Athletics track

MichelinMan

I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!
My son is a keen athlete, and will want to do some training whilst we are on holiday in Orlando.

Does anybody know whether there are any athletics tracks that are available for public use whilst we are there that we might be able to use? I know the ESPN complex has a track, but not sure if it is available for the general public (I have just emailed them).

My son is a keen athlete, and will want to do some training whilst we are on holiday in Orlando.

Does anybody know whether there are any athletics tracks that are available for public use whilst we are there that we might be able to use? I know the ESPN complex has a track, but not sure if it is available for the general public (I have just emailed them).
There are designated jogging and running trails throughout WDW:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/jogging/

ESPN WWOS is only open for events and isn’t available as an exercise facility.

There are designated jogging and running trails throughout WDW:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/jogging/

ESPN WWOS is only open for events and isn’t available as an exercise facility.
Thanks Hiro, but I already know about the jogging routes. We will be doing some jogging as well whilst we are out in Orlando - probably around the Saratoga Springs resort as we are likely to be staying nearby at the Holiday Inn Disney Springs. We might even do a Parkrun whilst there as well, although not sure about the 7.30 start (we start ours at 9.30 in Scotland!). Surprised Disney hasn't picked up on the Parkrun craze yet, and started a Parkrun on property somewhere.

But my son is a 400/800m runner, so he also needs a track to do some faster speed sessions using spikes. Our local track has a facility where anybody can use it, so looking for something similar in the Orlando area. If all else fails, he will just need to do some speed sessions on the best bit of path he can find in flats, but won't be ideal. As we are coming from the UK for almost 3 weeks, he can't really miss 3 weeks of training (he moaned like mad when his times suffered last year when he didn't train whilst on holiday, so don't want a repeat of last year!).

Most high schools have implemented security measures for their grounds including gated and locked perimeters. You may want to google high schools in Windermere, Winter Garden, Celebration, and Kissimmee to see what may be close to WDW property and have open access but if summer school is in session, non-students won’t have access to the property.

Also post on the RunDisney board to see if any locals have more info for you. :)

My kids were XC/Track runners and my DS is a coach now. I agree with hiro, schools will likely all be off limits, with the security issues we have here especially, and increasing costs of liability. My DS locks his track/stadium at all times when not in use. No public use is ever allowed and security/police will be called.

If you will have a car I would contact ... but it is a 50 minute drive.
http://www.usantc.com/pure-athletics/

You could also contact this group and they might be able to help you.
http://www.trackshack.com/

My kids were XC/Track runners and my DS is a coach now. I agree with hiro, schools will likely all be off limits, with the security issues we have here especially, and increasing costs of liability. My DS locks his track/stadium at all times when not in use. No public use is ever allowed and security/police will be called.

If you will have a car I would contact ... but it is a 50 minute drive.
http://www.usantc.com/pure-athletics/

You could also contact this group and they might be able to help you.
http://www.trackshack.com/
Thanks HopperFan.

We will have a car, and were thinking of doing the Parkrun at Clermont one of the days we were there, and the NTC venue looks like fairly close to that. It is maybe a little bit out of the way to go many times, but for this trip we were looking to escape the Disney/Universal/SeaWorld bubble a few days here and there, so this might just help. And even better, there is a Sonny BBQ place just around the corner (one of my favourites!).

I will get in touch with them.

He sounds like a serious runner.
I would contact one of the local High Schools and ask to speak to the track coach.
He or she should be able to give advice.
Many coaches would love to expose their kids to a visiting athlete.
At the very least they may be able to point you to a public track that he could use.

He sounds like a serious runner.
I would contact one of the local High Schools and ask to speak to the track coach.
He or she should be able to give advice.
Many coaches would love to expose their kids to a visiting athlete.
At the very least they may be able to point you to a public track that he could use.

My DS is a high school track coach. He can't even let his own athletes run on the track (1) without a physical complete and filed (2) without a county permission slip and verification they are a student (3) without him on the track with them.

I still think the best bet is contact one of the two groups I posted about as one is a "private track" that can make the offer and the other is a business very involved who would know tracks open to others.

I would check with the local high schools to be sure. While @HopperFan 's area locks most of the tracks, the area where I live has high school tracks open to the public, I run pretty regularly on two of them nearby and the only rules on both of them is no dogs or bikes and no access after sundown or during events. So it seems that it might be a school by school sort of thing. Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter