ANyone take their Autistic child on Pirate Cruise?

DisneyDreams4P&B

Remembering Austin....
We had to cancel our Disney Cruise for September 10, was most disappointed that DS5 (whose has HFA) would be missing out on Pirate night. We rebooked for a WDW vacation August 21. I read that the GF offers a pirate cruise. I called to see about booking my son on, but told them that one of us would have to accompany him and they told me they weren't sure about that and then gave me someone's number to call who arranges the cruises (I have yet to get a hold of her). Can they refuse us? Why wouldn't they let a parent go long if it is obvious that a child would need more assistance than a cast member would be able to provide? I am confused. Has anyone else had to deal with this, been able to go with their child?

Thank you in advance for you help...

My DS went on the Pirate Cruise when he was 7, he has Asperger's Syndrome, very highly functioning. We did inquire a few times about the possibility of accompanying him on the cruise. We were told that they would try to have him go alone, but if needed, one parent would be able to accompany him. This was in Jan 2004.

Turns out he was just fine and went alone with another older boy (maybe 9 years old or so) so we just looked around the GF and waited for him to get back. He had a really good time and even joined in the activities more than we anticipated. We got the email addy of the other boy (from his mom & dad) and the 2 of them have been email pen pals ever since. They had some common interests (YuGiOh cards and some video games) so they mostly talk about that, but it has been a great experience.

Call the number and see what they say, I also cannot see how they could refuse your request. GL! :)

We have booked a Pirate Cruise for our HFA DS8 and Aspergers DD7 but we plan to let them go on their own as we think they should cope OK. We think it will be good for them to do it without one of us to rely on. Is there anyway your DS might cope on his own? - if not good luck with trying to get through to Disney. We have always found them to be very helpful

I e-mailed WDW guest services about the same situation. I received a phone call from the GF and was told that I could go along if I felt it was necessary. I did not include my phone # in the e-amil but perhaps they found it from our previous reservation. I'm sure it won't be problem for you to go. I have decided not to since DD has come a long way in the last couple of years and I'm sure will do fine. I know she would not be happy to see that I was the only parent there also. TOO independent.
Happy planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter