so won't go on the scary rides but we will still have fun with him...
I think 4 is a good age....

pop

There are many factors. One is the time of year that you are going. We tend to go in July or August when it is HOT HOT HOT. I would not bring an infant or toddler during that time of year, even with afternoon breaks.

TBH, I wouldn’t bring a baby at all unless he/she had older siblings that really wanted to go. I just think it’s a lot to deal with between nursing and diaper changes and necessary equipment. We did ocean front beach cottage vacations when DD was a baby, and even that was a lot of work.

Know your child and be honest about what he/she can tolerate.

We took DD for the first time at age 7. I wish that we took her at 4 or 5. She would not have remembered (she barely remembered at 7), but I think it would have been a very fun age. Plus, she was toilet trained and no longer napping.

I can only give my opinion. There will be many people who will disagree with me, and that’s fine.

2 years 10 months and it is one of my favorite Disney trips ever (She is 12 now and we have been to WDW, DL or both every year since). They are free until they reach age 3, so there is that to consider. Also, everything was new and magical and real and wonderful to her at that age. She loved the characters, so that was not an issue. For anyone who says you shouldn't take them because they won't remember---- YOU will remember and that is what counts. (Plus- at age 12, she still has some very distinct memories of that first trip.) I will never forget the looks on her face, the way she threw herself at Pluto (the 1st character she saw) and held him like he was her long lost best friend, and the sparkle in her eyes. You don't skip Christmas those first few years because they may not remember- why skip Disney!

We are taking our 2 yr old and 4 month old in November. I honestly have no idea what to expect but like other have said this isn't a once in a lifetime trip for us...We actually are planning trips in 2020 and 2021 but we are taking them now for the excitement. Everything will be new and I want to see how things change as they grow up. Also, I love the idea of seeing our family grow and change over time with the castle in the background. My family vacationed from the time I was 6 months old and I want the same for my family. (In face the current 1 year old has made 5 cross country flights and a trip to New Mexico already...lol).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter