Been there, done that - tried the Meclizine

MickeyMonstersMom

DIS Veteran
Well, I bought meclizine for our August WDW trip - didn't use it there, but am now taking it because of the trip! Turns out I got water in the ear while swimming, and the flight back forced that water into bad places, giving me labyrinthitis. I lurched about like a drunken sailor for a few days until the doctor prescribed some meclizine.

It really does a great job getting rid of the woozy, "the world is tilting" feeling. I did get drowsy at first, but I was also taking 50 mg instead of 25. The literature in the prescription packet stated that any drowsiness does go away: after a day or two my system became accustomed to the drug and I felt fine.

I avoided rides like Body Wars because I didn't want to take the chance on an unfamiliar medicine, but I have no such qualms now. In fact, everyone is looking forward to mom being less wussy next time! I hope this helps others who are considering using meclizine. Please feel free to ask any other questions.

Lori

Just a note from your friendly Pharmacist, you do not need a Rx to get meclizine, the OTC product Bonine is meclizine 25 mg.

Whoops, sorry about that. Yes, I bought the 25 mg. for the trip OTC; it was the higher-strength 50 mg that required the prescription (good for me, as my insurance would cover it!).

Lori

I made the mistake of using the sclopolmine (?spell?) patch for the Dis cruise. It worked just o.k. but one of the side affects is blurred vision. I couldn't read the menus. Went on a cruise a few months ago and just took one or two Bonine per day and did great. I will be using Bonine for our WDW trip in March. I also skip Body Wars and similar rides because of motion sickness. I know that queasy feeling can mess up the whole day. Good luck to you.

161 days and counting!

Meclizine 25mg can also be bought over the counter although you need to ask the Pharmacist for it. At Wal-greens it is $9.00 for 100 tablets!!! instead of $10.00 for 8 tablets.:rolleyes:

I use Meclizine all the time in cars. So,I use alot in a year!

You can't buy meclizine over the counter here in New Jersey. I went to several different drug stores this summer looking for it.

Dopey Sharon,
We live in NJ, and haven't had any trouble find meclizine 25mg over the counter. It is sold as Bonine, right next to Dramamine on the shelf.

I did try to get the large bottle of 100 tablets like tink2dw mentioned, but my Wal-greens doesn't carry it. :):D:)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Yes, we can buy Bonine here in New Jersey, but we can't buy meclizine, in the 100 pill bottle, like a lot of others on these boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter