Aulani vs. Cruise Adults Only

justme0729

DIS Veteran
Would you rather do 8 nights at Aulani or a 7 night carribean DCL cruise with 1 night at WDW for a last trip before expecting to have kids? I'm thinking Aulani will be harder to get to with young kids so maybe we should go while it is just the two of us but I'm wondering if there is a chance we could get bored at Aulani. We've never been to Hawaii and we went on a 5 night Bahamian DCL cruise for our honeymoon and loved it.

With more low cost airlines starting to fly to Honolulu, Hawaii is becoming more affordable, but it really depends. With cruises they are more a sampler platter while Aulani you might get to know destination better, if you don't stay in the Disney bubble(which is why it is probably an hour outside Honolulu). Both options offer surfing(depending on Caribbean itinerary).

I visited Aulani for a week a few years ago and had a great time. I've been to Hawaii multiple times so I knew what I did and didn't want to do. The resort has a few activities to take advantage of but primarily most people seem to lounge out by the pools, enjoy the lazy river, and ride the water slides (I did this for two full days). I did have a rental car and hung out on the north shore, hiked Diamond Head, toured Pearl Harbor (I never get tired of this), explored more local restaurants and went scuba diving. I've also done 10+ cruises and although I had a great time in Aulani I would choose going on a 7 night Caribbean cruise with 1 night at WDW. Now if you want to try something different than a cruise since you'll already been on one then I vote for Aulani but I feel you get more out of dollars going on a cruise. Good luck with your decision.

Would you rather do 8 nights at Aulani or a 7 night carribean DCL cruise with 1 night at WDW for a last trip before expecting to have kids? I'm thinking Aulani will be harder to get to with young kids so maybe we should go while it is just the two of us but I'm wondering if there is a chance we could get bored at Aulani. We've never been to Hawaii and we went on a 5 night Bahamian DCL cruise for our honeymoon and loved it.

I guess it depends on how much travel time Aulani would eat up and whether that time is "worth" it. If I'm traveling that far, I'm doing longer than 8 nights in Hawaii whereas FL is a "quick" 3 hr plane ride.

We have done both adult only. Aulani resort has an adult only area, but its much more family oriented, and you would have to travel to see the island. The traffic is so bad,it was just like being here in Silicon Valley. The cruise is great because you don't have to travel, its all on-board. There are lots of adult only bars, and adults only restaurants, pools, and spa!

That seems like a no-lose situation. Whichever you do will be fabulous!

I've done both DCL and Aulani as adults only. We often include a few days at WDW when we take a cruise.

I find sitting by the pool and/or beach all day to be extremely boring. The ship offers more diversions, or I can retreat to my balcony and read. Meals are included in the cruise fare, as are evening shows and most other onboard activities. The ships have adult only areas that the CM take pains to keep that way. Sometimes we go on an excursion, and sometimes we just wander around whatever town we are in.

We've done Aulani twice (4 days and 2 weeks) and I went sightseeing almost every day, which means you need a car. Traffic can get heavy in and around Honolulu, but if you time your trip to before or after the daily traffic jams you shouldn't have many problems. That said, I found the traffic to move quicker than we have in the DC metro area so I didn't find it too frustrating. If I knew I was going to encounter the morning or evening commute, I just allowed extra time to get where I was going. I'd often sightsee in the morning, then return in the late afternoon to enjoy the pool or beach for a couple of hours, or just relax on my lanai. Meals are either pay as you go, or fix in your room. We did both, including grilling some locally caught fish a few times.

Out of the choices you listed, I would do the cruise and WDW day. I've cruised on the Fantasy & it was great. I went with my son, but they do have lovely adult areas, and an adults-only beach at Castaway Cay.

I haven't been to Aulani or Oahu, but I did go to Maui with a boyfriend. From the descriptions I've read of Aulani & Oahu, I'd recommend Maui, particularly southern Maui (avoid the touristy Lahaina area in the west) for a romantic vacation over Aulani/Oahu in a heartbeat. More natural beauty, more adult-oriented, less crowding and traffic. Flying over an ocean just to lounge by the Aulani pool with a bunch of families around doesn't sound worthwhile to me. Neither does driving around in a lot of traffic. So given the choices you listed, I'd cruise instead.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts