Average retirement savings

plus lost her SS and pension

this is why it is so vital for anyone fortunate enough to have a pension program to make sure and look at what options they might have for taking it when the time comes. both mine and dh's (different government employers) offer several options that can ensure a surviving spouse (or disabled adult child) can continue to receive as much as the full monthly amount the retiree opting for this receives. there are other programs that offer only a portion of the monthly benefit to a survivor but the key element is it retains that survivor's link to eligibility for group healthcare/dental.

social security-i'm interested to see if one of the proposals for changing the program is instituted. as you've experienced w/ your parents the social security income to a household can drop greatly upon the death of one spouse-the proposal is some kind of new formula that would take into consideration the benefits of both spouses to come up with a survivor's benefit amount (so instead of losing 100% of your late spouse's benefit it might be more like losing just a portion of it which would be added on to the surviving spouse's ss benefit).

this is why it is so vital for anyone fortunate enough to have a pension program to make sure and look at what options they might have for taking it when the time comes. both mine and dh's (different government employers) offer several options that can ensure a surviving spouse (or disabled adult child) can continue to receive as much as the full monthly amount the retiree opting for this receives. there are other programs that offer only a portion of the monthly benefit to a survivor but the key element is it retains that survivor's link to eligibility for group healthcare/dental.

social security-i'm interested to see if one of the proposals for changing the program is instituted. as you've experienced w/ your parents the social security income to a household can drop greatly upon the death of one spouse-the proposal is some kind of new formula that would take into consideration the benefits of both spouses to come up with a survivor's benefit amount (so instead of losing 100% of your late spouse's benefit it might be more like losing just a portion of it which would be added on to the surviving spouse's ss benefit).
Yes, my mom‘s pension was larger because they set it so my dad’s benefits through her government job would end if she passed. Keep in mind my mom was a fitness nut, clean eater, with no cancer at all in her family, my dad ate like crap, zero exercise, overweight and drank too much, plus smoked a long time and had hbp and COPD, and was 4 years older. No one has a crystal ball, what they did made sense at the time.

This is in line with what I’ve read. My thing is, an emergency is different for different people.
It can, just like life, it's open to interpretation. The three questions Ramsey uses does help to define it to a degree.

My experience is that most everyone can save.
My DH started his 401k when he was making $6.50 an hour (1992) and living with three other guys on bunk beds in a one bedroom apartment.
Today, in 2020 DH has over 900k in retirement. Never having made more than $30 an hour. And he is 47.
Compound interest when you start saving at age 19 is impressive.

Perhaps in your area it is, in my area it is not. I have two boys, neither had what Id' consider any considerable amount of time spent on it. They are far to focused on teaching for college then for real life. Both of our boys learned it at home from my wife and I. As I said in my statement, not all schools teach it, let alone teach it adequately.

As a teacher, I honestly hate that we get blamed for whatever ails us (Kinda like being a mom.)

In my opinion, personal finance cannot be effectively taught to 16-17 year olds in a classroom. It is difficult (possibly impossible) to concretely teach it. Teachers have students set up fictional budgets from fictional jobs where there are no rewards for good decisions nor consequences for poor ones. Add to that an age group who thinks, “wow! I could make 1K per week!? Easy street for sure!”

All that to say, personal finance needs to be taught in concrete ways at home.

Last edited:
One of the best personal finance lessons I learned is that no one has a crystal ball. No one can consistently deliver market beating returns. The best way you can improve your returns is to reduce fees. There are plenty of vultures out there willing to suck you dry by charging you close to 2% to manage your money. This is crazy. You are far better off going to Fidelity, Schwab, or Vanguard and getting one of their index funds that charges close to 0% management fees. The nice man you met at church that offered to manage your money should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:
Well I don't do those jobs but my perception is those are still very well paying jobs. Really well paying if working in a union shop.

Agreed. You absolutely can make big cash if you are a union HVAC installer in the Puget Sound. The pay is very generous and the benefits are excellent.

I can see where the property taxes could be an issue. That was the entire driving factor behind Proposition 13 here in California in 1978. Seniors in their homes for 40 years or more.....which was not unusual.....were actually being asked to pay more per year in property taxes that they had paid for their houses.
But lifestyle is huge. I managed my mom's finances for the last year of her life, she passed away in 2013. She had a house that had been paid for for 50+ years. Her property taxes were $925 a year. By comparison, I sold that house at market value and the new owners property taxes were $6,605 per year. Her car was 10 years old and she paid cash for it (it only had 10,000 miles on it when she passed).
Her total monthly expenses were $650. Her social security was $1,250 a month. More than enough to cover all expenses. She had a pension of $400 and an annuity that paid her $170 a month. That was her take vacations money. Australia, New Zealand, Europe, South America.....and more cruises than I can count. But she and my dad were very tight with money. We had plenty to eat, but growing up in the 1960's pizza was the Chef Boy Ardee boxed kit for less than $1 (a little more with all the stuff mom added to it). Pizza parlor pizza was just to expensive. Dinner out was Sambos.......or if a special dinner, Mr. Steak or Happy Steak.
But it paid off, because when my dad got sick and passed away when I was 9, we could get by on just my mom's paycheck. But, like I said, lifestyle is huge.

Wow, I thought our property taxes were alot! That's crazy.
LOL, I remember those ChefBoyArDee pizza boxes. I actually loved them, even though we never got the dough done! Our special out to eat place was the buffet at Bonanza!
A different world now and I don't know how families manage these days.
Thanks for your thoughtful comments:)

I can see where the property taxes could be an issue. That was the entire driving factor behind Proposition 13 here in California in 1978. Seniors in their homes for 40 years or more.....which was not unusual.....were actually being asked to pay more per year in property taxes that they had paid for their houses.
But lifestyle is huge. I managed my mom's finances for the last year of her life, she passed away in 2013. She had a house that had been paid for for 50+ years. Her property taxes were $925 a year. By comparison, I sold that house at market value and the new owners property taxes were $6,605 per year. Her car was 10 years old and she paid cash for it (it only had 10,000 miles on it when she passed).
Her total monthly expenses were $650. Her social security was $1,250 a month. More than enough to cover all expenses. She had a pension of $400 and an annuity that paid her $170 a month. That was her take vacations money. Australia, New Zealand, Europe, South America.....and more cruises than I can count. But she and my dad were very tight with money. We had plenty to eat, but growing up in the 1960's pizza was the Chef Boy Ardee boxed kit for less than $1 (a little more with all the stuff mom added to it). Pizza parlor pizza was just to expensive. Dinner out was Sambos.......or if a special dinner, Mr. Steak or Happy Steak.
But it paid off, because when my dad got sick and passed away when I was 9, we could get by on just my mom's paycheck. But, like I said, lifestyle is huge.

Forgive me if this is a repeat. I wrote it out and thought I hit post, but can't find it.
Anyway.
Wow, those property tax increases are crazy! I guess, from reading the comments, that I am not alone and I am not the biggest tax payer either. Still big enough.
I remember the Chefboyardee Pizza box pizzas. Loved them, even though we never got the dough done,LOL.
For a big night out, we went to the buffet at Bonanza for a steak dinner. We thought we were really living then!
I honestly don't know how this generation can save for retirement, save for college, pay housepayments, insurance, car loans, etc, etc, plus the costs that comes with raising kids?
Thanks for your thoughtful response:)

Forgive me if this is a repeat. I wrote it out and thought I hit post, but can't find it.
Anyway.
Wow, those property tax increases are crazy! I guess, from reading the comments, that I am not alone and I am not the biggest tax payer either. Still big enough.
I remember the Chefboyardee Pizza box pizzas. Loved them, even though we never got the dough done,LOL.
For a big night out, we went to the buffet at Bonanza for a steak dinner. We thought we were really living then!
I honestly don't know how this generation can save for retirement, save for college, pay housepayments, insurance, car loans, etc, etc, plus the costs that comes with raising kids?
Thanks for your thoughtful response:)
Well, I can't say how this generation will save for retirement. My son and DIL and Granddaughter are out of town and my son just texted me and asked me to unlock the security door on their house to let their maid in, and the lock on the gate to let the gardener in. LOL. So they HAVE the money, they are just choosing to spend it elsewhere. Actually, they may be okay. The both have public sector jobs with pensions equal to 60% of their final year's pay, PLUS a 401k, but not sure how much they are putting into that.
My daughter is a little like me, and a lot like my mother. She puts 15% into her 401k (she's 29) has a 3 year old car that is paid off, and owns her own home. Other than a Nintendo switch, she spends very little on anything other than necessities.

As a teacher, I honestly hate that we get blamed for whatever ails us (Kinda like being a mom.)

In my opinion, personal finance cannot be effectively taught to 16-17 year olds in a classroom. It is difficult (possibly impossible) to concretely teach it. Teachers have students set up fictional budgets from fictional jobs where there are no rewards for good decisions nor consequences for poor ones. Add to that an age group who thinks, “wow! I could make 1K per week!? Easy street for sure!”

All that to say, personal finance needs to be taught in concrete ways at home.

I think all education needs to be a partnership between the schools and home. As a parent it is as much my job to make sure my child is taught what he needs to be successful as it is his school's.

That being said I do think at least some education needs to be done in school as part of any comprehensive curriculum. The grade school I attended was part of a program where local business leaders came in and taught life lessons to augment the curriculum. I still remember many of these lessons in 5th and 6th grade, more than the standard lessons. We were taught how credit cards work and the consequences of using them and paying only minimum balances. We were taught about investing, filing tax returns, and the consequences of financial decisions.

The one lesson that really caught my attention was about purchasing new vs used cars. I can't remember the exact dollar figures but we had the VP of a local Fortune 1000 company come in and do a comparison. One one side of a ledger he purchased a new car, putting some % down and financing the rest for 5 years. On the other side he purchased a much less expensive used car, put the same amount down (which made it a higher %), and each month he took 80% of the difference between the two payments and invested it in a fund. That extra 20% he kept was put into an account for the added maintenance of buying a used car. He took the current rate of growth of the stock market and applied that rate to the investment over the next 30 years. It really highlighted how one seemingly minor financial decision could have a lasting effect all the way into retirement.

While parents should also teach these kinds of things there is something to be said about trained professionals also teaching it.

@teller80 : have you figured out the best age to collect social security?

I have a defined pension plan. Before I retire, I'm going to see if I can leave some of it to my sibling, as I will have no other heirs. If I can, then I will take a reduced amount. Sibling also has a defined pension plan but won't be able to retire until 8-10 years after I plan to and won't get 100% of salary either. Both of us have 401Ks (well, our employers' equivalent which is a 457 and a 401(b) but hers has more money in it because she always put the max away for that, since her first job out of graduate school, while I waited a few years into my first job out of graduate school, then changed jobs for less money, so waited a few years after I started that new job too.)

Well, I can't say how this generation will save for retirement. My son and DIL and Granddaughter are out of town and my son just texted me and asked me to unlock the security door on their house to let their maid in, and the lock on the gate to let the gardener in. LOL. So they HAVE the money, they are just choosing to spend it elsewhere. Actually, they may be okay. The both have public sector jobs with pensions equal to 60% of their final year's pay, PLUS a 401k, but not sure how much they are putting into that.
My daughter is a little like me, and a lot like my mother. She puts 15% into her 401k (she's 29) has a 3 year old car that is paid off, and owns her own home. Other than a Nintendo switch, she spends very little on anything other than necessities.
The bolded could be a thread subject all on its own!

Yes, my mom‘s pension was larger because they set it so my dad’s benefits through her government job would end if she passed. Keep in mind my mom was a fitness nut, clean eater, with no cancer at all in her family, my dad ate like crap, zero exercise, overweight and drank too much, plus smoked a long time and had hbp and COPD, and was 4 years older. No one has a crystal ball, what they did made sense at the time.

I used to go round and round with my DH over this. He is 5 years younger than me, has no pre-existing conditions, and thinks he is going to live forever. He wanted to do no survivor benefits so he would get a higher number. When his healthy dad dropped dead at 75 and my parents, who have cancer and kidney disease, are still living in their late 80's he saw the light and realized I might outlive him.

The bolded could be a thread subject all on its own!

Well, it sound generous, but the vast majority of public sector jobs pay significantly less than equivalent private sector jobs. The public sector job pensions are, in large part, "delayed compensation." Plus, many public sector jobs might offer a 401k equivalent, but won't all match contributions.

Well, it sound generous, but the vast majority of public sector jobs pay significantly less than equivalent private sector jobs. The public sector job pensions are, in large part, "delayed compensation." Plus, many public sector jobs might offer a 401k equivalent, but won't all match contributions.
Exactly this. Plus in my state I can’t take my husbands ss should he die first. The WEP does not allow for it.

The show Til Debt Do Us Part with Gail Vaz-Oxlade really highlighted this. You don't NEED to spend hundred of dollars a month on clothing. You WANT to spend hundreds of dollars a month on clothing.
I loved that show!
If you are dipping into an "emergency fund" often your budget has missing line items. Water heaters break, roofs need replacing, and car insurance is due every 6 months. Those aren't emergencies.
Agree. If you own a house or a car, you know things are going to break and cost money -- you don't have a magic roof that will never leak or tires that will never need replacing. You need to have some money "at the ready".
We have everything paid off, car, house, etc. The property taxes where we are at are huge, but there is nothing we can do about that.
I totally agree that being debt-free is one of the best ways to keep your expenses low in retirement. And making the right choices will make that so much more possible; for example, don't "move up" to a bigger house and consider downsizing to one car (which is more possible than people would like to admit).

As for property taxes, yeah, you can't change the tax rate where you live, but you aren't required to live where you live. Yeah, the kids and the cost of moving and other factors ... but if push comes to shove, you do have the choice to live elsewhere.
I can see them paring back some benefits to those who have a nice sized nest egg so they can provide a living to those who have not saved anything We can't have elderly out on the street. My husband and I don't even factor in social security for our retirement planning because it probably won't be there in 15-20 years for those who have a decent savings.
I can see this happening too, and I resent it. I've never been a high earner, but I've worked my butt off since I was 16, and the government has taken 6.2% of everything I've earned for decades. If I'd had that money, my savings would have been higher. I do deserve a return on all that money.
There needs to be good opportunities for those that don't go to university.
Such opportunities exist in the form of trades. My electrician brother makes more than I do, and I have two degrees.
My experience is that most everyone can save.
My DH started his 401k when he was making $6.50 an hour (1992) and living with three other guys on bunk beds in a one bedroom apartment.
Today, in 2020 DH has over 900k in retirement. Never having made more than $30 an hour. And he is 47.
Two comments:
- Yes, that's how I lived just out of school: I lived in a 2 bedroom /1 bath apartment with five roommates. When my husband and I were first married, we sold one car and made it work. We lived an hour away from his office, and I was in college and working part time. It required lots of cooperation, but it meant we were able to save.
- Years ago someone told me that your first $100,000 takes forever to save, but then it takes off. It's true: I'm nearing retirement, and on a good month I make more in interest than in my paycheck. But getting to this point can be discouraging.
Agree -- and it is being taught in math classes, in Civics classes, etc. It doesn't "stick" for a couple reasons:
- 9th and 10th graders still have a fantasy that success is all about choosing a high-paying career. They spin stories about how they'll star in the NFL or be rappers with mansions in multiple cities. Since the Kardashians became "a thing", the idea of heading up a cosmetics company has been a popular idea. You-Tube star and Professional Video Gamer are also popular fantasy occupations. These kids aren't interested in studying budgets because they are SO SURE that they're going to make so much money that it just won't matter.
- Kids see that their parents are struggling with money, but they figure that it's because their parents made bad choices -- they seem to think that their parents chose assistant fast food manager as a career /not that circumstances pushed them into that low-salary position. They think that they will never be in that same circumstance because they're going to make better choices.
- Older high school students who have part-time jobs tend to think "they're earning their own way" because they're paying a car payment and a phone payment. They vastly underestimate the cost of taxes for full-time workers, the extras that come with housing, and the incredibly high cost of insurance. They get the idea that if they have money in their pocket with a part-time McDonald's job, the same job full-time will be plenty-enough.
- All too many students are weak at math and just refuse to pay attention to the monster-difference interest makes (whether it's a matter of paying it or watching it build your accounts).
- The whole concept of saving for retirement seems so far away ... and, at the same time, they feel the pull of things they want so badly right now: an apartment of their own, a car, nice clothes, a vacation. Advertising pushes them towards instant gratification, and even if they understand that they should be saving, it makes so much sense to "live it up" a few years while they're still on an entry-level salary ... and surely they'll start saving in a year or two.
- A variation on that theme: all too many girls still see saving and money management as a man's job. They figure they "need" to spend on clothes, etc. until they get married ... and then they'll have a man to take care of all that stuff.
- Or they just don't think beyond today. That's common.

So, yeah, they're getting personal finance lessons in math class and Civics class, but those lessons don't seem "real". It's what I see in high school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter