Baltimore Key Bridge collapss

For those with the glass break tools, I wouldn't rely on them any longer. Side glass is now laminated like the windshield and doesn't shatter out any more. Best bet is to get the window rolled down. Even with electric windows you still have a short period of time to get them down before the power goes out.
EDIT: Mythbusters did those episodes in 2007 and 2010. Fourteen years ago. Technology has changed since then. Principle is the same though. Get the window open so you can exit.

In addition to the port being regularly active for shipping there are also a few Cruise Ships that are scheduled to return to the Baltimore Port later this week. The Carnival Legend (scheduled to return 3/31) and the Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas (scheduled to rerun 4/4). There’s also the American Constitution that was supposed to return today and was re-routed to Washington DC

For those with the glass break tools, I wouldn't rely on them any longer. Side glass is now laminated like the windshield and doesn't shatter out any more. Best bet is to get the window rolled down. Even with electric windows you still have a short period of time to get them down before the power goes out.
EDIT: Mythbusters did those episodes in 2007 and 2010. Fourteen years ago. Technology has changed since then. Principle is the same though. Get the window open so you can exit.

Yes, for anyone getting these tools....make sure you get the correct kind. We have one that also breaks the laminated window, but you'd have to break it in several places, then kick the window out. The back windows would shatter...in my car anyway. Watch the videos of how to use them. The tool we have is also a seat belt cutter.

The sister of Elaine Chao....who died in her Tesla X must not have known how to open the door manually, and must have not have thought to roll the window down.....so, know how to do that in your car as well. We drive a Tesla Y and I know how to manually do that....open the door that is. I was surprised that nobody could google in her friend group to figure that out, but they were all drinking that night, so guess they were panicked.

Harbor pilots would have been navigating at the time of the crash. Yes, it appears the ship lost power twice but they were far from the channel under the middle of the bridge. I’m curious why the ship was so close to the supports.

I watched the video this morning. I held my breath as cars zipped by while the ship approached. I hope that they made it to the other side in time but I do know that they found some cars in the water so obviously everyone didn’t get out in time. So sad.

That was one hit and the whole entire thing went down! That is just awful but doesn't it seem like that was maybe a little flimsy to go down like that? Or is it me?

That was a huge, loaded down cargo ship. The force behind the collision was extremely powerful. I don't know if a bridge should be able to take a hit like that, but it was a strong hit regardless.

The bridge is about 46 years old and I would assume not originally designed to withstand the force of today's cargo ships, but I also don't know much about it.

Sad day for us Marylanders 😢 I too have traveled this bridge many times. Prayers and love to those families affected

I live in Baltimore and this is huge news. About 80% of the cargo terminals are north of the bridge. No ships will be able to arrive or depart for at least several weeks. Several thousand people will be out of work for a while.

As for traffic, the two tunnels are going to be worse than they already are. And some traffic may decide to bypass the tunnels and use city streets to get back on I-95.

I haven’t driven over that bridge in about 20 years and I rarely use the tunnels. It will probably take a few years minimum to rebuild.

That was one hit and the whole entire thing went down! That is just awful but doesn't it seem like that was maybe a little flimsy to go down like that? Or is it me?
This is the type of bridge that the Key is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_truss_bridge

Although some continuous truss bridges resemble cantilever bridges and may be constructed using cantilever techniques, there are essential differences between the two forms. Cantilever bridges need not connect rigidly mid-span, as the cantilever arms are self-supporting. Although some cantilever bridges appear continuous due to decorative trusswork at the joints, these bridges will remain standing if the connections between the cantilevers are broken or the suspended span (if any) is removed. Conversely, continuous truss bridges rely on rigid truss connections throughout the structure for stability. Severing a continuous truss mid-span endangers the structure.

My DH travels that bridge frequently for work. So sad. Thank God it wasn’t during rush hour. The tunnels (and traffic in general) are going to be crazy as they compensate for the 30,000 plus people that would ordinarily be using the bridge each day. I’m praying for everyone involved. Horrible.

Yes I definitely am getting one of those for each vehicle. I'll check out the mythbusters!

I watched the video of the collapse; I don't feel it was intentional but bizarre watching them drive straight into the support. Not sure how that could have been missed, unless something was wrong with the ship? I don't know enough about ships to have any idea.

My husband just watched the video. He said there were a lot of cars and trucks on the bridge at the time. He said you could see that the ship went dark before hitting the bridge. They are claiming that they lost power and couldn't do anything. It will take a while to sort it all out.

Regarding the traffic, I live in nky. If you have passed through here on I75, you may have taken the Brent spence bridge across the Ohio River. Back in 2020, a semi overturned and caught fire, causing the bridge to be closed for several months. The traffic repercussions were a nightmare. I can’t imagine the whole bridge going down. And as others have mentioned, the river traffic will be stopped. It makes your head spin to think about it.

We just saw a press conference on a local tv station in Baltimore where they said they are suspending search and rescue operations for the night it is too dangerous for the first responders will resume at 6 am. They believe it is now a search and recovery for the families to get closure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter