Aulani or cruise?

jmhaskell

Earning My Ears
If you had to pick Aulani for the first time, or your 3rd Disney cruise, which would you pick and why? Trying to make our choice and keep going back and forth ...

If it were me, I'd choose Aulani. Since (in this scenario) I've already done two cruises, it would be fun to try something new. Aulani is beautiful and Hawaii is so much fun.

That's what I would do! Of course, your certain scenario might be different than mine as far as who is going, what your budget is, time frame, etc.

Last edited:
Aulani. For me, it's simple. You've done 2 cruises and have never done Aulani.
Aulani is literally like a cruise, but it's a hotel, in Hawaii. Are you DVC?

If you like all-inclusive stuff, Aulani is not for you. Everything is expensive and an add-on. You can, of course, go shopping and cook for yourself...but if that's not your style of vacationing (it's not mine!), then a cruise might be better suited. Entertainment is not free, either. So if you are used to shows and whatnot, you won't get that without paying. The Luau is amazing, and really a must-do. We planned accordingly, and had dinner each night, but just ate cheap or pool-side for lunch. We didn't bother with breakfast. We rented a jeep and toured the island, and ate while we were out, as well.

Aulani is frankly more about...relaxing... than a cruise. A cruise seems to be more rigorously scheduled and crammed in.

I am not a fan of cruises, full disclaimer, but my wife and her parents are huge fans. They go on EVERY maiden voyage, plus some. I could go the rest of my life without another cruise. I think I'd like to go to Hawaii again. We didn't take the kids to Hawaii, but there's no doubt they'd have loved the water park, pool, ocean, Aunty's beach house, the outings... but they are always asking about the next cruise. I think we will go in 2021.

If you had to pick Aulani for the first time, or your 3rd Disney cruise, which would you pick and why? Trying to make our choice and keep going back and forth ...
Wow. Difficult choice. Fortunately, its one with no wrong answer.

Having done 15 DCL cruises and 5 trips ti Aulani, I'd suggest you go with the Aulani choice as long as you have enough time. Time is often the determining factor. You need to consider the travel to Aulani vs the travel to the cruise port. If going to Aulani from the east coast, you basically loose a full day plus you'll find recovering from jet lag will impact the following day or two.

Travel issues aside, Aulani is beautiful. Keep in mind that it is NOT a cruise. You'll need to pay for all the things that would otherwise be included in a cruise (meals, etc) at Hawaii rates. There is much to see and do on Oahu and you'll probably need to be there a week to cover just the highlights.

A cruise seems to be more rigorously scheduled and crammed in.

I think cruises are relaxing. I sit in the adult area and read and relax and throw in a bingo game now and then. So it definitely can be relaxing.
We had done 8 cruises before our first trip to Hawaii, staying at Aulani. Aulani is an amazing resort, but I look at our trip as vacation to Hawaii, not Aulani. I had never been to Hawaii and had always wanted to go and explore, so I would have love it no matter where I stayed. If you are planning on a trip to just Aulani, I think that you would enjoy it, just like you enjoy the cruise but you have to pay as you go and there are not as many activities. If you have never been to Hawaii, then rent a car and go and explore the island. You will love the resort, but the island is beautiful.

We have done both many times and usually each in the same yeAr. The experience of a cruise with all food and entertainment included is very different than aulani. But I’d encourage anyone to try aulani at least once. For us it’s magical. We go every year in may for 10 days. May 2020 will be our 7th trip. We have been all over Hawaii on all the islands so when we get to aulani we literally just sit and read. We always get a one bedroom ocean view and make breakfast and lunch and go out to dinner. We love sitting on the lanai, listening to the music and having cocktails and appetizers before dinner and then sitting on the lanai again after dinner.

And if you haven’t been to Hawaii and don’t know if you will ever get back, it’s another experience you will never regret. If possible combine Oahu and aulani with at least one or hopefully two other islands. Maui snd Kauai are my personal favorites.

frankly the ideal if affordable would be a cruise from the west coast to Hawaii, disembarking in Honolulu and spending a few days at aulani. The best of everything.

I would choose Aulani since you haven't done it before. Then again, if you did a cruise you can go with different ports/itinerary than the previous ones you have been on. Aulani would be fun for 2-4 days in regards to the slides/waterpark (pools, lazy river, hot tubs, and two water slides) and just relax with the family. It really depends on what your family is into and what they expect from the trip. The hotel and room is amazing then you can go out to the North Shore and Honolulu to venture and check out the island.

Why not do the Disney Hawaii Cruise that finishes in Honolulu and do a night or two at the Aulani :)! Get the best of both worlds! The cruise is in April/May 2020!

Excited to hear what you decide. Best of luck!

Aulani. I've done both and love both - but Hawaii & Aulani really won us over. Aulani needs extra $$ for outside activities though.

I did Aulani, then we did a cruise, and I left the cruise saying that I felt ripped off because we spent way more than going to Aulani (we are DVC members) and it was no where near as good. The next year we went back to Aulani again and loved it. We are trying a cruise again this year but not with Disney this time. I am hoping it was the extreme price difference that made me not like the Disney cruise rather than cruising itself being not for me. That said we are planning to go back to Aulani next winter and I am looking forward to that far more than I am looking forward to my cruise this winter. So for me it would be Aulani all the way

If it matters, I cancelled our 4th Disney cruise to go to Aulani in April for the first time instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter