Arizona/Utah ABD Pre & Post Adventure Questions

thyunker

Earning My Ears
My DH, kids (15 and 6), and I will be on this adventure next year. Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay at the night before departure? Also, we live in the Eastern part of the US and wonder if we should extend our trip after the adventure ends, but we aren't sure what or where makes the most sense after the adventure. Many thanks for any advice!

My DH, kids (15 and 6), and I will be on this adventure next year. Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay at the night before departure? Also, we live in the Eastern part of the US and wonder if we should extend our trip after the adventure ends, but we aren't sure what or where makes the most sense after the adventure. Many thanks for any advice!
We did this trip in 2016. We flew in a few days before the ABD. Had a rental car and spent one night at the Hampton Inn near the airport. Drove to Tombstone (per my husband's request), spent two nights there, and then headed back to the Hampton Inn for one night so we could also do laundry and be on time for the group meet.

For a pre-stay, Scottsdale is a nice area in the Phoenix metro. I used to travel there for work, and we stayed at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Scottsdale Resort. I'd recommend it, there's a nice pool and good breakfast and happy hour.

For a post-stay, you're close to Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. You could also drive all the way to Aspen.

Gosh - so many options for post-days. An amazing part of the country, with lots of nature to see.

Get a car in Moab, and drive west to the other three of the Utah big 5, and fly home from Vegas.

Or go east - Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Telluride, Durango, Great Sand Dunes, and back up to Denver.

Or Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, and down to Taos and Santa Fe.

Or Grand Junction to Denver, stopping to check out the ski resorts in summer time on the way, with side trip up to Rocky Mountain NP.

We stayed at the Canyon Suites at the Phoenician for a few nights pre-ABD - it's a beautiful resort with lovely pools and good food and it's very close to the airport so easy to get back to meet the ABD group on departure day.

I wish we had scheduled something post-trip. If I did it over again, I would head west as PP mentioned and see more of the UT national parks (Bryce, Zion) and then fly out of Vegas. Honestly, everything Donalyn recommended sounds amazing.

If you have the time, I second driving back through Utah and flying out of Vegas. You could even pick up a rental car in Moab and save the drive over to Grand Junction. Bryce Canyon and Zion are two of the best natural sites I've ever been to.

My family loves the JW Marriott Desert Ridge. If you rent a car there's plenty to drive and see. The Desert Botanical Garden, Musical Instrument museum, hiking...plenty to occupy a few days! The JW also has fantastic pools so no need to even leave the hotel! If you use Interval International, the Marriott Vacation Club across the street is usually pretty easy to trade into.

If you have the time, I second driving back through Utah and flying out of Vegas. You could even pick up a rental car in Moab and save the drive over to Grand Junction. Bryce Canyon and Zion are two of the best natural sites I've ever been to.
I totally second your statement on Bryce Canyon and Zion. In Bryce, take the horseback/mule ride through the Hoodoos. It was otherworldly. We stayed in the park, and some of the facilities were still not cleared from the snow. Bryce was the highlight of that trip.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest