• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At BWV do you use kitchen or eat out?

A1A1

DIS Veteran
When DVCers stay at BWV, do you use the kitchen or eat out? How much of each, and if you eat out, where do you eat? I've always had trouble finding a fast dining option at BWV. It is frustrating to have to have big meals, expensive meals, long meals every time you want to eat at BWV. I do not like the pizza at Spoodles window. What else is there for a fast sandwich or salad? Why the heck didn't they put a fast food place there or a little diner-type restaurant?

Anyone else frustrated by eating at BWV?

No I do not use the kitchen at BWV except for the frige and the coffee pot. I'm on vacation and I do not want to cook. I cook all year at home. I don't have a problem with the Boardwalk and my options to eat. You can get a sandwich at the bakery or Beaches & Cream. I really think a fast food restaurant would spoil the atmosphere. You might want to think about a stop at one of the grocery stores to stock on things you would like and then you wouldn't have the problem about where to eat.:wave: :wave:

hi:i agree about the spoodles pizza. i think we've only used that white stove decoration once-my dil wanted a cup of tea. otherwise we would stop at publix or our new favorite, albertson's, and pick up some goodies. we usually buy fruit, some lunchmeat, peanut butter and jelly, bread, breakfast goodies, snacks,and drinks. it comes to between $75 and $100 for the week's worth of food. remember our youngest is still a teen and at the hollow stage. one other thing to note that we've never done yet is that the room service option is there as well. it was just noted (i think in the latest vm) that the room service here is outstanding.

Maybe I've been missing something. I've never been in the bakery. Where is beaches and cream?

We went this past summer and did both. We would normally eat breakfast and lunch in the room and dine out at night at one of the nice on property restaurants. We did do the character breakfast at Chef Mickey's one morning. We stopped at the publix on the way in and stocked up with about $125 of groceries, which basically lasted for our entire stay. It is definetly less expensive going this route that eating all three meals each day on property.

Brian, Melissa & Morgan

We mostly eat out, but do use the kitchen some. Even if you just buy some essentials from the store on the Boardwalk, you can save quite a bit of $$ from eating all meals out. We have stopped at the supermarket before check-in, but find it more convenient to shop on the boardwalk if its just for a few things. We bring some basics from home - things like a small plastic jar of pnut butter, maple syrup, micro popcorn, maybe a box of pasta or packaged pancake mix, Kraft mac - things that need only minimal work in the kitchen and can travel easily! We'll cook simple - a loaf of bread, doz. eggs, milk and a stick of butter go a long way - either plain toast & eggs, or french toast. We usually do this on a day we aren't going into parks or are going late. Pnut butter & jelly sandwiches are quick & easy. One of our easiest suppers is just a box of pasta & can of tomato sauce from home - and we buy fresh rolls at Boardwalk bakery. We always keep juice and water in the fridge.

We use the kitchen primarily for breakfast which is usually a bowl of cereal for the kids and toast or something light for DW and I. We hav ealso used it for a dinner or two usually with groceries picked up at Publix or Albertson's. Beaches and Cream is at the Yacht and Beach Club and does have sandwiches - we like the bakery for a quick breakfast in the mornings as well. Highly recommend the grocery stop for the bare essentials - snacks, milk, etc.

I don't believe my wife has ever cooked on any vacation. Takes the fun away. Although she isn't too happy about doing laundry, but she's kind of getting used to it. Makes the luggage lighter for long trips. Also leaves more room to pack souveniers :)

We make at least 1 grocery run to Publix or Albertsons. Traveling with teenagers we always stock up on snacks: fruit, chips, ice cream, popcorn. Things the kids can fix themselves: pizza, hot pockets. I also get items to make a good solid breakfast before we head out in the mornings - I make eggs, sausage, toast and serve with plenty of fruit. A good hearty breakfast keeps us going until a late lunch/dinner combo.

I also lay in a supply of sub rolls and deli turkey, ham, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. I make substantial sub sandwiches , wrap them tightly and store them in the fridge. On days we don't have dinner ressies, these are great. They are also great if the teens are hungry and need to grab something quick - much better than junk food.

The fridge is also GREAT for keeping leftovers when we do eat out. I don't feel near as bad about wasting food (WDW serves LARGE portions) and there's almost always enough left over for a full meal the 2nd day.

Beaches and Cream has great burgers and stuff. Swan and Dolphin also have many dining varieties for you to choose from, you should check them out. Many of the restaurants at Swan and Dolphin offer DVCers discounts. We have also found that you can get take out at ESPN and Big River Grille,( the prices are reasonable, and we have found the service to be fast.)

We ate breakfast in the room everyday and I made dinner once. I would definitely buy more sandwich stuff the next time. The sub idea sounded great!!

There are kitchens at BWV? :D

I think if we wanted to cook we would stay home.

Great grocery ideas, thanks! Does anyone miss having a "quickstop" restaurant at BWV like those available at every other resort? I'm not much for cooking either on vacation, but feel I'm forced into it, because there aren't many good, cheap 'n fast options at BWV. It's always a trek just to get to the elevator, so you better not be too hungry. A meal might be twenty minutes walk away!

Thanks for all the input. I have some good ideas for when we go next to BWV.

We used the cart on the boardwalk a few times for a quick bite. Their sausage & pepper subs are great! All of the "fixins" were right there and they offer french fries and onion rings. I HIGHLY recommend the onion rings!! We boiled some hotdogs one nite and I send DH to the cart for the fries and rings. they were so good, and the price was reasonable. I too wish they had a "counter service" at the BWV's. I say this every time we go, but haven't done it yet....throw a roast or ham in the oven and set the oven timer. I admit, I get sick of eating out after a while and look forward to the "luxurious" surroundings of my Home and relaxing my tootsies :D for a while.

Just returned from 10 days at the BWV and did a lot of in room cooking/eating. For 10 days we spent $400 on food for four people, that averages $40 a day for all of us. We did eat 3 large meals out (lunches which are cheaper then dinner) and ate at the fast food stops in Epcot about 4 times. To be honest, we have spent over 25 days in WDW in the past 9 months (yes terribe I know :D :D and we really enjoyed just coming back and sitting at the table to eat this time, the $$$ saved were a real eye opener too)

We really enjoyed eating in our "home". I'm posting my grocery list to give you an idea what we ate.

5 dozen eggs - Actually they were not large ones and you really need to make about 4 per person if you were scrambling them for it to be a normal portion. We did eat a lot of eggs in the morning which is something we never do at our regular home, but if we had eaten a full breakfast out we would probably have eaten the same amount of eggs over the course of the 10 days. FYI the eggs were $1.08 for 18 eggs. So the total cost for eggs were in the $4.00 range. Granted they didn't come with characters, but I also didn't have a $60.00 breakfast bill every day either.
4 - large loaves of white bread
2 -six pack packages of English muffins
1 - 8 piece package of waffles
8 - 2 liter bottles of soda
5 gallons of water (price was 57 cents per gallon -- not $2.50 per small bottle in the parks)
4 64oz bottles of gator ade
8 sprout bottles of gator ade
2 gallons of milk (about a half of the last gallon was not used)
2 1/2 lbs of chuck chop (made about 7 nice size hamburgers)
1 lb of Turkey
1 lb of Ham
1 lb of Salami
1 lb of hot pepper cheese
1/2 lb of American cheese
1 - 8 pack of hamburger roles
1 onion (about half was left)
3 frozen pizza
1 - 20 oz box of Frosted Flakes
2 gallons of OJ
1 lb. of butter
12 Milky Way Bars (we froze them and ate them frozen)
2 gallons of ice cream
2 containers of Ready Whip Cream
1 bottle of chocolate syrup
1 bottle of ketchup (about half was left)
2 - 1 lb bags of potato chips
2 pkgs of pop corn (I did bring 4 pkgs home that were left from box)
6 plums
3 peaches
3 bananas
2 lb package of twizzlers
1 very large bottle of All Laundry detergent. About half was left, that I left a note for housekeeping to take for their own use. It was so cheap, only $3.99 that I didn't care what was left. I did about 15 loads of wash, including doing the towels that I felt I got my money's worth out of the bottle. Also for the record I came home with all clean clothes. I did laundry every night as we took off what we wore that day. It worked out great.

We spent about $150 in groceries for the 10 days. We did our food shopping in Walmart by marker 16.

We ALWAYS use the kitchen at BW... we always have breakfast in the room & we usually have dinner in the room as well... we have lunch in the parks....

I think DH & I have eaten at nearly every Disney restaurant, and it really isn't the same when you have two young children... It's more work to eat out with them than to eat in... so we generally prepare our own meals, with the exception of lunch....

When the children are older, and perhaps when DH & I go alone we'll eat more dinners out... But for now we are really happy to have the option to cook some of our own meals... Plus we adore the BW anyways, and we love sitting out on the balcony while eating!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter