August 2023 W.I.S.H blissful, bold blue moon

ShannyMcB

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the August 2023 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) Thread!

We're finishing up the July thread and will be officially starting here on Monday the 7th. But please introduce yourself in the meantime and get ready to follow along.

We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format: MOTIVATION MONDAY - TOPIC TUESDAY - WOOHOO WEDNESDAY - THANKFUL THURSDAY - FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY - SOCIAL SATURDAY - SELF-CARE SUNDAY

Host schedule:
7-13 @PAsFab5
14-20 @Oneanne
21-27 @newski_mom
28-September 3 @PollyannaMom

Last edited:
Hello I'm Lizanne, a single lady living in a lovely little town on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State. I've been overweight and pretty unhealthy most of my adult life, but have recently gotten it together and have dropped quite a bit of weight and improved my over all health.

Goals for August are:
- lose 4 or 5 pounds, basically a pound a week.
- attend spin class at least twice a week
- keep my step count up between 8000 and 10,000 daily, as training for my September trip to WDW.

Welcome to the August 2023 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) Thread!

We're finishing up the July thread and will be officially starting here on Monday the 7th. But please introduce yourself in the meantime and get ready to follow along.

We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format: MOTIVATION MONDAY - TOPIC TUESDAY - WOOHOO WEDNESDAY - THANKFUL THURSDAY - FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY - SOCIAL SATURDAY - SELF-CARE SUNDAY

Host schedule:
7-13 @PAsFab5
14-20 @Oneanne
21-27
28-September 3
I guess I will have to opt out of hosting this month as the last two weeks will be the most difficult of my year. I will volunteer once again in September after things have calmed down at school a little.

Hopping over to officially join the August thread.

I'm Christine, a mom of three who finished cancer treatment in June. Now that I'm officially in remission, I'm looking to lose a few of my "I have cancer, I'll eat what I want" pounds and to rebuild strength and endurance.

I'm on vacation for a good chunk of August (woohoo!) so my goal is to maintain focus on the days where I'm home and have a blast on the days where I'm not. I'm signed up for a 10k at the end of September and I'd like to get my running pace down quite a bit before that. To that end, I'm starting some pace training during my weekday 5ks and continuing to build my weekend long run miles. I have about 4lb to go to get back to where my clothes fit me comfortably, but weight loss has been incredibly slow this summer despite me being very disciplined. Hopefully, I'm just at a plateau and the scale will start moving soon.

I'm Nicole, 52, living in southeastern Massachusetts with DH, DS(22), two spoiled kitties and assorted "tank pets". This September I plan to take a couple of mini-classes, enjoy picking up my "niece and nephew" from school again, and volunteer once a week in my friend's kindergarten class.

My September diet and exercise goals are:
- up my usual treadmill time by 5 minutes twice a week
- research and try out two new healthy recipes
- drink at least 8 ounces of water before I pour a second cup of coffee!

I'm Becky - 52 year old mom of 3 great kids - DD26, DD25 and DS21 - married to DH for 32 years. I lost 50 pounds in 2020 and then gained it all back :o . I did it once, I know I can do it again! After that, I still have at least 30 to go after that, but I'll get to that in due time.

I'm disappointed in myself because July was kind of a wash. I did so good during our normal vacation, but then blew it on a company work trip I went on. I knew at the time I wasn't making great choices, but I needed to reign myself in and didn't. The one positive is that it did make me realize how much better my body feels when I make good choices. I felt so bloated during the trip and honestly for a few days after. So, August is another new start!

I'm an accountant at work, so deal with numbers all day. I gravitate toward counting calories because that makes sense to me. I track in loseit right now and it usually keeps me on track. Now that I'm older, the amount of calories I am "allowed" is lower that when I was younger, so I try to be happy with a slower loss. I know it's a lifetime journey, so there's no real hurry to try to get to a finish line or anything.

My goals for this month:

Lose 5 pounds by making good food choices and more steps in.

Track everyday - even if it's not perfect

Get at least 7,500 steps every day

I'm also going to research goal tracking apps. I'd like to find something to track some other daily goals. Things like that are motivating to me.

Thanks for taking weeks folks!

Shannon, 40, from RI. Busy mom of 3, full time business analyst and wife of 15 years.
Motivated to drop the 5ish pounds I have gained since October and get some muscle tone back....returning to wdw in a year and want to be able to do all the walking without getting too tired. Slowly realizing as I am getting older simply eating some soup or salads is not going to be enough to get there. Need to add in some extra movement and pre-bedtime protein to get there I think.
Thank you to this lovely group for your support and humor!

I'm Summer...58 years old, married 30 years to my DH, 64. We have one DD, 25. I'm a veteran early childhood teacher in an inner city public school currently teaching kindergarten. I use MyFitnessPal to become healthier and in better physical condition. My ultimate goal is to lose 60 more pounds. I have discovered that my post menopausal body will not allow me to lose more than one pound a week, maybe two if I’m lucky. I am working on accepting that and trying hard to be consistent and treat this as a forever lifestyle rather than a temporary fix.

This summer has been a refreshing escape from my very demanding and stressful career. Unfortunately August is the time of year for me to start gearing up for the new school year, so I’m not enjoying the end of the summer as much as I should because I'm worried about a lot of issues at school. I’m trying to get out of my head though.

On the bright side is that my life is about to become very structured once again which will help my weight loss efforts tremendously.

I am Danielle, living in Pennsylvania, married to a great husband and we have 3 kids, 2 are young adults up and out of the house (but within a 3-10 min drive!) and DD is 15. I work in a branch of HR and in my spare time our family does all things dog rescue. We have 4 personal dogs and DD has wide variety of small animals.

Goals for August are:

-track honestly, even if it’s ugly
-lose 3 lbs, a little less than a pound a week is all my body really does these days…

When I met my husband nearly 31 years ago, one of the things we had in common was that we were both raised in the Methodist church, me in the city, and him in the suburbs. We were married by both our pastors in my grand gothic revival church in the city. Shortly thereafter, I joined his charming church in the suburbs where we planned on raising our family. This church was home to us for many years where we led the youth group, taught Sunday School, volunteered for nearly everything, and began our marriage. Over the years, inappropriate things went on leaving us disillusioned, so when DD entered elementary school, we left and joined our neighborhood church. We were active there for about 10 years. It never felt like home, but we accepted that this was the way it had to be. After DD graduated high school, a new pastor took over and once again, we were uncomfortable in our place of worship. Since then, we have tried multiple churches mostly online due to the pandemic. I have not been truly happy since before we left our original church 20 years ago. When I discovered that the toxic people moved on to leadership roles in another church in a different town, I finally felt safe to return to the church I joined 30 years ago.

Today we attended our old church. It felt like a homecoming. We were welcomed back with open arms by old friends and a new pastor. I have no doubt that we made the right decision. It's a shame it took so long for us to be able to return, but I feel safe there once again. I have returned home.

When I met my husband nearly 31 years ago, one of the things we had in common was that we were both raised in the Methodist church, me in the city, and him in the suburbs. We were married by both our pastors in my grand gothic revival church in the city. Shortly thereafter, I joined his charming church in the suburbs where we planned on raising our family. This church was home to us for many years where we led the youth group, taught Sunday School, volunteered for nearly everything, and began our marriage. Over the years, inappropriate things went on leaving us disillusioned, so when DD entered elementary school, we left and joined our neighborhood church. We were active there for about 10 years. It never felt like home, but we accepted that this was the way it had to be. After DD graduated high school, a new pastor took over and once again, we were uncomfortable in our place of worship. Since then, we have tried multiple churches mostly online due to the pandemic. I have not been truly happy since before we left our original church 20 years ago. When I discovered that the toxic people moved on to leadership roles in another church in a different town, I finally felt safe to return to the church I joined 30 years ago.

Today we attended our old church. It felt like a homecoming. We were welcomed back with open arms by old friends and a new pastor. I have no doubt that we made the right decision. It's a shame it took so long for us to be able to return, but I feel safe there once again. I have returned home.

I'm so happy to read this!

Happy Sunday everyone!!

@Summer2018 I am so happy to hear things went well at church! Our message at church today was actually about corruption, negativity and issues within churches and that Jesus designed church to be about community and friendship and if your church isn’t giving you that you need to find one that is-and it sounds like you did 💕

My weekend has been busy busy with family and also TWO dates with DH-what a treat! Weather for volunteering Saturday was good for early August-humidity was low so that’s all we can ask for at this time of year!

Everyone enjoy your evening!

I'm Linda an empty-nester from the Pacific NW. We are back from our lovely July travels and I have had three days of work. I did not get up at o'dark thirty to do yogo before work last week. That starts this week! So that's a goal!

I didn't gain anything during our six days in New York City. We managed to see seven amazing Broadway shows in five days and we loved every minute of it (well, maybe not Sweeney Todd--pretty dark story, but ... Josh Groban need I say more!).

A while back someone on here mentioned something about what do you want more. I've been keeping that in the front of my mind when I am tempted by something unhealthy! I'd say it works about 90 percent of the time!

6C365954-EE7F-4A0A-9869-4FA2F98A2825.jpeg
Good Morning Friends and welcome to Monday!! New week-fresh start!

How was your weekend and are you feeling motivated this Monday?

My weekend was great as far as quality time with family and doing things I love.

Not so great was my eating, we ate out 3xs over the weekend, but I did close all my watch rings 2/3 days and I did exercise everyday and got my water in so these are all good things!

I hope everyone has a great Monday!!

How was your weekend and are you feeling motivated this Monday?

Busy but good. I helped run a flea market at DH's lodge, so even though I skipped my regular exercise routine, I was on my feet and active for a larger part of the day than usual, so I figure it's a wash.

I'm motivated today to start getting back into normal routines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter