• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Benefit in ordering AP's before WDW visit?

tiggercrew

Mouseketeer
Is there a benefit in ordering AP's with DVC discount online before a WDW visit? I know I have to have the AP voucher code if I want to order DDE, but is there any other reason to buy before our trip?

Also, would love to get opinions from those with DDE cards if it has paid for itself. We are debating whether the extra 10% discount would cover the cost for our family of 4...we plan to eat out all lunches and dinners.

Thanks in advance for your advice. :flower:

tiggercrew said:
Is there a benefit in ordering AP's with DVC discount online before a WDW visit? I know I have to have the AP voucher code if I want to order DDE, but is there any other reason to buy before our trip?

I think for most people it's the DDE. Whether you have the voucher or not, you need to stand in the exact same Guest Services line at a theme park or DD to either activate the voucher or buy the discounted pass outright.

If you are traveling in early '06, you could buy early to ensure you don't miss out on the perk (they could always end it after a year) or to protect against a price increase.

Other folks have said they buy early to help budget their money.

Also, would love to get opinions from those with DDE cards if it has paid for itself. We are debating whether the extra 10% discount would cover the cost for our family of 4...we plan to eat out all lunches and dinners.

When you mention the "extra 10%", I'm assuming you are comparing to the DVC / AP discounts that are offered at some locations. Be sure you scrutinize those lists carefully. The discounted dining options are very limited, and it's often just one specific MEAL (breakfast, lunch or dinner) at each location.

The DDE restaurant list includes almost every table service restaurant at WDW including character meals. Most counter service are excluded, as are the food courts. The notable exception to this is at the Animal Kingdom where all of the counter service restaurants are included.

Unless you'll be eating burgers and fries frequently, I suspect you'll save at least a few dollars with the DDE card on a family of 4 dining out 2x per day.

We are a family of 4 - we made back the price of the DDE in about 3and a half days - definitely worth it, in our opinion.

(FYI - we eat breakfasts in our room, try to eat out for lunches only, dinner usually back in the room,,,,but sometimes we eat out)

As for the benefits of buying AP early: the only one that I can immediately name is the online discount - but if you are DVC, then I'm not sure that the online discount even factors in to your purchase anymore.

I guess it would depend on whether the pass is active from the moment of purchase, or from the moment of first useage.

Anyone know the rules on that? Last time I bought an AP (in 2004) it didn't activate till I picked it up at the will call desk.

:scratchin :scratchin Is this still true?

tjkraz said:
When you mention the "extra 10%", I'm assuming you are comparing to the DVC / AP discounts that are offered at some locations. Be sure you scrutinize those lists carefully. The discounted dining options are very limited, and it's often just one specific MEAL (breakfast, lunch or dinner) at each location.

The DDE restaurant list includes almost every table service restaurant at WDW including character meals. Most counter service are excluded, as are the food courts. The notable exception to this is at the Animal Kingdom where all of the counter service restaurants are included.

Thanks for the info. I was referring to the DVC / AP discounts, but didn't realize how limited they were compared to the DDE discount.

Given that our trip is less than a month away, do you think it would be at all possible to complete the purchase of the AP's and DDE in time for the trip? I am assuming that I wouldn't have time to receive the DDE official card...hopefully the letter of confirmation would arrive in time.

Ksp said:
We are a family of 4 - we made back the price of the DDE in about 3and a half days - definitely worth it, in our opinion.

(FYI - we eat breakfasts in our room, try to eat out for lunches only, dinner usually back in the room,,,,but sometimes we eat out)

Thanks...that is good to know. If you saved money with only one meal out a day surely we would save with 2 a day for 6 days. :cool1:

Ksp said:
As for the benefits of buying AP early: the only one that I can immediately name is the online discount - but if you are DVC, then I'm not sure that the online discount even factors in to your purchase anymore.

I guess it would depend on whether the pass is active from the moment of purchase, or from the moment of first useage.

There is no advance-purchase discount for AP purchases by either the general public or DVC members. You pay the same price when buying in advance as at the gate. And, in both cases, the pass is activated when you arrive at WDW.

tiggercrew said:
Given that our trip is less than a month away, do you think it would be at all possible to complete the purchase of the AP's and DDE in time for the trip? I am assuming that I wouldn't have time to receive the DDE official card...hopefully the letter of confirmation would arrive in time.

You might want to look for some of the AP voucher posts on this board. I haven't been following closely enough to see how quickly the vouchers are being shipped.

We ordered the DDE and it took no more than a week before the temporary letter arrived at our home. We had no problem using the letter to obtain the discounts on our trip.

Depending on your arrival day, you could actually wait until you arrive at WDW to buy both. You'd have to buy the AP first. Then you can call DDE and order their discount card. DDE's business hours are limited to something like M-F, 8am to 6pm. So, if you are arriving on a weekend, you'll lose some use from the DDE card. But, if arriving on a weekday, DDE has the ability to issue you a temporary ID card which can be claimed at Epcot Guest Services.

Hope that helps.

tjkraz said:
There is no advance-purchase discount for AP purchases by either the general public or DVC members. You pay the same price when buying in advance as at the gate. And, in both cases, the pass is activated when you arrive at WDW.
Did Disney do away with the online ordering discount?

Ksp said:
Did Disney do away with the online ordering discount?

I don't believe there has ever been one for Annual Passes.

For Magic Your Way passes, yes, you do still receive an advance purchase discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter