Babysitting... Price increase/schedule conversation has not come up... should I just wait and see?

Huh, when I read your post where you said there was 0% chance that you would ever leave your child at an inhome provider, I assumed that is what you meant. If you meant something else I must have misunderstood it as well.
I said I would never leave my children at an unlicensed in-home “daycare.”

It truly bothers me when people don’t read carefully.

Where did I say that? Are you sure you read my post carefully & understood it?

Obviously those weren't your words, but what other reason could you have for saying there was 0% chance of leaving your child with an unlicensed provider? If you didn't intend it the way i and at least one other assumed then what could your reasoning be for not leaving them with someone unlicensed? Adequate care was the only reasoning I could think of. If that was not what you were saying then I apologize, please explain what it is that you meant.

Obviously those weren't your words, but what other reason could you have for saying there was 0% chance of leaving your child with an unlicensed provider? If you didn't intend it the way i and at least one other assumed then what could your reasoning be for not leaving them with someone unlicensed? Adequate care was the only reasoning I could think of. If that was not what you were saying then I apologize, please explain what it is that you meant.
Your post was all about the benefits of licensed in-home care & why it's a better alternative to both centers AND unlicensed in-home care. In fact, you said: With licensing that limits the children and prevents the overcrowding that many non licensed people provide.

I honestly think you missed the fact that I specifically said unlicensed. Nothing else makes sense - unless, of course, I'm supposed to believe that you'd write an entire post about how A is preferable to B but then are still genuinely confused as to why I would want A but not B. :lmao:

It's very clear that you wrote the post as a comparison between "center" and "in-home care" with no understanding of what I actually said.

Your post was all about the benefits of licensed in-home care & why it's a better alternative to both centers AND unlicensed in-home care. In fact, you said: With licensing that limits the children and prevents the overcrowding that many non licensed people provide.

I honestly think you missed the fact that I specifically said unlicensed. Nothing else makes sense - unless, of course, I'm supposed to believe that you'd write an entire post about how A is preferable to B but then are still genuinely confused as to why I would want A but not B. :lmao:

It's very clear that you wrote the post as a comparison between "center" and "in-home care" with no understanding of what I actually said.

I guess now I can say it bothers me when people don't read carefully as well. I never once said that a licensed in home provider was better than either an unlicensed provider or a center. I did point out some additions to the regulations of being licensed vs unlicensed. I also did talk about overcrowding. I have seen that happen with unlicensed providers, however I also know those that only take on a couple of kids so it wouldn't be an issue. I was only pointing out differences and not saying one is better than another. Basically pointing out that some in home providers are required to follow similar guidelines to what a daycare center would.
I absolutely saw that you stated unlicensed. I can also see that even when asked by me as well as another poster you aren't giving any reason for your comments. So honestly what do you expect people to think? If you'd read my post carefully you would have seen that I stated: In reality as long as the child/children are being properly cared for then that's all that should matter.
You are certainly entitled to your opinions. However you shouldn't get upset when others assume that you think a child isn't taken care of by an unlicensed provider as well as they would be by a licensed provider or a childcare center. You haven't given any reason that we shouldn't assume your comment was intended any differently.

I think you need to clearly define the expectations of caring for a second child. On average, an infant is ~$300/week and so if you have their toddler + infant, there definitely needs to be some communication. Don't sell yourself short and be verbal to your needs!

That amount depends on her area. Here that would be a crazy amount to ask for.

I guess now I can say it bothers me when people don't read carefully as well. I never once said that a licensed in home provider was better than either an unlicensed provider or a center. I did point out some additions to the regulations of being licensed vs unlicensed. I also did talk about overcrowding. I have seen that happen with unlicensed providers, however I also know those that only take on a couple of kids so it wouldn't be an issue. I was only pointing out differences and not saying one is better than another. Basically pointing out that some in home providers are required to follow similar guidelines to what a daycare center would.
I absolutely saw that you stated unlicensed. I can also see that even when asked by me as well as another poster you aren't giving any reason for your comments. So honestly what do you expect people to think? If you'd read my post carefully you would have seen that I stated: In reality as long as the child/children are being properly cared for then that's all that should matter.
You are certainly entitled to your opinions. However you shouldn't get upset when others assume that you think a child isn't taken care of by an unlicensed provider as well as they would be by a licensed provider or a childcare center. You haven't given any reason that we shouldn't assume your comment was intended any differently.
I said I wouldn’t trust an unlicensed provider... because... I wouldn’t trust an unlicensed provider. :rotfl: I don’t know why there’s a comprehension issue, but I won’t pursue this discussion any further.

I said I wouldn’t trust an unlicensed provider... because... I wouldn’t trust an unlicensed provider. :rotfl: I don’t know why there’s a comprehension issue, but I won’t pursue this discussion any further.

But I will...
Its very clear that if you have no other clear valid reason to give its because you would feel like your child is not in good hands just because its an unlicensed in home provider.
I think that is outrageous.
I take offense to it as the OP.
I've worked in a licensed daycare setting and I can tell you those kids are less safe in my experience.
BTW I may not be licensed which basically in my state is just a piece of paper that says you know ratios and nutritional food... blah blah blah basically.
Not that it would make any difference in your eyes but I have been certified one on one for first aid/CPR/AED for adults, children, and infants.
And now please feel free to move on.

But I will...
Its very clear that if you have no other clear valid reason to give its because you would feel like your child is not in good hands just because its an unlicensed in home provider.
I think that is outrageous.
I take offense to it as the OP.
I've worked in a licensed daycare setting and I can tell you those kids are less safe in my experience.
BTW I may not be licensed which basically in my state is just a piece of paper that says you know ratios and nutritional food... blah blah blah basically.
Not that it would make any difference in your eyes but I have been certified one on one for first aid/CPR/AED for adults, children, and infants.
And now please feel free to move on.
Please don't be offended OP - I don't think it was intended. I might have said the same thing as @CinderDuffy myself with no malicious intent. When I was in need of care for DS from a very young age (which is rare here - most parents take a 12 month leave), I would not even consider in-home care; licensed or not. My feelings on it were that there was more security in having a number of adult care-givers present and accountability was better with unscheduled inspections and parents coming and going all day long. Being as my baby obviously couldn't tell me what went on, I was very nervous. My DH and I found many excuses to stop in at odd times just for our own peace-of-mind. We always found the conditions to be satisfactory.

That doesn't reflect on you or any other individual in particular. I don't suggest others shouldn't use whatever service they find appropriate.

Actually there are many high quality in home child care providers.

Having a license means they meet the state requirements for a child care center. It doesn't mean your child will necessarily receive better care. Some children do much better with a homenprobider than they do in a center due to the ability to have more one on one attention.
That depends on your state. Here the rules for center day cares and in home day cares are quite different but each have regulations to follow. Licensed home day cares have to meet certain physical safety requirements. They are inspected not only by the county licensing org. but also by the local Fire Marshall. They are required to have ongoing classes and training for early childhood etc. I have a great deal of experience in the field and I also would have NEVER left my children in an unlicensed facility. Licensed? Absolutely, but otherwise, no way.

That depends on your state. Here the rules for center day cares and in home day cares are quite different but each have regulations to follow. Licensed home day cares have to meet certain physical safety requirements. They are inspected not only by the county licensing org. but also by the local Fire Marshall. They are required to have ongoing classes and training for early childhood etc. I have a great deal of experience in the field and I also would have NEVER left my children in an unlicensed facility. Licensed? Absolutely, but otherwise, no way.

Here someone can keep up to 5 children without a license. All of those things you list are required of both a licensed center (plus more) and a licensed in home center.

I was owner/director of a center for 12 years. All the training and education that went along with it. We were inspected by the Helath dept, the Dept of Ed., the fire department and I am sure someone I have forgotten.

As a certified director and part of a director's group we offered training for unlicensed home providers and we had a good many that came for training. They were good care providers that offered quality childcare for a lower price than we could do for the parents in their neighborhoods. Some were retired teachers, a couple had been children's ministers or directors in churches. Some like the OP formerly worked in licensed centers.

Are there some that have more than 5? Not in the groups we worked with but sure there are. There are also licensed providers that are over ratio. Are there some that don't take good care of the children? Unfortunately, probably. But the same can be said of some licensed provider.

Whether you choose a licensed provider, an unlicensed provider, a nanny or Aunt Susie, as a parent you need to make sure of the care your child is receiving. You do as much as humanely possible to check it out before and keep it up while your child is there. A piece of paper on the wall does not guarantee quality care.

Last edited:
Here someone can keep up to 5 children without a license. All of those things you list are required of both a licensed center (plus more) and a licensed in home center.

I was owner/director of a center for 12 years. All the training and education that went along with it. We were inspected by the Helath dept, the Dept of Ed., the fire department and I am sure someone I have forgotten.

As a certified director and part of a director's group we offered training for unlicensed home providers and we had a good many that came for training. They were good care providers that offered quality childcare for a lower price than we could do for the parents in their neighborhoods. Some were retired teachers, a couple had been children's ministers or directors in churches. Some like the OP formerly worked in licensed centers.

Are there some that have more than 5? Not in the groups we worked with but sure there are. There are also licensed providers that are over ratio. Are there some that don't take good care of the children? Unfortunately, probably. But the same can be said of some licensed provider.

Whether you choose a licensed provider, an unlicensed provider, a nanny or Aunt Susie, as a parent you need to make sure of the care your child is receiving. You do as much as humanely possible to check it out before and keep it up while your child is there. A piece of paper on the wall does not guarantee quality care.
Absolutely. I spent one week in a home daycare as an infant. My father dropped by unannounced one afternoon and the woman was ANGRY, not wanting him to come inside. He didn’t notice anything amiss but really wasn’t interested in why, just took me right home and I never went back. If I used daycare with my own kids, I would have done the same thing re: dropping by unannounced to see what the standard of care was. That’s also when the story came up - when DH and I were discussing childcare options with my parents in case our current arrangement didn’t work out. I think parents have been doing that for a very long time.

Absolutely. I spent one week in a home daycare as an infant. My father dropped by unannounced one afternoon and the woman was ANGRY, not wanting him to come inside. He didn’t notice anything amiss but really wasn’t interested in why, just took me right home and I never went back. If I used daycare with my own kids, I would have done the same thing re: dropping by unannounced to see what the standard of care was. That’s also when the story came up - when DH and I were discussing childcare options with my parents in case our current arrangement didn’t work out. I think parents have been doing that for a very long time.

The parents of the child I take care of are oddly quite the opposite.
They always knock and wait for me to answer which I've told them repeatedly is not necessary.
I tell them you can walk right in when I have your child here especially because if we are playing I have to leave her or pick her up and take her with me to go answer the door.

Maybe the provider just didn't want your dad around the other children in her care - I am not so sure I would be happy if I was one of the other parents and my little one said some weird man was wandering around at daycare today. :confused3

Maybe the provider just didn't want your dad around the other children in her care - I am not so sure I would be happy if I was one of the other parents and my little one said some weird man was wandering around at daycare today. :confused3
Oh, please. He was there to see/pick up his child unexpectedly early, not a man off the street wandering around the house. I imagine that most good parents would go inside to pick up their children and might walk around, especially in the beginning, curious to see the facilities their child is using at a time when their presence is unexpected and any issues will come to light. Ridiculous comment.

What do you do - wait in the car for someone to bring your child out? You don’t go in at all? Really? :scared1:

Seems like the provider did not want to let @CinderDuffy father in the door before the expected time and that would definitely tell me there is an issue! Good for him taking responsibility for his child’s welfare.....

I only skimmed the last two pages, so I may be repeating, but to the OP, do you need the money? Once you set dates and cost, if they walk away, how will that affect you?

Would the response be the same if the mother had shown up and "wandered around at daycare"?

The provider should be with him but allowing him to see where his child is and what is going on in the house. Its not that hard. You don't hover but you flit around close by. And its not about "a man" its anyone that comes in where the children are. You figure out how to watch without making someone think you suspect them of something.

Surely, as a parent, you would realize that other parents are in and out of the house/center?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter