At What Age Do You Not Replace a Dog?

My daughter and her 3 Aussies live with us. We have a big fenced in yard. Honestly not sure what will happen if she moves out. DH 64 is looking forward to them leaving. We both like the idea of being able to travel without the commitment of a dog. Sadly there is always the possibility that she might have to leave one behind. In which case the question would be answered for us.

I think another full sized herding dog would be too much at our age. I realize they are not the same but have considered a mini Aussie. I figure at least it would be easier to control. Another option would be for you to get a non herding dog that would be easier to control.

My parents are in their early 70s and just had to put down our 17 year old dog in February. They're saying no more dogs now, but I think they might crack. As of now, they see my two dogs almost every day so that fills some of the void, but I know their house feels empty. I could see them getting a smaller (like 30lbs or under), non-puppy at some point in the future. My sister and I would be able to help or take the dog in if needed.

I think it's perfectly fine to continue to have pets as we age, as long as there is someone who will take care of them when you pass.
I am 77 years old and have three older dogs. I will have a dog until the day I die. My daughter will take care of whatever pets I have when I am gone.

I personally think adopting senior dogs as long as you want to is the way to go. It significantly decreases the chance you pass away before the dog does. Plus they're already housebroken and lower energy.

I lost my beloved Corgi over 2 years ago, we had corgis for over 30 years, first getting adults thst needed homes and then getting puppies. He was sick and feeble for a few months and I nursed him like a baby. The grief was overwhelming. I still cry when I think of him. A few months after we lost him we rescued two kittens. We have had cats before and do love them, I’ve decided not to get another dog. I don’t miss the walking in the rain and snow. Or the cost of boarding when needed. I do love the companionship of an animal and the cats fulfill that need.

My parents (in their 80s) have a dog. They lost a dog to cancer several years ago and decided to replace her. Before they adopted her, my sister agreed to take the dog if mom and dad can’t take care of her anymore. She was involved in helping pick out the dog (getting along with my sister’s dog was a must, etc.)

They got her from a rescue and she was an adult dog (though not a “senior” dog). They explain the plan to the rescue and the rescue was in favor (vetted both my parents and my sister as adopters and I think they both signed the adoption agreement.) The rescue said they thought it was a great plan and they would have been reluctant to adopt to someone their ages without a co-signer. So far it is all working out. My sister watches their dog if the need pet sitting and my parents watch hers.

I personally think adopting senior dogs as long as you want to is the way to go. It significantly decreases the chance you pass away before the dog does. Plus they're already housebroken and lower energy.
Senior dogs can have a lot of health or mobility problems that can be difficult to deal with for older people, though. Our last two family dogs lived to 16 and 17 and the last few years they had a lot of accidents, needed help standing and walking often, and were up often in the night. It was a lot of stress and physical work.

Senior dogs can have a lot of health or mobility problems that can be difficult to deal with for older people, though. Our last two family dogs lived to 16 and 17 and the last few years they had a lot of accidents, needed help standing and walking often, and were up often in the night. It was a lot of stress and physical work.
That's true, it depends on what you're comfortable doing too.

I take care of dogs for a living, and I currently have clients (an older couple...75 and 79 with multiple health issues), who are trying to adopt a third dog (Shih Tzu) and are having a difficult time getting a rescue group to place a dog with them. They have two shih tzus now and take good care of them. The oldest is undergoing chemo for lymphoma and I know they are anticipating his loss...and would like their other dog to have a companion. But...I also know that their only child does not want any dogs that they may leave behind. And if one of them goes, the other will have tough time caring for two or three dogs alone. So I hope they continue to hit road blocks and just settle with the dogs that they have. So I think family opinion plays a big role, especially if a family member may be responsible for taking on the dog...or finding a home in the event that you pass or become incapacitated.

I've also seen older people get puppies and they'll go with the breed that they love...like a golden for example. And the dog is just too big for them...etc. My next door neighbor adopted a dog over a decade ago that has worked out fine, but he's a big dog, which is what she prefers. She's now in her 70s and talks about adopting when he passes and would prefer another big dog. If asked, I would strongly encourage her to go with a smaller rescue if she could even qualify for one. I may even butt in on that decision, if it happens, as I know her really well. I'd worry about her getting hurt, pulled down at this point.

As for DH and me...we currently have 3 dogs, two within 2-3 years of the end of the life. From that point on, we'll have just one small dog that we can travel with. And in our 70s, depending on health, we'd make sure the dog had a home if we passed or became unable to care for the dog. We're 55 and 56 now...and our youngest schnauzer will take us into our early 60s. It's hard for me to imagine not having a dog, but we also might enjoy the complete freedom of travel without a dog for awhile. We can volunteer for various dog rescue groups as we travel to fill that need.

My parents are in their early seventies and just last year got a new dog when their previous one died. They adopted an older dog, because he’s more their speed then a hyper puppy, because most people don’t want the older ones so they wanted to give one a nice home, and because they don’t have to worry as much about him outliving them. And he gets to be treated like a prince for the remainder of his life, which he deserves because he’s had a tough one. And he gives them so much joy, I think their quality of life would be much lower without him.

My parents, who are in their 70s, had to put their 12+ yr old golden down a few years ago. As much as they love the breed, they feels it's too much at their ages. Initially, they discussed getting a new dog...a smaller breed like a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. As the months go on, I think they enjoy the freedom and flexibility to travel without the need for a pet sitter. It's also one less set of bills...from food, vet, etc.

My husband misses having a dog and every once in a while brings up getting another one. I remind hi of the conversation we had when I had a small bout of "baby fever" and suggested adopting another human. He reminded me that we were so close to freedom and independence why would we want to start over. So, now, when he brings it up, I remind him that we can jump on a plane a fly somewhere for a few days without any preparation other than leaving large water and food bowls for the cats.

I have always had cats and can't imagine my life without one or two but even I have to admit that they will hamper our ability to be snow birds in a couple of years. So, maybe these are my last cats.... unless I outlive DH, then I'm getting 20 cats because there will be no one around to stop me.

I agree with the idea of helping with a local shelter. It would allow you to love and enjoy the companionship while still having options if needed. The shelters need this type of help and support and I promise you will always have options there.

I don't think it's as much a strict age decision but a health decision PLUS a future forward thinking decision about the expected life span and overall health of the new pet. The focus shouldn't necessarily be just on your own age but the pet as well.

My mother-in-law just *had* to adopt another cat (I think they have 7 now plus a dog) last year saying it was her last cat but that cat was a kitten and with an assumed life expectancy of longer than she realistically will be able to care for. And now my step-father-in-law who is the one primarily doing the cat litter (though mother-in-law has started to do more) has serious health issues starting to occur. My mother-in-law already had some health issues that have been ongoing in terms of her mental capacity and physical health in some ways so it was different than starting off with a very good health both physical and mental and just looking at what someone's age is.

The thought the in-laws don't actually want to think about however is that none of us can take on those cats if something were to happen. We all have reasons why we could not take on those cats...so what happens to those pets (cats and the dog)? That would be left on our shoulders. We did tell them this when we had a family meeting in December to discuss other things. Personally I still don't think that stuck and with my step-father-in-law currently in the hospital due to a stroke that was not attended to the day it occurred after celebrating his 71st birthday a few weeks back it really is a situation that has to be given consideration.

To speak towards the type of pet on average cats live longer than dogs though not always. However, the concern about the life expectancy of a dog would be part of the overall conversation of just when to stop getting one.

To speak towards the type of dogs--
I grew up around old english sheepdogs and walking was always a fun adventure lol. They were relatively high energy dogs who needed that good exercise and active play. They lived beyond the expected life expectancy of the breed. I think the picture the OP put was a border collie which from what I can find is about 12-15 years.

One thing I can think of that may ease the feelings of that companionship is looking to see if your local shelters could use some volunteering. Fostering is an idea as well but keeping in mind that "foster fail" part to it.

First, thank you for thinking this through, you are such a responsible dog owner.

Others have suggested this but I will also recommend becoming a foster family. This is a excellent way to “test the waters” with a second dog and you are only committing to that dog until it is adopted-either by you or another family!

We have personally been a foster family for 7 years with over 40 dogs through our home. We have adopted 2 of our fosters. Rescue is in a crisis right now-too many dogs, not enough kennels and not enough foster homes. When you foster you save 2 lives-the life of your foster and the life of another dog who can occupy that kennel.

I've also seen older people get puppies and they'll go with the breed that they love...like a golden for example. And the dog is just too big for them...etc.
That was my mother-in-law who said "I just love golden retrievers oh they are so cute I've always wanted to have one!" Then she adopted one 2 years ago and within a few months rehomed him....because he was too big, because he was just too much for them to handle.

Such a personal decision. I am 72,DH is 74. 4 years ago we adopted 2 rescues (bonded paid) At the time I was working full time, DH retired. Didn't know the business I was working for was being sold and I was without a job. Had I known that I never would have taken on more dogs with both of us being retired.

I have them now, love them and we have arranged in our will how they will be taken care of. The place where I adopted them from will take them back and rehome if needed.

I think it's all up to you, but if you do get a dog, be sure you have contingency plans. Also, be aware that your ability to handle larger or energetic dogs could fade. That happened to my dad, who is 84. He has a boistrous golden lab that he can't handle and can no longer walk. A neighbor walks the dog, but not often enough, and none of my sibling group are really set up to handle a large dog if my dad passes first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter