• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone still use film?

PrincessRianne

Mouseketeer
I plan on going back this May for a quick trip as a small vacation for my bf who is graduating from College, however, im debating bringing my digital or my 35mm. I just got my Canon 20D around September of this year and I'm still getting used to the features. My 35mm is a Canon Elan 7 which I got for Xmas last year('04) and I love the quality.
The digital is great because I'll know right away if I get the shot or not, but I love the true camera istic (Im making up words) that the 35mm gives me. And I dont want to take both as it will just slow me down,lol.

Im not going to lie, im leaning to the 35mm a little more myself, but also a concern, is the film being ruined with all the scanning and stuff they do at the airports, is that a valid threat?

Any help or suggestions are appreaciated!

I still have 1 roll of film left. I just got my first digital (Nikon D50). When I travel with film, I always ask for my camera and film to be checked by hand. I won't have to worry about that on my next trip. :cool1:

I shot with a Canon Rebel G for years before going digital. I now have a Canon Digital Rebel 300D.

I don't even bother with film any more. I loved my Rebel G and the quality of its pics a lot, but I have found that my 300D is far superior. I think that after you get used to your 20D you will find that it is also far superior to your Elan 7.

Taking a new camera to WDW with you is a trial by fire, but because of the heavy usage it is also the very est way to truly get comfortable with the camera.

I say, leave the Elan home and just take the 20D. Most of the basic features are the same as a film SLR, and some of the digital-specific things like being able to review your pics or change ISO from frame to frame will come in mighty handy at WDW. They sure have for me.

Just make sure to take the manual with you in case you need to look something up, and take all the various accessories you have (memory, batteries, charger, etc).

One you get used to the 20D you'll never want to go back to film!

You do have to worry about film in checked luggage as the intensity of the X rays is very high.

I find that I enjoy shooting some specialty films, like Velvia 50 and 100. For me, there is something thrilling about looking at a nice slide through a loupe.

But for the most part, I am essentially digital. I don't bring my film body to the parks.

Film??? What's that? Some ancient recording method? Like stone tablets? :rotfl2:

Charade said:
Film??? What's that? Some ancient recording method? Like stone tablets? :rotfl2:

No, I think it's what they call those charcoal and berry juice paintings on the walls of caves...

By the way, for those who do use film, I have a web page that describes in detail the proper procedure for getting safely through the airport and to your destination:
http://willcad.org/image_film_tips.html

I have a film on my windows, I just called it gunk. I think Windex will get rid of it though.

Jeff

Last week I finally got a new digital camera. After waiting for 4 years for dSLR's to be affordable I got the Nikon D50. For the last 4 years I have been using a Canon S30 and my Nikon N70 was kind of put aside. Though every now and then I would pull it out and would always be very happy because it takes such great pictures.

At one time I would take upwards of 30 rolls a year (when I was doing a lot of traveling). With my digital camera the last 3 years I took around 400 pictures a year not including special trips.

I loved using my film camera, but digital just became so convenient.

As for traveling with film, I never experienced any problems going through x-ray machines. I worked in travel for 7+ years and would go on vacation or 'FAM' trips 4 or 5 times a year at least. My film camera always went with me. I think the only time you will have issues is if you are using film with an ISO of 1600. Most people use 100 or 200 the vast majority of the time.With 400 speed after that.

Be careful. Even on ISO400, if you run through your film twice you'll see the "foggy" quality in your dark shots (shots with lots of black/dark colours). It's more apparent on the ISO800 and extremely apparent on ISO1600.

I still prefer film over digital. While I like being able to see my pictures instantly, I really prefer my regular camera (Nikon N80). Then again, I don't have the best digital, but I prefer the shots that my dad gets on his regular camera, vs his digital (both are comparable Nikons). And I don't mind not having to worry about battery life on my regular camera either

monarchsfan16 said:
I still prefer film over digital. While I like being able to see my pictures instantly, I really prefer my regular camera (Nikon N80). Then again, I don't have the best digital, but I prefer the shots that my dad gets on his regular camera, vs his digital (both are comparable Nikons). And I don't mind not having to worry about battery life on my regular camera either

I'm with you. But you may change your mind if you try the Nikon D50 or D70s. All I can say is WOW!!! I was a Nikon N6006 and N70 user for 15 years.

monarchsfan16 said:
And I don't mind not having to worry about battery life on my regular camera either

Well, yes and no. All of my Canon dSLR can take about 200 pics with flash without preview, so that's about 8 rolls of film... and you can change ISO even just for one shot. Besides, the newer dSLR have ISO1600 performance better than film. On the other hand, the dynamic range of 35mm film is yet to be matched by the likes of Canon 20D, XT, Rebel or, Nikon D50/D70/D2X/D200.

PrincessRianne said:
You guys are bad.

Long live the dead arts.

lol

Rianne

:rotfl: I still use both, mostly digital, but if there is something I really want a pic of the film comes out!!! afterall, you can always burn those pics too!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter