Autism Shirt

my son dylan 8 who has cp and is aspy mildly was with us at a state fair once some one was staring at him my wife got mad went over to the air brush stand and got a shirt that said WHAT'S THE MATTER YOU NEVER SAW A KID IN A WHEELCHAIR BEFORE?

dylan loved it he would have shouted it at people if we let him

scott

I saw two I liked at cafe press.

One was:
1 in 150 children is diagnosed with Autism. One is mine.

And the other was:
If your happy and you know it FLAP YOUR HANDS.

Those are AWESOME!!!!!!!

I will be the lowly voice of dissent and say I wouldn't advertise my disability while on vacation. Granted, I am not a parent to a disabled child, but I am a disabled adult who's been disabled since childhood. I'm a paraplegic. If someone stares at me, they stare. I usually don't even notice. I will never see these people again, why should I care?

The only time I addressed a "stare-er" was in a restaurant once. A woman at a table next to us kept turning my way and literally staring holes through me. I kept asking my husband if I had a booger on my face or something. Finally I looked at her and excitedly said, "Keep staring, I might do a trick!!"

She finally knocked it off. Never did figure out why she was staring.

Anyway, like I said, I don't feel the need to advertise my disability. If a stranger wants to know why I'm in a wheelchair, I'm more than happy to explain to them. Sorry to be blunt, but if my mother had put a t-shirt on me that said, "5 out 10 children will be injured because of drunk driving. I was one of them," when I was a child, I would have been pretty embarassed. My disability doesn't define me. I'm not a victim and I'm not a statistic.

Sorry, just thought I would offer another opinion.

I totally agree with you LindsayDunn228.

Like I said in another thread, it is not my job to justify mine or my children existence.

I would buy one of the shirts I listed above. Not for my vacation. But for myself.

I can never understand why people feel the need to stare at anyone. I use to think that they must have been raised better, but as I have gotten old I realize actually they weren't.

I like the two shirt I listed because they speak to me.

Growing up I always found my DDs hand flapping to be very endearing. While her face never changed, you could tell she was connecting with her environment by this small clue. It was something that was important to me.

Stating that my DD is one in 150 reminds me that we are far from alone. It also says that although people might see Autism as something that's over there, not in our world, they are wrong. It right here. An over on the next block also.

Lindsay,

I think the difference is that your disability is visible and our kids aren't.

The autism awareness ribbon on the front and the stats on the back sounds like a great one. (As for me, I'm getting a 'Bad Flare Day' from butyoudontlooksick)

Suzanne

I really like Amy's designs and she is so very nice. She has helped me when I have problems with designs.

I am making our shirts because of the problems with the GAC on ebay. It seems that anyone will go in a get a GAC now and then sell it. The CM have to honor the GAC and not question the disability.

Our son has autism, it is a social and behavior disorder but he looks great, talks and is fun...for a few minutes. I have a TBI, I look good, speak but have the hardest time just getting thru a single day.

It is our hope that by making and wearing these shirts the CM's and public will know why we have a GAC, why my son is acting "weird" why I can't remember where I left my family....:scared1:

I hope to make a something nice for the back of my shirt, like the 1 in 150 ask me about autism.

I look at our trip as a chance to help other understand and learn about autism and the challenges we face each day.

Blessings, April

April,

I still like your Mickey "Autism Awareness" shirt. Our next trip is not until at least 2009, but to have 14 people wearing bright yellow shirts blasting AUTISM AWARENESS will be awesome! I will save your design until then. It is nice to have others approach us to talk about autism. Thanks again. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter