Aulani trip - need help figuring out how to book prior to 7 month window and options

DisneyMotherOf2

Mouseketeer
OK - We want to stay at Aulani in Summer of 2020. We own at BCV and BWV. I've been told by numerous DVC Reps that booking at the 7 month window for Aulani summer trips is next to impossible as they fill up quickly prior to that. So to ensure we can go without my hair going gray and/or falling out, I need to get my hands on Aulani points and book early. I've determined my options are buying and booking through a service like Dave's DVC Rentals OR finding an Aulani owner to buy the points from and have them transferred. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous about renting points and would prefer to just own them so no one can mess with my reservation. Even going through Dave's it appears you could still potentially have your ressie cancelled. Unless I'm not understanding how he operates?

Any help would be appreciated!!! TIA!

Getting a transfer from an owner will somewhat depend on how many points you need. You can check the rental/trade board to see if anyone has Aulani points they are currently renting/transferring!

Thanks Keaster! I looked on the boards and they don't seem like they're as active as they once were. I'm assuming because of companies like Dave's. I was thinking I might need to do some kind of outreach if people aren't posting as much. Thoughts?

I believe that while it is technically possible for your reservation to be cancelled using a service like Dave's, it is highly unlikely.

I rented points to go to Aulani last year (although this was before I was a DVC member so transferring was not an option) and we booked at the 11 month window just fine. Everything worked out great. Dave's and others have an excellent network and do a great job. Hopefully you can find a transfer so you won't have to worry with doubt, but don't count out renting. We had a wonderful experience.

Edited to remove reference to other specific businesses.

Last edited:
OK - We want to stay at Aulani in Summer of 2020. We own at BCV and BWV. I've been told by numerous DVC Reps that booking at the 7 month window for Aulani summer trips is next to impossible as they fill up quickly prior to that. So to ensure we can go without my hair going gray and/or falling out, I need to get my hands on Aulani points and book early. I've determined my options are buying and booking through a service like Dave's DVC Rentals OR finding an Aulani owner to buy the points from and have them transferred. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous about renting points and would prefer to just own them so no one can mess with my reservation. Even going through Dave's it appears you could still potentially have your ressie cancelled. Unless I'm not understanding how he operates?

With the DIS Rent/Trade Board you just need to be checking regularly. As recently as last week, there was a member offering Aulani points with a March, 2019 Use Year. Some of the more popular resort point do go quickly and there seems to be many more potential renters than members offering their points.

"I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous about renting points and would prefer to just own them so no one can mess with my reservation. " If this is truly a major concern, your best option may be to make your Aulani reservations through Disney directly or even purchase a contract for Aulani so you are truly in full control (based on availability). ;)
In the almost 20 years I have been associated with the DIS Rent/Trade Board, there have beev fewer than a dozen reported situations where a renter ended up without their reservation. It does happen but there are ways to minimize that likelihood which many renters never bother to perform before sending their money to a stranger (and, even then there have been very few issues with these rentals).

It is good that you recognize the benefit of trying to reserve during the 11 month reservation priority.

Good luck with your rental/transfer! :)

Thank you both for the information. That does make me feel a bit better about renting. Appreciate the responses!

Two comments to share with you about trying to book Aulani for the Summer of 2020:

First, if you intend to use a service like David's, I would contact it at least a month before the 11-month window opens for your travel dates. That way, you can be matched up with an Aulani owner before the booking window opens. You never mentioned what type of accommodation you are hoping to get, nor how many points you will need to rent, but those are two variables that will impact your ability to secure a reservation. It should go without saying that renting 100 points will be a lot easier than renting 500 points, and that trying to get an Ocean View villa is easier than a Standard View villa or a DVC Hotel room.

Second, at the 7-month window May and June are much harder to book than July or August. Most of May through the third week in June is in Aulani's Choice Season; the last week in June through the first half of August is in Aulani's Premier Season. A One-Bedroom Ocean View villa for seven nights goes from 350 points in the Choice Season to 434 points in Premier Season, a jump of 24%. Aulani owners who visit in the Summer months are well aware of the Season shift and, for that reason, try to grab reservations in June rather than in July or August. Thus, competition is very tough for dates in May/June, while its a bit easier later in the summer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter