Are you being forced to work because your state is still not under a stay at home order?

It is interesting with some people. When they were negotiating pay raises before coronavirus they would argue they are essential employees and deserved a raise. With coronavirus, they say they are no longer essential and should not have to come to work.
I work in what is considered an essential industry. If someone at work gets the virus, everyone currently working will be on 14 day quarantine and our building will be sealed. As of 11:30 am Friday, I was banned from the building. We have Wedding reception tents set up in the back parking lot, with portable bathrooms and sanitzing stations as a backup. So I am in the backup wave of employees who would only have to come in if someone currently working gets sick
My industry is nowhere as dangerous as First Responders, but the reality is, we are routinely exposed to hazards, just comes with the job. (Think fires, and violent crimes and explosions)

All of our local banks have closed their lobbies. Drive through only. If you need to do something that can't be done through the drive-thru you have to call for an appointment.

I work in the legal field and we're considered essential so our office is still open. Everyone is encouraged to work remotely. There's a skeleton staff working in the office that are very spread out. If you can't do your job remotely and want to stay out, you can, however you have to use PTO if you want to get paid.

Me and my wife are both self employed. I own a car audio/accessory/window tint shop and we have to get in customers cars daily. I have made it where customers are to drop off their vehicle, we Lysol everything and wipe down the door handles and steering wheels with Clorox wipes. I have to maintain income but gave my employees the option to stay home. My wife has a boutique and her main income is paint parties. She has closed. No need to have groups of 15+ people sitting around painting and potentially infecting others.
Thank you for giving your employees the option!

I work for an essential government service. I am still working. Some positions have been cut to half time, mine hasn't been. Every day last week saw changes to policy & procedures, so I am expecting more changes next week. At some point I am hoping I am told I can stay home. I am trying my best to limit my exposure but it doesn't help if I have to go to work and be in contact with others that may or may not being as diligent.

Up until Friday, our office was open and everyone was in the office. However, we were told that if at anytime we were uncomfortable working in the office, we could work from home. NJ just went into a stay at home yesterday, with a long list of business/industries that were exempt. There was a fine line in there and interpreting what it meant, so the office is open but we all have decided to work from home. However, if something is needed in the office, it is open to run in and do what needs to be done. So, starting to work from home tomorrow. It will be interesting but we are all positive that it will work out.

I'd be working either way. Daycare is deemed an "essential service".
I’m really surprised. All the daycares in my city are closed for 3 weeks and I have a feeling it will go longer.
The city is in process of allowing 6 childcares to open that will be 24/7 and you can only put your child if you work in an essential service occupation. They are still working on the details.

And to answer OP’s question, DS works in the seasonal department at Lowe’s. He is forced work helping customers buy patio furniture and lawn mowers☹️

I’m really surprised. All the daycares in my city are closed for 3 weeks
But all those in essential businesses who have children need day care. There are guidelines that have been put in place locally for child care centers.

Nannys & one-off babysitters are not included in this.

I build giant industrial sculptures (think like hospital waiting rooms and the like...) and I've had all my current projects cancelled. And they want their deposits back.

I also build custom mobility and prosthetic tech. I've got three jobs there ready to cash out but can't finish them because it requires face to face work and clients are compromised.

I'm feeling useless. Like the fifth tooth at a willie nelson concert.

Thank you for giving your employees the option!
No need to thank me. My manager has a base pay plus commission so he has the option to still get his base pay and stay home. My other employee is hourly so I gave him the option of ⅓ of his weekly pay and he can stay home. He lives with his parents (20 years old) and his car is paid for. I know it's not much but I will do what I can till the city makes us close.

I’m really surprised. All the daycares in my city are closed for 3 weeks and I have a feeling it will go longer.
The city is in process of allowing 6 childcares to open that will be 24/7 and you can only put your child if you work in an essential service occupation. They are still working on the details.

And to answer OP’s question, DS works in the seasonal department at Lowe’s. He is forced work helping customers buy patio furniture and lawn mowers☹

Every state is doing things differently. We have a number of families that are working from home but can't concentrate on their work and keep their children occupied/safe/out of harm's way at the same time. That said, there is talk of consolidating our center with another nearby. Supposedly, it's to lessen the chance of spread but I would think more kids in the same area would do the opposite.

Yes and I'm taking my kids to work because school and daycare are closed. I work for a small business that sells and services lawn care equipment. We are considered essential because we are a vendor for several home improvement stores like Lowes and Tractor Supply. One of my coworkers is in his late sixties and has elected not to work until this blows over. I need the money.

O cc’d

What business is taking cash now days? That is far too risky as cash is a perfect way to transmit the virus.
The California Superior Court. Though since we have in effect closed public counters the amount of cash being taken in very minimal.

I take cash but as of last week I spray all bills and coins with Lysol. I then use hand sanitizer after the transaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter