Autism Shirt

tacomaranch

Tacoma Ranch home of wild mustangs! We are all on
With all these folks selling GACs and abusing the system I wondered if I should make a cute little shirt for DS and I wear about autism? DS and my brain injury are not physical disabilities but we have such a hard time functioning in the world.

I am pretty good at photoshop and can create maybe a Disney character but put the autism bow on the character or put something like "ask me about Autism" on the shirt.

What do you think?

April

With all these folks selling GACs and abusing the system I wondered if I should make a cute little shirt for DS and I wear about autism? DS and my brain injury are not physical disabilities but we have such a hard time functioning in the world.

I am pretty good at photoshop and can create maybe a Disney character but put the autism bow on the character or put something like "ask me about Autism" on the shirt.

What do you think?

April

If you make one, I'd love the graphic! It would certainly cut down on the dirty looks I get from other adults when they think my kid isn't acting his age!

I think that is a wonderful idea. Someone, I think here on the DIS, did something similar, maybe it was cards explaining about Autism and she got so many great responses. I would also love to see the graphic after you complete it if you decide to do it.

I have a Dcousin 5 y.o. that has Autism and he just started real school last week, and is having a difficult time getting adjusted to a new schedule, so I do know how hard it is to live with a child with Autism. I just hope that the people that look at you that way never have to deal with this disorder, but I certainly wouldn't love Dcousin any less either way, he is such a sweet, loving child. He also informed me to make sure I brought him some lollipops from WDW, so have to make sure I do that for him.

Suzanne princess:

I think it's a great idea.

I saw a really clever shirt on a boy with obvious ASD.

It read really big, AUTISM Rocks. In smaller letters under it it read.... And Rolls, and yells and even flaps hands.

Here is a link on some other clever ideas.

http://www.cafepress.com/autismbites

I agree that shirts are a good idea - my son & I wear matching Autism Speaks shirts or Cure Autism Now Walk shirts - great way to raise awareness & sometimes to meet people, as we did in the elevator in the Land pavilion during our April trip. We compared our "stroller as wheelchair" stickers. :)

We also have yellow shirts with the autism ribbon on front & the legend about the ribbon on the back. If you're willing to talk about it, go for it! I'm going to check out the link that was posted to see if I can find some new shirts.

Laura

I think the shirts are a great idea.:thumbsup2 My family is in the process of starting a non-profit org to boost awareness of the abilities & contributions of people w/ Down syndrome, and I made us all shirts. I did several styles. One has a pic of my DS2 & says "Who knew an extra chromosome could cause this much cuteness?" and one says "I think we should call it UP syndrome!" And we did another w/ a local barrel racer w/ Down syndrome that says "I have an extra chromosome. What's your excuse?" (Although in the future, we'll reprint to say "Kasey doesn't let a little thing like an extra chromosome get in the way"). The backs all have our web address, TheNewFaceOfDowns.org .

Society is so scared, and often repulsed, by individuals with cognitive disabilities/challenges, and I think it is great to make opportunities to get conversations going. People stop me all the time to read my shirt, and I'm always touched by hearing their stories of how their lives have been blessed by someone w/ Down syndrome.

Plus, if someone starts to shoot you a dirty look:snooty: , and then they see your shirt and are duly quieted, yeahbuddy! That's just a plus!:rolleyes1

You'll have to post pics of your shirt after you do it.

I have a son how is 13 and has "Autism"

On our 1st trip to WDW in 2004 I made up shirts for him that said " I have "Autism" What's YOUR Problem ?"

IT seemed to make people around us more at ease when he wore it. When he was not... we got the looks like "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" or "MAN ... is he SPOILED" !!!

He does not want to wear them now... as he said" Teenagers don't wear that"
" Not even if it's a Tie-dye"

Our DS had a t-shirt about a couple of years ago that I bought from cafepress! It was pretty simple, just the small ribbon and it said "one in 166".

I admit I was sad when it got to small for him, but not to worry since the statistic is wrong now too. :sad2: I was thinking about buying another one or two for him.

When he wore his, there were usually one of two reactions... either it would shut people up :lmao: .... or we also had people say something to us, that had a grandchild with autism, that sort of thing. So it was win-win. I also have an autism ribbon magnet on my car, and have had people come up to me in the Wal-Mart lot to ask about it, or because they know someone with autism.

You know, we're here, we're all over the place, but we're a little hard to find sometimes. ;) I'm amazed at how often I run into someone with a grandchild or nephew or neighbor's son... sometimes advertising is a good thing that way too.

AUTSIMAWARENESSSHIRTJEP.jpg

I just finished the front. I also made one that says "HUNTER"

If anyone wants a personalized name, please just let me know and I will make them for you...free!

Just looked at this website and they have some great items. I think I am going to order a few things. Thank you for posting it.

Suzanne princess:

You are very welcome. We ordered 6 t-shirts, one for each day. Saved me from getting the "looks" when DS started flopping and flapping (LOL)...

That is a GREAT shirt! How would we be able to use it? I was thinking that I'd make up matching shirts for everyone for our next trip. Cool! :)

Just copy the properties and then save it to your computer. Edit any way you would like. I am so happy to share!

Hey Folks, a gentle reminder:

You can discuss ideas and designs, and share ideas and designs.

If you happen to see some place that sells something useful you can refer to it or even provide a link.

HOWEVER, You cannot advertise for sale (on DisBoards) anything that you are personally selling or profiting from the sale of. You cannot even say that you are selling items or have them available.

Personally I think these are a good idea, but we don't want to have to give anyone infractions for violating board policy.

I am just designing for fun and giving the designs away to anyone who wants them.

This is made from another persons design but I changed it to fit our needs.
Sabatstickfigures.jpg

Thanks, April

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter