Aulani Construction Update

Wailana is an adult only pool but from before it was closed, we often saw teens and sometimes even children in there. I don't think it's regulated much... The family friendly pool and new quick service location don't seem close to completion but I haven't gotten to take a look at Wailana lately. The projected date from what I've heard is late September but we'll see... It's already been pushed back once.

However!! It's not like there aren't any other places to swim. Aside from the amenities in Laniwai Spa, we have the Waikolohe River which connects to the two water slides. We also have 3.. I think 3 (lol) jacuzzis. One is an infinity jacuzzi which overlooks the beach (absolutely beautiful). We also have a pool (where most of the pool-related character activities take place), the menehune bridge for kids, and the semi-private lagoon as well. :)

UPDATE!! My work schedule had me go near the pool today so I had a look at the construction... They are making GREAT progress! I even saw water in the pool today so hopefully that means its almost done :) I didn't get a really good look at it but I know the kiddie area is pretty much done :)

If they're planning on opening all the new areas at the same time that makes sense. I hope not though... Ulu cafe looks FAR from finished but the pool area looks like its almost done. It would be a shame to not have that part open only because the snack shop isn't done yet. We'll see though :/

I came across a you tube video today of the testing of the new Keiki splash zone, you also catch a glimpse of the new infinity edge family pool and the cafe under construction. I must admit both the family pool and the splash area are much smaller than I imagined they were going to be!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MtjqhZVEFU

If they're planning on opening all the new areas at the same time that makes sense. I hope not though... Ulu cafe looks FAR from finished but the pool area looks like its almost done. It would be a shame to not have that part open only because the snack shop isn't done yet. We'll see though :/

I suspect Aulani will open up things in phases, and I also suspect it will have soft openings before the Grand Opening Date of October 19. Even if the new Ulu Cafe isn't operational until October, I see no reason why guests can't access the Ka Maka Pool and Keike Cove Splash area.

I came across a you tube video today of the testing of the new Keiki splash zone, you also catch a glimpse of the new infinity edge family pool and the cafe under construction. I must admit both the family pool and the splash area are much smaller than I imagined they were going to be!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MtjqhZVEFU

Thanks for posting the link. It looks like the plumbing for the new water features is in place.

Wailana is an adult only pool but from before it was closed, we often saw teens and sometimes even children in there. I don't think it's regulated much...

It was a common misconception that Wailana was ever an adult pool. It was a quiet pool/leisure pool meaning anyone could use it. It is going to now be adult-only when the new area opens up. It will be monitored by Recreation cast members...any guest under the age of 18 will be asked to leave...but I can imagine how many people will complain about it..Can't please everyone !!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

It was a common misconception that Wailana was ever an adult pool. It was a quiet pool/leisure pool meaning anyone could use it. It is going to now be adult-only when the new area opens up. It will be monitored by Recreation cast members...any guest under the age of 18 will be asked to leave...but I can imagine how many people will complain about it..Can't please everyone !!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

That is great news okiedokieartichoke!! When DH and I celebrated our anniversary in Aug 2011 at the resort (a kid free trip) we certainly understood there would be families with kids running around, but it was nice to go to the "quiet pool" and have a place to be removed from that when we wanted!

I am glad to hear they will be enforcing it, it's not as if there aren't going to be plenty of kid friendly spaces for families to spend time!

That is great news okiedokieartichoke!! When DH and I celebrated our anniversary in Aug 2011 at the resort (a kid free trip) we certainly understood there would be families with kids running around, but it was nice to go to the "quiet pool" and have a place to be removed from that when we wanted!

I am glad to hear they will be enforcing it, it's not as if there aren't going to be plenty of kid friendly spaces for families to spend time!

Keep in mind it is right next to the new infinity pool for families. So I'm not sure how quiet pool Wailana pool will be in future.

Is there an artists concept drawing somewhere? I am having a difficult time visualizing the final concept and layout within the resort. Thanks

Is there an artists concept drawing somewhere? I am having a difficult time visualizing the final concept and layout within the resort. Thanks

Take a look at Posts #84 and #86 of this thread. Cinderpamela posted an artist's drawing of the new water features in Post #84 and, in Post #86, I added a legend explaining what everything was in the drawing.

These new features are between Aulani's Waianae Building and the lagoon. Here is a photo taken in September 2012 before construction began on the Ka Maka water features. It was taken from Grand Villa #1001 in the Waianae Building. The grassy lawn on the right side of the photo is now the home to these features. The Ka Maka Grotto Pool is located closest to the lagoon at end of the reddish-colored path you see in the lawn. The Keike Cove is located in the extreme lower central portion of the photo. It replaces the Sting Ray Encounter, which was the gray roof barely seen on the lower edge of the photo. The pool on the left side of the photo is the main pool in Waikolohe Valley.

file_zpsdffb99a5.jpg

Saralyn posted a photo of her view from villa #1474 in the Ewa Building looking toward the Waianae Building. If you look closely, you can see the construction area, which is to the left of the Waianae Building.

They have now placed all the chairs and a few tables up and around the Ka Maka pool and Keike Cove area. Looks wonderful. The Keike Cove Splash area is smaller than I thought it would be.:)

They have now placed all the chairs and a few tables up and around the Ka Maka pool and Keike Cove area. Looks wonderful. The Keike Cove Splash area is smaller than I thought it would be.:)

Since they already have the Menehune Bridge play area it's almost a little surprising they did any splash area so a smaller one is probably more appropriate than a larger one.

I'm at Aulani now and the construction seems near completion. They had an event in the new area last night. It looked amazing with all the lights. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened any day now. All the lounge chairs are out and it looks like everything is set up. The only thing that is questionable is the cafe. They have the automatic sliding doors up and the refill drink station is set up outside but can't tell if the inside is complete yet. I'm so excited for it to open though. It really does look amazing!!!

I'm at Aulani now and the construction seems near completion. They had an event in the new area last night. It looked amazing with all the lights. I wouldn't be surprised if it opened any day now. All the lounge chairs are out and it looks like everything is set up. The only thing that is questionable is the cafe. They have the automatic sliding doors up and the refill drink station is set up outside but can't tell if the inside is complete yet. I'm so excited for it to open though. It really does look amazing!!!

Thanks for the update on the Aulani construction. If you can post some photos, that would be great. Also, I'd appreciate it if you'd post a photo or description of your villa's view on the Aulani Villas and Views thread.

Mahalo!

One of the pool attendants stated they wouldn't open until everything is completed, which should be in October since they are not pushed for space right now. Even though the chairs are out they have been moving them around a lot to figure out the best placement. They have finally marked areas now in between chairs to place umbrellas. This area is beautiful and will make a nice addition. Wishing it would open before we leave, but I guess I will just have to make a return trip. :)

Made my weekly call last night to inquire about pool cabana reservations for Oct. Once again, I was told they are not taking reservations yet.

But this time the CM that I talked to told me they should be taking reservations by the end of September. I told him we arrive Oct 2nd and hoped he was right. He told me the new areas were scheduled for a "soft opening" Sept 27th. I asked if he meant that all the new enhancements would be opening and he repeated "soft opening" ( his words ) Sept 27th.

I sure hope he is correct!! We will be at Aulani for 9 days and plan on staying at and enjoying the resort most days.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest