Atlantic Canadian WDW Fans

Last year, there wasn't any noticeable traffic at March Break. I think that the sagging dollar will make that the case again.

I can only speak to Bangor since we frequent it. I'm not so sure about Portland.

To get from Moncton to Bangor under normal driving conditions:

Via Woodstock, NB: 4 hr 41 min (480 km)
Via St. Stephen, NB: 4 hr 15 min (361 km)*

*Not taking into account the new highway between Saint John & St. Stephen which shaves off kilometres and time.

BTW, Googlemaps says it takes almost an hour longer to get from St. Stephen, NB to Bangor, ME than it actually does. We've timed this leg of the journey many, many times.

So, actual driving time is not a huge difference. I think it's a matter of preference.

The reason I recommend the St. Stephen route is not for the scenery (although it is beautiful) but for better weather, lack of traffic, and imo faster border crossings.

I keep an eye on the wait times out of interest and it seems like Houlton is always report some sort of delay even when Calais isn't. Also, at Houlton they rarely have more than 1 lane open. Here, the max lanes are always open. (Not true coming back into Canada, though, but they have more lanes going that way.) BTW, if you're ever looking for border wait times when entering the US, go here:

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index.asp

So, in the end, it's up to you and it probably makes very little difference when all is said and done but I thought I'd give you a few things to consider. Might as well share my insight as a border townie.

I hate to disagree with you but our experience has been the exact opposite. We have never waited crossing at Houlton, summer or winter. Now I have never crossed at Calais in the winter but in the summer, we have waited between 1 and 2 hours at both crossings. Coming back hasn't been a problem, Canadian side has always had multiple lanes and they are very quick.

Has the new crossing opened yet because the St Stephen crossing is only two lanes and the Milltown is only 1?

My brother used both crossings last year travelling from Moncton and he said he made much better time using Houlton than Calais. Personally, I prefer going through Calais because you get to see more than trees but the highway between Calais and Bangor is more trecherous than the I95. It is also very hilly and has few passing lanes.

I hate to disagree with you but our experience has been the exact opposite. We have never waited crossing at Houlton, summer or winter. Now I have never crossed at Calais in the winter but in the summer, we have waited between 1 and 2 hours at both crossings. Coming back hasn't been a problem, Canadian side has always had multiple lanes and they are very quick.

Has the new crossing opened yet because the St Stephen crossing is only two lanes and the Milltown is only 1?

My brother used both crossings last year travelling from Moncton and he said he made much better time using Houlton than Calais. Personally, I prefer going through Calais because you get to see more than trees but the highway between Calais and Bangor is more trecherous than the I95. It is also very hilly and has few passing lanes.

Like I said, it's a matter of opinion. I am aware how many booths there are in Milltown and Ferry Point. I don't think I ever said that there were more than 3?? Of course, all three of them are always open whereas at Woodstock-Houlton (Check it out right now.) they have lots of lanes with only one open quite often and have been reporting small delays daily whereas we have not.

If the poster was traveling in the summer, I might say go for Woodstock/Houlton as it does get lined up here at that time of year. I think more people come this way then to take advantage of the Chocolate Museum, the tourist destination of St. Andrews, and the beautiful scenery. However, the poster was talking about the winter. That makes a huge difference.

I'm not sure why you are saying that Route 9 is treacherous. We aren't talking about a back road here. It is an actual highway that is well maintained. Sure, it's not a divided highway but it's very good road. You have already said that you haven't been on this road in the winter so what are you going by? Because that hasn't been my experience at all and we go to Bangor all the time. Like I said, with the exception of last winter, we get little in the way of snow in Charlotte and Washington counties. And this winter is predicted to be even milder than usual around here. Also, there are just as many truck lanes to pass as any other two lane highway around. However, that's not a huge issue because, as I have stated, you basically have the road to yourself.

I'm not sure why you are saying that Route 9 is treacherous. We aren't talking about a back road here. It is an actual highway that is well maintained. Sure, it's not a divided highway but it's very good road. You have already said that you haven't been on this road in the winter so what are you going by? Because that hasn't been my experience at all and we go to Bangor all the time. Like I said, with the exception of last winter, we get little in the way of snow in Charlotte and Washington counties. And this winter is predicted to be even milder than usual around here. Also, there are just as many truck lanes to pass as any other two lane highway around. However, that's not a huge issue because, as I have stated, you basically have the road to yourself.

A divided highway is always safer than a two lane highway. My opinion is based on others who have travelled it (including people from St Stephen) in the winter. Yes there are passing lanes but you can go for miles without finding one, especially in the middle section.

All I'm trying to do is provide a different view point so that people can make their own decision. There is no need to get defensive; I'm not saying you are wrong.

A divided highway is always safer than a two lane highway. My opinion is based on others who have travelled it (including people from St Stephen) in the winter. Yes there are passing lanes but you can go for miles without finding one, especially in the middle section.

All I'm trying to do is provide a different view point so that people can make their own decision. There is no need to get defensive; I'm not saying you are wrong.

I have prefaced everything I said by saying it's a matter of opinion and both ways are absolutely fine. The PP asked for more detailed information and that's what I gave. It seems like you've tried to contradict everything I said point for point without ever having driving that route in the winter time yourself.

I'm done. PPs, if you want more info about the road from St. Stephen to Bangor, ask Declansdad. He knows someone who knows someone who's travelled it. :goodvibes

I have prefaced everything I said by saying it's a matter of opinion and both ways are absolutely fine. The PP asked for more detailed information and that's what I gave. It seems like you've tried to contradict everything I said point for point without ever having driving that route in the winter time yourself.

I'm done. PPs, if you want more info about the road from St. Stephen to Bangor, ask Declansdad. He knows someone who knows someone who's travelled it. :goodvibes

You really need to stop taking things so personal. I was simply offering a different opinion.

Ok, folks, time out.

Thanks for all the wonderful opinions. I don't think anything was meant maliciously, but sometimes just written words can come off a little more harsh than intended.

Now kiss and make-up.... I said so!;)

Ok, folks, time out.

Thanks for all the wonderful opinions. I don't think anything was meant maliciously, but sometimes just written words can come off a little more harsh than intended.

Now kiss and make-up.... I said so!;)

Sounds good to me.

Well we were thinking that we would have to drive to Bangor or Portland with the high airfare, but with the Westjet seat sales, we decided to just fly from Halifax. We were able to get it for $500/person ($2000 for all of us). If we had driven and flown out of Portland at the prices I checked last year (about $280/person return) and with gas and hotels, we found that it wasn't worth the long drive to save $400.

But it's nice to know that driving there is an option in case we are not able to get a good seat sale. However, the only thing I don't like about going through TO is having to do the customs there. I wish Westjet would offer direct flights from Halifax in the summer.

We were thinking of flying from Portland as well. Air Canada is about $500 per person from Halifax with the seat sale. We are also thinking about booking from Halifax to save on driving. Is this a good price?

We were thinking of flying from Portland as well. Air Canada is about $500 per person from Halifax with the seat sale. We are also thinking about booking from Halifax to save on driving. Is this a good price?

I'd say yes it was a good price. I can recall paying $2700 for 4 from Moncton in August 2007

:confused3

I think the economy is so volatile at this point that you should book only if you are happy with the price. I, personally, think that this is a good price, but I can be wrong. We just booked our March 09 trip and paid about $750/person return, so in August, a flight that's $500/person for us is fine. Not great, but fine. I have been checking for a month now, and they have always been around $750-$850. So when I saw the seat sale, we decided that it was worth not driving. Now, I'm not sure if they will continue to go down or not. But I have checked the flights for my March trip a few times, (thinking that it will go down eventually), but it has gone up instead. I think it's very difficult to predict at this point since our economy is up in the air.

I will say this, last August, the lowest price we paid for our flight from Halifax was $650/person return and that was before all the economic problems.

I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are with the current fares. Others have often said that if you can live with it, then book.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter