Aulani a Good Wedding Gift?

Personally I wouldn't want it as honeymoon gift. The crowds and kids wouldn't be my first choice for that type of vacation. But sounds like I am the exception . . .

DH and I spent 6 nights at Aulani as part of our honeymoon. We didn't love the family factor, but as Disney fanatics, we couldn't visit Hawaii and NOT stay at Aulani. I think for honeymooners that are Disney fans, Aulani is a fine choice IF you can do a split stay with another resort or an island. We had time at more adult oriented resorts during the rest of our trip, so it offset the family resort factor at Aulani.

That said, I still would not recommend Aulani (or Hawaii at all) to someone does not have a lot of disposable income. Its the most expensive vacation we've taken to date. Its a long trip and a once in a lifetime trip for many, so it would be a shame to go there and have to watch your spending and/or not leave the resort.

While it’s a lovely gesture, adding flights and food will cost them quite a bit.

I vacation at Ko Olina usually every other year (but going twice this year, just got back and am going late summer again), but own and stay at the Marriott right near Aulani. The Marriott is much more spread out, and when I walk by Aulani I’m struck by how close together the chairs are, and how much more crowded it is (it shares the lagoon with the Four Seasons, which was almost empty week before last).

For a honeymoon, I’d want some more relaxation (and that’s from a gal who did honeymoon at WDW, but at the GF).

I would hesitate to offer this gift, as what they’d spend on flights and food, they could get a nice adult only all inclusive in Mexico from Southwest or Apple vacations.

They could fly to WDW much cheaper, if you could secure a DVC room for them there. That is, if they’re into that! I do love it, but it’s not the honeymoon for everyone!

Coming from the East Coast, we also won’t go for less than 2 weeks. I’m doing that again, and IN 2017 I stayed for 4 weeks (some Marriott owners stay longer; one in our facebook group stays there 7 weeks annually). It’s a long flight to get there, and I need time to unwind!

My close DN is getting married in August and I was thinking of giving him and his lovely DW to be a trip to Aulani. At least the room and board. Their choice of dates sometime in the future. But they would have to get the flight and any other incidentals. Is this a reasonable gift? I feel like I would be imposing costs on them, but I don't have the flight $s or would pay for those too. And is there enough for a young couple to do around Aulani in case they didn't want to spend too much going to other locations on the islands? Just exploring this idea at this point.
The board in room and board refers to meals. Aulani doesn't offer a meal plan.

Your proposed gift is very generous BUT it's really a "down payment". WDW tickets, food and flights will add hundreds, probably thousands, to the cost of an Orlando trip.

You have a certain number of points you're willing to allocate as a, generous, gift.

I'd do the math. Figure out what the points will buy. Figure out what you can book at 11 months and what will probably be available at 7 months. Tell the couple something like you can book XXX at Hilton Head. You might be able to book XXX at BCV, XXX at WL (whatever the right initials), XXX at AKL (either area) or for maximum flexibility XXX at SSR.

Previous posters suggested a stay at an all inclusive resort in Mexico or the Caribbean might be more cost effective and romantic. You might check with some of the brokers, like Dave's, and see what you'd get renting your points. You might get enough to pay a substantial part of the cost of an all inclusive.

Is this a reasonable gift?
It is really an awesome gift, but I think giving a gift that imposes a significant financial cost (flights, food and excursions) isn't really an ideal gift. After a wedding they might not have the funds to swing that trip. Plus I have heard many people who mention if you go to HI you really need to go for at least 9 days because you lose 2 days just traveling.

If you are doing this by using DVC points then i would look talk to them to see if they are interested in a trip, this close to their wedding they might already have something planned. If not, then maybe give them the option of choosing a spot - maybe Vero for a few days followed by WDW or just HHI.

Talk to them and see. It really isn't anything you can book and surprise them with, unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter