• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Back from WDW. Check in nightmare

Annam26

Mouseketeer
We (Mom, two sisters and I) arrived last Monday ar around 11:00 pm. As soon as we entered WDW we cheered. We couldn't believe we were going to be there for a week and stay on site! After driving around for a while we found All Star Sports. The lobby was packed, so we waited our turn. we were tired, but so happy to finally be there.

When I was called I showed the CM (a young girl) my reservation number. She tells me that the handicapped room has a King bed, and can only accomodate two people. She will provide a trundle bed for the rest of the party. I tell her we're four adults, and that won't do. She tells me she'll add two trundle beds to accomodate the four of us.

I'm in shock, confused and speechless by what's happening. I can only manage to muster "We'll I be able to get around the room in my wheelchair with the two trundle beds?" She says "I hope so!"

So it starts to down on my how wrong all of this is. I called the special reservations number, made reservations for four, called to confirm three times and was told everything was set. We paid as much as any party of four staying there and why would we have to be all unconfortable before hitting the park next day? I tell the CM this and she calls the manager.

So, the manager comes, looking all sour and irritated, acting as if this was my fault and displaying a bad attitude. She tells me that they are "overbooked" (or something like that) that there aren't any other avaliable rooms, that's the reality so my only option is to take the room with the two trundle beds.

I ask how can I be in a room in which I can't get around? She leaves and later returns. Apparently a room apeared out of the blue. But we would need to stay at different buildings. Also, they may not charge me for the room, but then again they may charge me. That's the only thing they could do so would I take it or leave it. Her manner was curt, annoyed and just plain rude.

I said why would I need to pay for their mistake? I was not going to pay an extra cent to correct their error.

She leaves again and comes back. Now they have two rooms in opposite sides of the same building. She's "granting me the courtesy of giving me the other room at no extra charge" So I'm thinking "First there weren't any rooms avaliable, then there were rooms in different buildings, now they have rooms in opossite sides of the building.....what the....."

We're a family of four women. We feel safer staying together. So I ask if there weren't any rooms closer together. She starts screaming how she was granting me the courtesy of letting me have the other room at no extra charge, how she was so kind to do me such a favor. She was yelling so the rest of the lobby would hear. The other guests had their eyes on us. I just wanted to crawl in a hole and die.

I felt so humilliated by the attention, and was livid by her attitude. I had heard so much about the "magic" and how the CMs acted so nicely to make all guests feel special, yet the second person I meet was treating me like dirt.

I demand to talk with someone else. Another woman ( the manager's boss?) came and I told her everything. She said that it was against the rules to have two trundle beds in one room. She said she'd fix everything by the next morning -and she did. She got us connecting rooms for the rest of our stay. She was nice and when I told her about the rude employee she told me they were glad to have those people reported -but I don't know if that woman was reprimanded.

That experience ruined our first night at WDW. Thankfully that was the only unpleasant experience I had with anyone at the resort.

But that one event felt awful! I understand mistakes happen, but the treatment I got was inexcusable.

I never, ever expected that at WDW

I'm so sorry you were embarassed at the check in counter. When you reserved the room and asked for handicap access, they should have told you that 4 adults wouldn't fit. And you shouldn't have received the cold shoulder at the counter. She had no right to scream at you. If you want to make sure your complaint was passed on, e-mail wdw directly and inform them. I know someone will respond. Anyone know the e-mail address?
Sorry this happened to you.

I have heard that most of the rooms at Disney hotels that will accommodate a person who uses a wheelchair have one king size bed. This great for couples, but most families need 2 beds (and maybe a rollaway or crib). If I were you, I would write a letter to management.

I do know from experience that Disney does want to know if you feel mistreated because of a disability. I have a mental illness and prefer to travel alone. A CM made fun of me once because I was alone and was severely reprimanded.

I applaud you for standing up for yourself.

We had a small *issue* ourselves although nobody was rude to us. It just took an hour to check in.

I had also made the reservation stating that we were going to need a HA room (roll in shower) and double beds. When I got there there that wasnt an option any more (go figure) and we got the two rooms on opposite sides of the same building. It worked out fine because it was only for one night but it would have been nice to spend our last night together.

They didnt charge me for the second room, she never implied that they would (this was at CBR)

I hope you had a great rest of your trip. :wizard:

It just shows how it pays to be persistant in these circumstances :badpc:
The first couple of CM's would have been perfectly happy to have you go off and take the second best offers made to you.

How dare she shout at you in a public place.When you make a valid complaint against a member of staff I have wondered if the manger does bother to take it any further or just makes all the right noises to the unhappy guest? :sad2:

I hope you had a fab trip :flower:

I am sorry to read your had such a miserable check-in experience at All Star Sports. I am glad to read though that you were persistent in what you needed & what you had been told before checking in. I am also glad you spoke up about the CM who was not providing you "magic." I have no doubt that the rude CM was dealt with backstage. Hopefully the rest of your WDW vacation was magical.

That was shocking treatment!
I am glad you stood your ground and got what you deserved in the end, but there can be no excuse for a CM being so rude and nasty to a guest.
You have me worried now, it is our first stay onsite, we are a family of 4 and 2 are disabled. I have requested a room with a roll-in shower and the CM at special reservations did explain to me that at the resorts we booked it would be a king room, but as there were 4 of us we would also have a connecting double. I haven't received any written confirmation of this, just her word, I hope we don't have the same experience as you did when we arrive, it would just totally spoil it for me.
I hope you follow through your complaint and get a full apology.

I am so sorry that happened to you. We are heading down in under 17 days and we booked at PoP, three adults, two with disabilities so we booked to adjoining rooms.
Being yelled at by the CM is unacceptable, I agree that you need to send a letter to management describing that individuals actions.

I do hope the rest of your vacation was "magical". :flower:

Thank you all for your replies and support! :flower3:

Spotdog, I think it was terrible that you were made fun of by a cast member. Unbelievable!

I'm sorry I've caused worries on those of you with upcoming vacations, but I think it was important for me to tell my experience, so you'll know that you don't have to settle for anything less than you paid for. From my experience looks like "we're overbooked" "there's nothing we can do" are just empty excuses.

Does anyone know how can I contact management about the rude employee?

Other than check in, I had a wonderful time. I have no complaints either from cast members or -amazingly- other guests at the hotel or the parks.

I found the beds at the All Star Sports very confortable, the room quiet, the bus system excellent, the crows were big but manageable. The only thing I didn't like was that it rained non-stop for two days. I know that doesn't bother other people -they actually enjoy it- but for me t wasn't a good development. I tried to enyoy everything I could during those two days, but it wasn't easy. But overall, the things I worried about (crowds, noisy rooms, value hotels not being worth it, problems with other guests, problems with rides) never happened. Other than check-in, We had a wonderful vacation.

At first I was unhappy to only find a room at ALLSS, but after arriving there I was happy to be there because it's the fist on the bus run ( You were right lewdyan1! thanks :) ). If I ever stay at an AS, it will be Sports, just for that reason.

I want to thank SueM in MN, SeashoreCM, BillSears, RaySharpton, Talking Hands, LindsayDunn228, MommytoMJM (I hope I'm not forgetting anyone!), and everyone on this board fort heir wonderful tips. They helped me tremendously and helped make my trip a great experience full of wonderful memories! :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Had reservations for the ASMu in March/April. Due to a six hour flight delay got to the hotel at 7pm - yes, I know, not that late. Told no more non-smoking rooms in the All Stars - yes, all three of them. I know non-smoking is not guaranteed, but that would not fly with my asthma.

Told there would be a room for us at POP. CM called to confirm. Had to have Disney transport us - friend and I had no care.

Arrive at POP. NO RESERVATION FOR US! NO ONE KNEW WE WERE COMING! NO ONE HAD SPOKEN TO CM AT ALL STARS! Well, let's just say that I pushed the nice teacher inside away and out came someone else...let's just say it wasn't pretty. Finally, somehow a room appeared and we were off to our room.

So annoying...

Other than that, I had an amazing stay. Tons of fun and a great trip with my friend!

faeflora said:
I am so sorry that happened to you. We are heading down in under 17 days and we booked at PoP, three adults, two with disabilities so we booked to adjoining rooms.
Being yelled at by the CM is unacceptable, I agree that you need to send a letter to management describing that individuals actions.

I do hope the rest of your vacation was "magical". :flower:
I just wanted to mention, you may want to make sure you are booked for Connecting rooms, which are the ones that have a door inside that can be opened to connect them together. Adjoining rooms sound like thye aoule join, but they are just rooms that are next to each other.

I'm sorry to hear you had this bad experience. There is no excuse for how they treated you and it points out several things that need to be fixed (insensitivity, lack of knowledge of ADA and lack of knowledge about what will fit in a room). That kind of explains spotdog and lajones81 experience too.

The last 2 times I have heard of people having experiences like this (where they had dealt with Special Services and had room(s) reserved that met their needs), the people had gotten there late in the day. (This doesn't explain lajones81 experience since 7 isn't that late, but I don't know if the Non smoking request was made thru Special Services).
From what I have been told, rooms are blocked by Special Services if you work with them. If they are not available when you check in, they are apparently somehow getting unlcoked and given to another guest.
This makes me wonder if the "block" comes off at a certain time and "opens up" the room for assignement to any guest? (Similar to the way that airplane seats (like the bulkheads) that are better suited for people with disabilities "open up" at a certain point if not assigned for people with disabilities). That would explain how some of these situations occurred where people didn't get what they were promised was waiting for them. If that does happen, the block either has to stay in place later or people need to know that they have to put some special hold on it if they will arrive after the "unblocking" point.

There are obviously some education needs - like maybe the kind of education where you put CMs in wheelchairs or simulate other disabilities so that they will know that even one roll away/trundle would be too many with a wheelchair in a king room.

Good point on the adjoining versus connected i will call this evening to check on it. Thanks. :flower:

lajones81 said:
I know non-smoking is not guaranteed, but that would not fly with my asthma.

I believe you *can* guarantee a non-smoking room if you have asthma issues. I asked for one for that reason due to my son's asthma and they told me it would be guaranteed and my reservation papers said that non-smoking was guaranteed. That was requested through the regular ressie line and not through special services.

lajones81 said:
Had reservations for the ASMu in March/April. Due to a six hour flight delay got to the hotel at 7pm - yes, I know, not that late. Told no more non-smoking rooms in the All Stars - yes, all three of them. I know non-smoking is not guaranteed, but that would not fly with my asthma.

Told there would be a room for us at POP. CM called to confirm. Had to have Disney transport us - friend and I had no care.

Arrive at POP. NO RESERVATION FOR US! NO ONE KNEW WE WERE COMING! NO ONE HAD SPOKEN TO CM AT ALL STARS! Well, let's just say that I pushed the nice teacher inside away and out came someone else...let's just say it wasn't pretty. Finally, somehow a room appeared and we were off to our room.

Isn't it awful that you have to get nasty to solve a problem? Obviously there was a solution, but seems like nice guests finish last. :guilty: So much for magic!

lajones81 said:
Other than that, I had an amazing stay. Tons of fun and a great trip with my friend!

That's great!

SueM in MN said:
The last 2 times I have heard of people having experiences like this (where they had dealt with Special Services and had room(s) reserved that met their needs), the people had gotten there late in the day. (This doesn't explain lajones81 experience since 7 isn't that late, but I don't know if the Non smoking request was made thru Special Services).

Sue, I called Special Services the day before arriving to tell them that we would be arriving between 9:00 and Midnight, and asked them if that would mean any trouble. They said, No problem!

So they knew I'd be late, and there were problems.

I agree with you that they need to educate their employees to see our POV.
When I finally saw the room, I saw how ridiculous the offer of trundle beds was!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter