Bama Ed's Retirement Camping Thread For Spring 2021

As I mentioned, the bus tour was running for only the second day after being shut down for a year due to the pandemic. It is included in the price of admission but requires a separate reservation (due to capacity limits).

We had done this years ago and it was different as I will describe.

20210316_144324.jpg

We rode out to the Apollo/Saturn V building where the control room is for the Apollo missions and where they have a full Saturn V that took us to the moon on its side indoors. There are some video presentations, a couple "touch" exhibits, and my favorite was seeing actual artifacts.

Let me explain.

I love seeing flight actual artifacts. The Wright Brother's flyer in the Air & Space Smithsonian Museum is the real deal (as much as it could be). Lindbergh's airplane, Spirit of St Louis, is there. The Apollo 11 Command Module is there. So is Chuck Yeager's X-1 that broke the sound barrier. They have a Space Shuttle too at an adjuct facility (Discovery I believe).

But there are only three remaining orbiters. Discovery (in DC), Endevour (in LA), and Atlantis (at KSC). Enterprise (the glider model) is in NYC but never flew in space (for all you kids out there). And it all started with the Apollo missions to the moon (six of them reached the lunar surface with 12 men making footprints on it).

On the bus ride to the Apollo/Saturn V building (bleachers there still for up-close current launches) we passed the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) famous for its Apollo and Shuttle involvement - and it will have a future with the Space Launch System that NASA is developing (slowly).

20210316_143725.jpg

My goal, however, was to see "one of" something rare at the Apollo/Saturn V building. The S5 on its side is cool, yes. (We have one in Huntsville, AL outdoors on its side). But they have one of the six Apollo Command Modules (CM) that orbited the moon with one astronaut while the Lunar Module (LM) took two astronauts to the moon surface and back to the CM. Apollo 14's CM "Kitty Hawk is here at KSC in the Apollo/Saturn V building and it is one of six (again, Apollo 11's CM "Columbia" is in WDC).

So cool.

20210316_152409.jpg

20210316_152350.jpg

The visit to KSC took longer than I thought it would so we got back at 5pm and that didn't leave much puzzle time before cooking dinner. But I did make progress across the middle of the puzzle from left to right.

20210316_181851.jpg

Tomorrow is some family time. There will be angst :crazy:, bragging :cool1:, and finding one's place in the family tree :grouphug:. Dare I say it? Tomorrow we chase the little white ball. ⛳ Oh my ..... :sad:

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Ed , have they updated it at all? I remember going like 12 years ago and nothing was changed and it looked run down. Paint peeling off the stuff outside and tons of rust on the stuff. I was disappointed.

Didn't see any of that, Sjm9911. The Atlantis Shuttle is worth the price of admission in my book.

Didn't see any of that, Sjm9911. The Atlantis Shuttle is worth the price of admission in my book.
That was maybe still operational when i was last there lol. I did see the shuttle in the big building when i was there as a kid. I even have some space stuff in the kids room, just redid it. Her grandfather , my moms fiance , was responsible for the young astrunauts program, he was an elementry scool teacher. My daughter decided , i think in tribute she wanted a space room. I got to pick through some cool stuff to hang in her room. We have atuall stuff that went up into space. Ok, 2 things. But lots of other stuff.

Dang it Ed, should've called me so I could try to make my swim out :rotfl2: If you're in distress, they have to pick you up right??

Yes they do, Arc, but there is a DHS Immigrations Office right here in Cape Canaveral in the Cruise Ship area and they will pick you up and bring you in then hold you for a hearing and who knows what the outcome of that will be. :scared1:

Not much else to report today.

This morning I got up and took the sunrise pix. It's been my thing when I camp in Gulf Shores at Gulf State Park to get up and take sunrise pix so I thought I should do the same here. Goodness knows we're facing due east on the beach here so no excuse not to.

I had a golf match scheduled today with my dad and uncles. I could say I played poorly and let them win but truth is we all played poorly. But DW rode along in the cart and it was worth being there to hear the brothers kibitz. My paternal grandfather died when I was 10yo but he left five sons (my dad being the one in the middle) who are my uncles that I grew up knowing and laughing with (because I am one of the older grandchildren). My dad/uncles have only one sister and she reminds me of my grandmother.

So no golf pix. But Cocoa Beach Country Club is a good test because the wind blows so hard off the Banana River. One hole it's blowing left-to-right, next right-to-left , next in your face, and finally downwind. I used to play often but not for decades. So I bring plenty of balls.

But other than golf today I did work on the puzzle and it is coming along nicely.

20210317_184051(1).jpg

Let me take this lull in activity to describe conditions at Jetty Park in mid-March.

- Not too hot
- Not too cold
- Never have run the AC yet in the camper
- Never have run the heater yet in the camper
- Never have worn long pants yet (of any kind)
- Never have worn a jacket yet
- The sun is always shining
- The breeze is always blowing
- The coastal difference between low/high is less than inland

This is what a vacation is supposed to be.

We did eat out at Fishlips Restaurant over by the cruise ship ports on Sunday night. (big thanks to @snowmedic for putting me onto that place a couple years ago). Naturally DW's dish was better than what I selected. Because I'm a poor retiree trying to stretch my retirement income now, I only budgeted eating out twice on this trip. So FL was one.

Tomorrow we hit the road again. :car:

Bama Ed

PS - Jetty Park sites book a year in advance. I got this site thanks to the pandemic closing part of their reservation system and I got in by the back door - our 2nd time to stay here. There are some shaded sites but don't count on it (site specific reservations).

Last edited:
Yes they do, Arc, but there is a DHS Immigrations Office right here in Cape Canaveral in the Cruise Ship area and they will pick you up and bring you in then hold you for a hearing and who knows what the outcome of that will be. :scared1:

Well that just makes me sad.

If anyone is interested, the DIS folks have a DCL fan site where you can track the ships.https://dclfan.com/disney-ships-current-location/

Oh boy, trip report fans! Buckle up. Too many pix to fit in one post today. Off we go!

Today was a road trip to another lighthouse. This one is south of us on I95 a little over two hours away in Jupiter, FL. That's about as far as I'm willing to travel on a day trip from Jetty Park but it was worth it for one special reason:

In 1987, I graduated college and accepted a job in West Palm Beach, FL and moved into a condo (rented) in Jupiter, FL in Palm Beach County. Then I married my high school sweetheart (who also had graduated from Alabama) and took her to Jupiter in the fall of 1987. That's when she first experienced WDW and Fort Wilderness.

But I digress.

Jupiter was growing when I was here 34 years ago. Other than the road my condo complex is on, I don't recognize the place any more because it has grown so much. But there was one constant to define the local area: The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse.

The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse went into operation in 1860 where the Loxahatchee River (and other waterways) empty into the Atlantic. The "Jupiter" name relates to an army base posted down here in the 1830s in the area (the mosquitos must have been awful). But lighthouses marked inland ports and waterways and provided navigational waypoints. The Jupiter Lighthouse is a constant amid all the growth and change.

This version of the Lighthouse and Museum was developed AFTER we moved away (of course) but it is very nice with a gift shop and museum in an old WWII Housing Building.

20210318_111746.jpg

You go to the gift shop to buy your admission tix (about $12 each) and then head up the hill to the lighthouse. Looking toward the ocean through the Jupiter Inlet you can see the Atlantic:

20210318_112145.jpg

The drawbridge over the Loxahatchee River has the bluest/cleanest water I have seen this far north in the states. It must have a clean sand bottom.

20210318_113824.jpg

The Jupiter Lighthouse was built on top of an old sand dune so it didn't have to be tall to be seen over 20 miles out at sea.

20210318_112713.jpg

They've done a nice job with the lighthouse refurb and interpretation.

20210318_112732.jpg

George Meade, if you read the sign, beat some guy at Gettysburg named Lee. But he was an engineer first and foremost.

The banyan tree at the base of the Lighthouse is where the old Lightkeeper's house was. One chief and two assistants and their families.

20210318_113314.jpg

Due to pandemic restrictions, groups are allowed up as a group and must all come down as a group because the interior of the lighthouse is so tight and small. On the way up:

20210318_115146.jpg

20210318_115023.jpg

105 steps inside the lighthouse. Remember it's built on top of an old tall dune so it didn't have to be as tall as, say, St. Augustine Lighthouse.

Here is the lense in the lighthouse (still a working navigational beacon). The "X" in the lense on the left side shows the repair to the Type 1 (strongest) lens after hurricane winds damaged this lens made in Paris in the 1800s. They salvaged the pieces and rebuilt the lens on this side with crossbars to hold the pieces in place.

20210318_114800.jpg

Since I can only link 10 pix and I have 9 previous, let me share the Jupiter Lighthouse fridge magnet I bought to remember my old home town (I only lived here a year but what a year it was).

20210318_115249.jpg

More in the next post.

Bama Ed

Nice pictures ed, i havent been there , the lighthouse in a bit, it seems that everywhere you have been , i have , lol. My aunt lived in johnathans landing in Jupiter for years untill 2015 or so. I have been to the light house but i was younger then. Cool thing on the light repair. Never knew they did that or had different lenses.

Continuing on:

Yes, me and DW climbed the Jupiter Lighthouse. Much narrower and tighter (and not as tall as) St. Augustine Lighthouse. But the views are FABULOUS.

Looking eastward toward Jupiter Inlet and the Atlantic Ocean:

20210318_114459.jpg

Looking westward back toward the Loxahatchee River and Jupiter proper:

20210318_114615.jpg

We even saw this drawbridge UP to let tall boat traffic pass.

20210318_114224.jpg

Here is a panorama view of Jupiter Inlet to the ocean with a beach view included:

20210318_114434.jpg

Here is a panorama of the Loxahatchee River channel back to the drawbridge:

20210318_114545.jpg

Here is my best photo of the day of the Jupiter Lighthouse.

20210318_125759.jpg

BTW Jupiter is the home town of Burt Reynolds, @tiggerdad's alter ego. Both are handsome, charming, fun loving son-of-a-guns.

This yard area on the river side of the gift shop/museum was a very pleasant place where we ate our picnic lunch.

20210318_130326(0).jpg

I will add it was VERY windy up top (I was in Eiffel Tower mode again) with my back hugging the wall on the outside parapet.

But we did survive and driving out, I found this little park to take a long view pix of Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse.

20210318_132111.jpg

But we're not done yet.

Hold on for the next post.

Bama Ed

Nice pictures ed, i havent been there , the lighthouse in a bit, it seems that everywhere you have been , i have , lol. My aunt lived in johnathans landing in Jupiter for years untill 2015 or so. I have been to the light house but i was younger then. Cool thing on the light repair. Never knew they did that or had different lenses.

Well, Assistant Chief, you may be a senior in terms of service and advancement in your local fire department but you're still a youngster when it comes to Jupiter, FL. (which is a compliment, btw).

When I moved to Jupiter it was known for two things: Burt Reynold was from there (and was dating Lonnie Anderson at the time I believe) and Perry Como lived across from the Lighthouse area on Jupiter Island (across the waterway). Perry was one of those crooners from the 50s/60s for you kids and he wore a long sleeve sweater and sang wonderful Christmas songs for decades.

Bet your aunt was a fan of Perry's, Sjm9911.

There are more pix to share, however, once I got back to Jetty Park today.

Bama Ed

Lol, Ed yes , we did the tour. And drove up the street next to the ocean, across the Bert Reynolds Bridge. Your camra takes greak pictures btw. And it brings back memories. I was last there about 15 years ago and before that in the 1980s.

As I was leaving Jupiter (to continue today's story), I stopped and got the YukonXL washed because it was dusty and filthy after all this travel and daily drives around a campground that isn't paved. It was well worth the money.

As of yesterday (Wednesday) I had cooked and eaten all the primary dinner food I brought from home. Beef, chicken, blah blah ..... So being on the coast I wanted some FRESH, LOCAL seafood and to support my local fisherman.

At the Port Canaveral area is a restaurant (near Fishlips) that also has a fresh seafood market. I want to support my local fishermen by buying locally caught seafood (as I do in Gulf Shores, AL). On the way back to Jetty Park from Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, I stopped at Seafood Atlantic and got some locally caught cobia (?). Never heard of it but it turned out to be delicious.

20210318_182343.jpg

I blackened it in my electric skillet with some extra garlic and put it with some rice and DW's choice of veg. Turned out pretty darned awesome.

20210318_185651.jpg

After getting back to the campsite from the seafood market, DW and I worked some more on the puzzle. I think we are getting to the downhill side now where pieces put themselves almost in place.

20210318_181429.jpg

And while we were working on the puzzle, one of the Disney Cruise Line ships came into Port Canaveral (for crew food/fuel?). I texted @Bishoparc and told him this was his chance to sign on as Cabin Boy 4th Class. Don't know when it's leaving.

20210318_163916.jpg

Getting windy here tonight as I type outside. May have to check the weather forecast.

Tomorrow I chase the little white ball again with family. The joy is in being together and not who has the fewest strokes.

Bama Ed

Oh boy, trip report fans! Buckle up. Too many pix to fit in one post today. Off we go!

Today was a road trip a little over two hours away to Jupiter, FL. That's about as far as I'm willing to travel on a day trip from Jetty Park but it was worth it for one special reason:
Great pics!

I think you missed another landmark in Jupiter. I'm disappointed there's no mention of Roger Dean Stadium. It wouldn't have hurt to get one pic of the Cardinals on the field. :worship: :wave2:

j

Finally, let me expound on a comment I made earlier regarding WDW and Fort Wilderness.

In 1987, I married my bride and brought her to Jupiter, FL. She had never been to WDW, never even been to the Gulf Coast beach except as a child where she had memories of crabs on the beach.

But back in the late 80s, I could buy a Florida Resident 3-Season Pass for $100 per person. Which I did because it was good for entry into MK/Epcot (those were the parks back in the day) for the month of October, January, and May (typically the slowest months of the year).

In October we camped in a tent in 100 loop (on the exterior between the cabins and the entrance). We drove the 2.5 hours on a Friday after work and set up and went to sleep (only to be awakened by the BLAST of the EWP music - I will NEVER forget it).

In January we camped in 700 and I forgot to pack the tent poles with my tent so we had to sleep in the back of the car. We survived.

In May (when we were scheduled to move back to Alabama) we camped in 1300 in tent again but rented a tandem (double) bicycle during our stay.

Each time we drove in on Friday night, went to MK on Saturday and Epcot on Sunday (then drove home Sunday night after packing up that morning before heading to the parks.

DW understood why I am the DIS nerd I am (I blame my father BTW) and those three months are very conducive to camping outside. She's still a "Holiday Inn" type of camper girl but she tolerates my love of the outdoors to this day.

:lovestruc

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Great pics!

I think you missed another landmark in Jupiter. I'm disappointed there's no mention of Roger Dean Stadium. It wouldn't have hurt to get one pic of the Cardinals on the field. :worship: :wave2:

j

Is that a landmark, Teamubr? It's not like the Indians play there - it's JUST the Kansas City Cardinals IIRC.

RDS was built WAY after I left so I <sniff> at the new money locations and prefer to follow the old, historical ways that are still true to this day.

cleveland-indians-logo-wahoo-02dd0099-74d0-4ceb-862f-c77a91ec95cd.jpg

Go Tribe!

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter