Bah Humbug!

LIDisneyFan

<font color=red>Older, yet for some reason not muc
I just finished reading Coleen's posts about the gift that her DD received in a class exchange, and believe me, I understand - the exact same thing happened to me DD.

But on a tangent here, I have HAD it with the 'required' gifts . So far, my little black calculator tells me we have bought gifts for
DD Teacher
DD Student Teacher
DS Teacher
DD Music teacher in school
DD Private flute teacher
DD Ice Skating Coach
DS Hebrew school teacher
DD Hebrew School teaher
DD Judaica Techer
Some other miscellaneous teachers/aids/whatever that I can't even remember !
Gifts for exchange in each childs class
Money to doate for Toys for Tots

Now, I know, my kids are in a lot of activities, but so are a lot of others. This gift giving thing is toally out of control. In addition, I still have

The Mailman (Never got that one - isn't it his job?)
The Garbage Collectors (see the mailman above)
My secretary
The Managers who work for me
My boss
DW's hairdresser
DW 'girl who washes her hair' (huh?)

I figure I'm in a few hundred in BEFORE my family -and we have a policy of "no spoiling" - we don't go crazy on each other's gifts. We generally sit down as a family and choose a charity or 2 and make a very nice donation.

Is it just me who this really annoys???

I'm sitting here LOL-ing! With both of my kids in High School, they don't give to teachers because it is not cool. I did give a gift to Patrick's interpreter, she has been a friend for years and is so terrific.
But I remember those days of bus drivers, Educational Assistants, the student volunteers (??), the Speech Pathologist, etc etc.

We don't tip the garbage men in Canada (at least no one I know does and we have to carry our own garbage to the curb, so why?) but if we did, we would have to tip the guys that pick up the Blue Box recyclables, too.

It can go on and on, I understand and I feel your pain! :)
CC

I have to admit, I just read your list and thought You ARe NUTS!
But lets see what my non-family list looks like:

ds #2's 3 preschool teachers
ds #1's teacher and student teacher
dh's secretary
the ladies at the hair place
boy dh tutors at school

and that's it! I guess I'm just cheap. I made bread for all of the above and added some candy. I don't get the mailman or the garbage collector either?!?! Don't tip them ever.

I agree that's a lot of gifts:eek: But how do you stop when you've done it for awhile?

Pembo -Thank you for confirming what I already know:D

Krisu - The only thing I can come up with is moving and starting a new life:eek:

Oh, and DW just reminded me about the newspaper delivery service :confused: No, it's not a kid -it's a company.

And the babysitter - but I least that one I feel is somewhat justified - I know I feel someone should give ME a gift for spending time with my kids!!

Happy Holidays!

I don't tip the mailman - maybe that's why I get my neighbors mail at least twice a week. He doesn't even get out to give me certified mail or packages even when I am there and I see him. Just puts a note in the mailbox saying sorry we missed you:confused:

LOL, LIDis. same story here.

older dd is in middle school, so no teacher presents there. but I do have to take care of younger dd's teacher.

both dd's ride the bus to school. the same driver is responsible for the elementary and middle school runs on our street -- and he does the high school too. so that's another girft.

at Hebrew school they each have more than one classroom teacher.

they both take several classes at a dance studio. more gifts there.

older dd participated in a Secret Santa with the cheerleaders. fortunately younger dd didn't have any sort of gift exchange. but we did Secret Santa in my office.

and so it goes...

Doesn't this kind of go along with "keeping up with the Jones' "??

Why do you feel you have to give a gift or money to any of these people??
Is it to make you "look" better to your other neghbors and friends??

I gave my dds teacher a small gift because Jennifer loves her so much. I gave each of my co-workers a small token gift because I am so thankful to be working with such nice people after working in such a horrible situation the last three years.

I have never felt obligated to give my hair stylist,mailperson,paper deliverer,etc or any of those people anything. We once had a person (either mail or paper) that ACTUALLY put an empty pre addressed elvelope in our box for us to put our tip in!!!!! HA HA. Do you think I ever did????

I am not trying to sound nasty here but come on folks.... if you are going to complain about all the gifts you feel compelled to give then do NOT give them!!! A card of thanks worded nicely would be just as nice.

mum4jenn

Well, I got tired of my garbage pails being piled up in a pyramid in front of my driveway (no kdding) and the town not caring. My newpaper ends up in the bushes unless I pay the "protection money". I don't feel compelled to have my child being the only one without a gift for the techers when every other kid does - I figure the cost of therapy will outweigh the cost of the gifts.

Perhaps I should tell my DD and DS not to participate in the present excahnge at school - that would certinaly add to the happiness of thei school years.

Maybe I'll be the only boss who doesn't give gifts to their direct managers. That will certainly foster a spirit of loyalty in them, don't you think?

Believe me, we do try to limit this insanity. It just annoys me that the expectation is set (includng by our school systems by starting these things). There is a price to be paid for each decision 'not' to partcipate - and that is what bothers me. It's like 'protection' money.

Enough of my rant. Briar Rose just reminded me about the bus driver, and if I don't get them gifts, my kids life on the bus might be adversely affected.

Happy Holidays!

I am confused. You said that you don't understand the mailman or garbage man because it is his job , but isn't it a teacher's job to teach? A hairdresser's job to do hair? Ect....

OK,

Perhaps I should put the disclaimer that "Isn't that their job" against each person on the list who is eployed in the position they are being gifted for.

I think you are zeroing on on a few words and missing the point of the post, which is that "'tis to season to have your hand out".

First off, I'd just like to say the my DH is a mailman and while he doesn't expect to get tipped at Christmastime, he appreciates it immensely. Yes, it IS his job, but like someone else said a tip/gift is just that--over and above what someone makes for his regular pay. Living in the northeast, the summers are hot and the winters can be brutal. He's fallen numerous times because people don't shovel their walkway and gotten bitten by several "friendly" dogs. All in a day's work. However, just like you would tip a waitress for good service, my DH gets tipped for bringing the mail directly to one's door because they are housebound, picks up stamps for them from time to time, holds their mail while they're on vacation and makes sure they get it when they want it, etc. So.....anyway if you WANT to give a gift to anyone, then you should. If not, then DON'T.

I have a philosophy about giving gifts: once it starts to feel like a chore or an obligation, then I stop. Why give a gift if there's no feeling behind it.:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter