AP Renewal Info Needed

Mom2Joce

It all started with a...
I was wondering if someone could help me out with this? We have our first AP that we got last June so they will expire of course, soon. The way I got these passes was that I purchased the 3 day hopper and then upgraded them to the AP while at the park.

My question is this, can I do this ALL over again? Can I let the AP expire and then purchase hopper passes only to upgrade them to another AP? Or once you are an AP holder the only way to continue the AP is to renew?

Any info would be appreciated :)

Ps. JUST got back from the park last weekend after a cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Had a blast and even rode the new Monster's Inc. ride. Only down side to the trip was that we waited for an hour and a half for the fireworks show only to find out that show was cancelled due to high winds. I have already seen the show twice but try to see it EVERY chance I get...it's JUST spectacular!!

I believe you can let the annual pass lapse. Since this is our first year as annual passholder too, I'm assuming this is so. We've held several annual passes locally (children's msueum, local zoo, science center) and have never had a problem when we don't do automatic renewal. When we repurchase an annual pass, the year starts over from when we purchased it. It just doesn't make sense to me to do automatic renewal when you can get buy a parkhopper (get the benefits-early entry) and then upgrade for the same price as an AP in the first place.

If you buy the deluxe or premuim pass, there is a $20 savings if you renew before the expiration date either online or by mail. I have never bought a 3-day park hopper and changed it to an AP but I just got my renewal in the mail for March and the $20 savings was on there.

I just got my renewal in the mail for March and the $20 savings was on there

I have read around these boards that you do get a discount by renewing rather than lapsing. We're from out of state and we plan our trips about 3 to 6+months apart. Although we'll be using our upgraded aps on 2 more trips this year (APs expire in Oct), our next trip after our aps expire won't be for another 6 months (april '07)probably. In our case it doesn't make sense to have an ap we won't be using for thsoe 6 months so we'll let it lapse. If you live in state or just visit every month, I can easily see how the $20 savings by renewing makes sense.

To answer your question, yes, you can let them expire and then upgrade from hopper passes the next time. But as others stated, you miss out on a $20 renewal discount. But it the timing of your visits is too far in between, it may make more sense to let them expire. That way you are not paying for passes that you know you won't use.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate all the help :) That answers my question, I just wanted to make sure that lapsing and then upgrading a hopper again would be possible! I will take into consideration the 20 dollar savings on the renewal as well :)

Thanks for the info, that made perfect sense, I'll have to think through and see what would benefit us the most! We all want to get the most out of our dollar :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter