Article says Reality TV on life support, do you watch, did you watch, what changed?

I watched survivor at the beginning. I found it unique and interesting and still have fond memories of some of the members of that first season. But it quickly became formulaic and I lost interest after only a few seasons.

One of my children loved cooking competition and restaurant rehab shows, so I did see way more of them than I might otherwise have.

I can’t think of any tv shows that I currently regularly watch, which of course includes any reality shows.

I watch the Amazing Race, Top Chef and Dancing With The Stars religiously. I used to watch Survivor but then Reality Steve ruined it for me and I felt foolish talking to friends that enjoyed knowing who won before the show aired. The same thing happened with the Bachelor franchise. Plus, the women were often just out of their teens and that annoyed me. I’ve recently watched Deal or No Deal Island which was amusing. I also liked The Traitors which had an interesting twist. When I don’t have anything else to watch, I tune into random “Love it or List it” and “Lottery Dreamhomes” to pass the time.

I used to watch Project Runway, Top Chef and Dancing With The Stars all the time. Then Heidi Klum & Tim Gunn and Michael Kors left Project Runway and I was no longer interested in watching the new cast. Christian Siriano just doesn't cut it for me as the mentor replacement for Tim Gunn.

I watched Top Chef up until a few seasons ago. They always had a villain on the show just to hog the camera time during episodes. That became annoying to watch, but I hung through it.

Then I watched The Great British Baking Show in which they cast truly amateur folk around the U.K. as contestants. I love, Love, LOVE that show. ❤️ The ONLY drama is in watching if their baking projects make it to the end of the episode. And once we find a few contestants we want to root for, if they will make it to the end of the competition. NO phony, behind the scenes scripted stuff, (from what we can tell.) Just a pure competition show on the love of baking and creativity. THOSE two are the stars. 🥰 Not stupid, overly dramatic created drama. The competition alone is exciting. No need to add phony stuff in. This show expects the viewers to have some intelligence.

That's when I pretty much stopped watching Top Chef. And a few seasons before that, The Bachelor/ette, with all their phony scripted stuff.

Top Chef did learn a little from The Great British Baking Show and stopped having a villain for drama, but it doesn't quite have the home-spun appeal that the British show has. I've watched another British reality competition series, and I prefer them much more.

Dancing With The Stars is left, but they always cast one ringer on the show, who from episode 1, you know will be in the Finals.

We watch quite a bit - always have since it started and probably always will. We've never missed an episode of Amazing Race and Top Chef (both the original and Canadian versions) and the Great British Baking Show and the Canadian versions, as well as other cooking competition shows more casually. I also casually watch all the Below Deck versions and DH loves Oak Island and anything to do with Alaska, gold mining, or gold mining in Alaska.

--->
I watch a lot but stopped a lot too.

Stopped watching all music one’s Voice and Idol

Stopped anything Gordon Ramsey

Stopped All the 90 day shows same over and over.

Stopped Bachelor series years ago

I recorded Surivor but ff through most, same as Amazing Race last season.

No House wife’s or Jersey Show but did watch Teen Mom up to a few seasons ago.

I think I’m giving up on Married at First Sight after last 2 season .

I guess I just watch Top chef ….Canadian and Us , like HGTV shows. Baking competitions on the Food network. Do love project runway and it watch Tara Banks model one.

I watch the Circle and Love is Blind on Netflix

I saw and read that article. My $0.02 is that YouTube has decimated Hollywood's version of "reality." Real people making their own movies and clips is way better than anything Hollywood can come up with. I mean, Hollywood has always been a fantasy land, filled with con artists, grifters, and swindlers - nothing like the real world.

YouTube is where all the eyeballs have gone.
Blah.

I have no desire to watch Jane or Joe nobody who think they can dance, act or are funny.
Never watch that stuff.

I have seen my share... we still watch The Voice and AGT.

In the past I can remember watching:

(Moved and gave up satellite TV for a couple years, just never got back in the habit of watching)
  • Pawn Stars
  • Hardcore Pawn
  • American Pickers

Jersey Shore... the "original" run was entertaining, but I never started watching any of the spinoffs or continuations. In retrospect, I question why I found the original entertaining.

Real World on MTV... I saw a couple seasons of that. I just remember the characters were getting pretty annoying.

Survivor the first season... one season was enough for me.

Dancing with the Stars- I still watch and probably always will even though it’s rigged. I love love the performances so much.

Great British Bake Off- Love everything about it.

Love is Blind- a train wreck that I can’t look away from.

Far too many on YouTube post content thinking they are going to get rich by having LOTS of followers and money will just fall from the sky from companies looking for a place to spend their ad dollars. ZERO interest in phony/contrived/artificial content.

I used to watch Survivor, sister wives and 19 kids and counting, all years ago. No interest in reality shows anymore, not sure why. Mostly we stream scifi or murder mystery type shows now, with the occasional comedy thrown in.

New DISboards Posts

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest