Are there ever Aulani cancellations?

kkmcan

Official Mouse Fan
We booked a hotel room for March 14-18th just recently and now I'm thinking I could have saved some money by trying to rent a villa thru Davids. I know it is super late in the game to try and get rental but I thought maybe sometimes they have cancellations as it gets closer.

Should I even put in a request or just stick with what I have. It looks like I could save $400 plus parking fees for 4 days by going with a studio pool view instead of a hotel room pool view.

The studio looks a lot smaller than the hotel rooms because of the angled configuration. We've got 2 adults and 2 teens. I'm not even sure the studio would work but I can't help but think of that $400.

Personally, with two teens, stick with what you have. The studio has a queen and a queen sleeper sofa. Would your teens be more happy with the sleeper or a bed. The only availability during your time is for ocean view, so that would eat into your savings by quite a bit. I'm not sure that renters get the break on parking fees.

We booked a hotel room for March 14-18th just recently and now I'm thinking I could have saved some money by trying to rent a villa thru Davids. I know it is super late in the game to try and get rental but I thought maybe sometimes they have cancellations as it gets closer.

Should I even put in a request or just stick with what I have. It looks like I could save $400 plus parking fees for 4 days by going with a studio pool view instead of a hotel room pool view.

The studio looks a lot smaller than the hotel rooms because of the angled configuration. We've got 2 adults and 2 teens. I'm not even sure the studio would work but I can't help but think of that $400.

If the $400 saved is by pricing an OV studio, I would contact Davids. I booked an OV studio last Sept for a late Oct visit through ************** and they had availability. As a renter, as long as you're staying on DVC points, you get free self-parking...at least we did. You can cancel the hotel reservation once everything with your rental is confirmed.

If you're ok with not having a second bed, I'd try to save that $400....

OP was figuring the $400 savings with a pool view studio. That isn't available. OP, an ocean view would be 12 more points at $14 per point if you are looking at renting through David's. Only you can decide if that difference is worth a bed vs. a pull out sofa. I'm guessing it will depend on how flexible your teens are and if they will be satisfied with a pull out sofa in exchange for being in Hawaii.

As to cancellations, yes they do occur but then DVC resorts also have wait lists and you would be behind any who went on before you did. In addition to what was mentioned above about the additonal cost of Ocean View, you should also be aware that you do not get daily cleaning service with a DVC reservation. On your fourth day (March 17 in your situation, they will come in and empty trash and replenish towels and toiletries (soaps, shampoo, etc.) Moreover, the hotel room is about 382 sq ft and the studio is 356. That is a noticeable difference.

We had 2 teens in a DVC studio for one night before moving into a 1 bedroom. There is no way the 2 of them would have comfortably fit on the sleeper sofa... it's called a queen size but the one in the studios is really closer to a fullsize (note: the sleeper in the one bedroom was longer... 3 cushions across instead of just 2).

We took a blow up air mattress for that first night for our 13 year old and placed it in front of the connecting door.

It was do-able but very tight for the 4 of us. We were all glad to be moving to a 1 bedroom the next day.

Here is a picture of where we put the blow up mattress just to give you an idea:

I asked DS's if they would have been willing to do the studio for the whole week just to be at Aulani... they said yes, but that it would be really cramped.

Thanks everyone! That was exactly what I was looking for as far as advice. :thumbsup2 Having to spend more for ocean view would eat into that savings. The space was another concern. We normally travel with an inflatable air mattress but since we are flying we won't have one. I did contact Aulani and they do have them for a fee ( not certain what price it is) but our sleeping arrangements are either we get the air mattress or we sleep boys together (dad & ds) and girls together (me & dd).

The photos of the sofa in the studio do look tiny, not at all like a queen.

Also, thanks Pam for the photos of the air mattress! That's just what I was wondering- where it would fit.

I think we'll probably stick with the hotel room. Just couldn't swing the one bedroom which would have been amazing. But I feel lucky we get to go at all! Kids know that it will be cramped and we'll have to figure out the sleeping situation but they are fine with it since we are going to Hawaii after all! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter