BCV Questions

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
Will BCV's points expire in 2042? Or, will they expire later?

Also, how large are the units?

Thanks!

Tiny? Size again? Get Over it! Yes the size of the rooms will probably be the same as the BWV or the WLV, But If you can't get into these really small units because they're probably sold out, you can always get a room at the OKW. You know what's funny my in-laws can trade into the LARGE rooms at the OKW using the II, but can't get into the TINY rooms at the BWV, makes you wonder, is bigger always better?
To answer your question California Dreaming, no one knows "officially" when it will expire. The size of the rooms, we have HEARD will be the same as the BWV and WLV. I wouldn't worry about size as some people do on these boards. You will have plenty of room. The location at the Yacht and Beach is great, and you can walk over to the Boardwalk, that others drive to from other DVC resorts.
When they first made the OKW, It was an experiment. They have later found that a room a "little" smaller, but located where people would actually want to stay at was better.
Don't let people on these boards try to change your' mind on size of a resort. So you don't have the extra 20 sq. feet somewhere in your room, who cares? When you stay at the OKW, you DO spend more time in your' room, because there is nothing to do after dark at the resort. Sorry, you CAN go to the quiet pool again, or maybe take a bus to the BW, maybe walk to DD. SIZE isn't everything in a room when you are talking footage in a laundry room or closet.
For you OKW lovers, I do own at the OKW and BW, I like the OKW, Like BWV better, I thought that we were done doing this stupid size thing again.
Once again someone asks a simple question, and some extremist who is still kicking themselves for paying $50 at a hotdog stand at the boardwalk feels that they need to bash the Boardwalk because of their own mistakes. OK, I'll help you out on this one. Don't spend $50 dollars at a Hot dog stand. Rooms aren't as big as OKW, but more fun.
Feel better?
There's a reason why a tiny BW GV cost 79 pts a night, while an Okw GV cost 38 points.
Sorry Okw folks, I understand why you stay there, It is a very nice laid back resort. I just don't understand why someone asks a simple question and the SIZEMAN has returned. You know I bet there are a lot of rooms outside of Disneyworld that are larger than than OKW rooms, far away from the parks like OKW, but who cares? The OKW Sizeman would now say our location is better? who cares?
I would suggest visiting ALL the on site DVC Disney resorts before you buy. Not for just an afternoon, come at night too, They all look good at first. Some close at night.

Given that the original poster asked about the size of the rooms, the size issue is on the table and very relevant to the post. Though I have not been in all the different resorts, the sizes of the rooms are different and generally OKW are a bit larger. The Studios at OKW are 20 square feet larger than BWV or VWL (or about 6% larger), the 1BR villas at OKW are 300+ square fee larger than at BWV or VWL (or about 40%+ larger), the 2BR villas at OKW are about 250 square feet larger than at BWV or VWL (or about 25% larger), and the Grand Villas at OKW are about 125 square feet larger than at BWV (or about 6% larger). There are no Grand Villas at VWL, nor will there be any at BCV.

The degree to which these size differences will matter depends on personal taste.

Peterd, got you going didn't he. The reason OKW is available occasionally for exchanges has to do with points costs, not desirability. By that thinking, WLV is better than BW as well and BC will be better than all. The points costs is more a factor of price and cost of construction than quality.

Will BCV's points expire in 2042?

No information about sales at BCV have yet been released. The assumption here is that 2042 will be the end date there also, but there has been nothing announced by DVC.

DVC has announced and provided artist renderings that the room size and layout will be similar to BWV and VWL.

When they first made the OKW, It was an experiment.

One that seems to have worked quite well. ;)

By that thinking, WLV is better than BW as well and BC will be better than all.

until the next golf course resort at Eagle Pines is completed....;)

Personally, I see things to love about every DVC resort.

These DVC boards are getting a little out of hand.

I never got into the resort elitism on the resorts board. I liked to stay where I liked to stay. It did not matter to me if anyone else liked it or not, I stayed there because I liked it.

There is this ongoing theme on these DVC boards that the ONLY place that anyone should buy (or past tense, should have bought) is at OKW or BWV. OKW for the unit itself (and low point rental) and BWV for the location.

It is fine on the resort boards. No one has a personal financial stake in the hotels. But on these boards, people do. It has to do with resale, point renting and overall feeling that you want to have gotten the best deal for your dollar.

I always feel bad when I come to these DVC boards because of the negativity associated with VWL. Between the 'tiny units', high point usage, isolated location, and lousy transportation issues, sometimes I question my decision. But then I have to remember that people want to appear more intelligent than the next guy, and this is the way to do it.

There are a lot of people that manage to convey the true virtues of each DVC resort, without being sarcastic. Thank you. We at VWL appreciate it!

So, in conclusion (finally!), I am not sure what the answer is (some conclusion). I guess what I am saying is that people should think about what they say when saying something negative about a DVC location. Are you saying it to feel better about your purchase, or are you saying it to truly help another person, giving an honest answer to a question. This is not just an opinion war, it has to do with investments.

If you read all of this, thanks for letting me vent.

Very well said Muushka.

When BWV opened I had little interest since I felt it was more of a "hotel" than my condo at OKW. Once I stayed there, I realized the many positive points. I'm sure once I stay at VWL I'll see things to love there as well. Of course, different people like different things and may prefer one over the other....but none of them are a poor choice.

OKW is not that well known to the casual visitor to WDW because you don't have to go by it. Heck, I didn't know about DD or River Country (or DVC/OKW for that matter) until several trips to WDW . However, comments on these boards give the impression it is located somewhere just outside of Tallahassee. Other comments compare BWV units to being similar in size to sleeper cars. All of these comments are ridiculous and are sometimes made by folks who haven't even stayed at the different resorts. They give false impressions to the general public looking for info here. They are akin to the people who insist that CBR should be condemned and cause great panic to people planning to stay there. Just as all the trips by myself, friends and family to CBR have been wonderful, and I take the CBR comments with a large grain of salt so, too, should people take the DVC resort bashing with a big grain of salt as well.

Something has been bothering me: My total elation at becoming a member of the DVC has ebbed since reading the posts lately.

We joined OKW in 1995 and were delighted at the beautiful accommodations, the flexibility and the cost-effectiveness of the plan. We were later overjoyed when BWV (and HH and VB) became choices for us. When WLV was built (the WL being one of our favorite resorts), and construction of the new BCV began to take shape, our happiness as DVC members increased even more as we can now anticipate visiting these resorts in the near future.

So why, tell me, is there this competitiveness and thrashing of another's home resort when "all" the DVC resorts belong to us?
I love the differences of each, cherish our ability to visit a different one whenever we wish to, and truly feel that all the DVC properties belong to us. Only on the DVC boards did I discover the divisiveness felt by some members towards others. Really guys, we are all very fortunate to have so many great resorts to choose from, and our home resort is just that -- a home base from which we can venture out and visit our other family resorts.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please keep this discussion civil. I know that we all have our opinions on which is the better DVC resort and we have the ammo to back up our decisions. But remember, just because somone does not share your opinion does not mean give anyone the right to trash the person.

Lets end the discussion on which is best. That was not the original question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter