Bathroom renovation

I should add - although I waited 10 months for my contractor - the job was finished in 3 weeks…they did cover door ways etc with plastic - but drywall dust did escape a bit…

I lucked out and had a fairly close company carry want we wanted. I don’t want gout lines when I am 80 to clean. Our friend is a contractor so he can get us in anywhere.

Last edited:
I am going to give the contractor all the left over stuff here. Just a few things. He is building a house for and with his son. Bags of gout. Wall putty. Half cement board. Etc

if you have small leftovers like small pieces of the flooring and extra tiles you might want to keep it to have just in case you need to match it in the future (easier to carry into a store vs just using a photo). also-if you had a specific or custom grout you might want to keep the extra in case a repair or touch up is needed (it's hard to perfectly match some colors-if it comes from the same batch run you know it will work).

We are going through the same thing right now, he started with the demo one week ago and there is dust EVERYWHERE. I think when the project is finished, we will hire someone to come professionally clean the entire house. We live in a 100 year old home in a historic district and our master bath was last redone in the 90's. I cannot wait to see what it will look like!

We contracted to get our bathroom remodeled last June. We used the contractor to remodel our family room & half bath a few years ago. They are very popular & we were told 17 -19 months until our job will be started, so expecting it to get done sometime this fall. Our selections were made last year. They bought our selections immediately & store the materials until needed, so no risk of material costs going up or our choices getting discontinued while we’re waiting.

We have a small 1600 sq ft house with only the 1 full bath. We are getting a tub/ shower combo, even tho we’re in our late 60s & only ever shower. I think keeping the tub is the wiser decision when you only have 1 bathroom. We’re going with a high end shower wall system that will be easier to clean & luxury vinyl plank flooring. I am sick of cleaning tile & grout & don’t want to keep doing that as I get older. It was a very hard decision to not get tile, but cleaning the tub & shower are pretty much the hardest household chores for me right now. So I had to go with what will be physically easier. We have to provide the lights & mirrors, I’ll start looking at those over the summer. I am especially excited because I’m getting a heated towel bar, a luxury I’ve wanted for as long as I can remember. Originally we thought my husband would paint. But he had some medical issues early last year that made us rethink that. We figured we couldn’t know how his health would be in 18 months when the remodel happens. So we had the painting added in too.

As for the mess, these contractors were very good with containing everything when they did our family room. That entailed taking down & rebuilding the fireplace & putting in new ceilings, so there was a lot of dust too. They had a thick gauge plastic sheeting up that blocked almost all of the mess. We had a painting company come in this winter to remove popcorn ceilings & repair walls after we took down paneling in our hallway. They were horrible as far as containing the dust. The plastic they put up was as thin as a sandwich baggie & blew around constantly. We had dust all over the house. It was a very noticeable difference from the remodel contractors. Looking forward to the finished room sometime this year.

We contracted to get our bathroom remodeled last June. We used the contractor to remodel our family room & half bath a few years ago. They are very popular & we were told 17 -19 months until our job will be started, so expecting it to get done sometime this fall. Our selections were made last year. They bought our selections immediately & store the materials until needed, so no risk of material costs going up or our choices getting discontinued while we’re waiting.

We have a small 1600 sq ft house with only the 1 full bath. We are getting a tub/ shower combo, even tho we’re in our late 60s & only ever shower. I think keeping the tub is the wiser decision when you only have 1 bathroom. We’re going with a high end shower wall system that will be easier to clean & luxury vinyl plank flooring. I am sick of cleaning tile & grout & don’t want to keep doing that as I get older. It was a very hard decision to not get tile, but cleaning the tub & shower are pretty much the hardest household chores for me right now. So I had to go with what will be physically easier. We have to provide the lights & mirrors, I’ll start looking at those over the summer. I am especially excited because I’m getting a heated towel bar, a luxury I’ve wanted for as long as I can remember. Originally we thought my husband would paint. But he had some medical issues early last year that made us rethink that. We figured we couldn’t know how his health would be in 18 months when the remodel happens. So we had the painting added in too.

As for the mess, these contractors were very good with containing everything when they did our family room. That entailed taking down & rebuilding the fireplace & putting in new ceilings, so there was a lot of dust too. They had a thick gauge plastic sheeting up that blocked almost all of the mess. We had a painting company come in this winter to remove popcorn ceilings & repair walls after we took down paneling in our hallway. They were horrible as far as containing the dust. The plastic they put up was as thin as a sandwich baggie & blew around constantly. We had dust all over the house. It was a very noticeable difference from the remodel contractors. Looking forward to the finished room sometime this year.

we had the flooring in our bathrooms redone with high end lvp and i LOVE it. so much easier to maintain-and it stays much warmer during the cold winter months. one thing we did that saved on cost (we did both bathrooms, laundry room and kitchen/entry hall all at once) was rather than having the tile flooring pulled out-the lvp was installed ON TOP. saved us $$$$ on having that existing tile flooring removed and i think it resulted in an unanticipated side benefit-extra insulation which has resulted in lower utility use.

we had the flooring in our bathrooms redone with high end lvp and i LOVE it. so much easier to maintain-and it stays much warmer during the cold winter months. one thing we did that saved on cost (we did both bathrooms, laundry room and kitchen/entry hall all at once) was rather than having the tile flooring pulled out-the lvp was installed ON TOP. saved us $$$$ on having that existing tile flooring removed and i think it resulted in an unanticipated side benefit-extra insulation which has resulted in lower utility use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter