Anyone see the shark?

We were visiting the resort on Saturday afternoon, but must have just missed the excitement. But, SEWAGE?? o_O

We were there. It was a baby hammerhead, very small. Maybe two feet long. Still, I was glad we had just called our kids out of the water to have lunch.

I thought Aulani had some type of netting/barrier to prevent bigger creatures from getting into their lagoon?

I always thought so too, but when we were there in May we were told they did not.

We were there and while we didn't see the shark, we talked with the crew of the canoe excursion that leaves from the lagoon. They were the ones who reported the baby shark. It was a tiny hammer head baby that wouldn't hurt a human, would only cause a bruise if it tried to bite. The reason the lagoon was closed was because of concern of the Mama hammer head probably nearby waiting for her baby to come out of the lagoon. Mama couldn't have gotten into the lagoon due to her size.
There is no netting or barrier preventing fish or other animals entering the lagoon, but the depth isn't deep enough for a large shark.
We did see some awesome octopuses in the lagoon beyond the blue and white rope by the rocks.

We were there and while we didn't see the shark, we talked with the crew of the canoe excursion that leaves from the lagoon. They were the ones who reported the baby shark. It was a tiny hammer head baby that wouldn't hurt a human, would only cause a bruise if it tried to bite. The reason the lagoon was closed was because of concern of the Mama hammer head probably nearby waiting for her baby to come out of the lagoon. Mama couldn't have gotten into the lagoon due to her size.
There is no netting or barrier preventing fish or other animals entering the lagoon, but the depth isn't deep enough for a large shark.
We did see some awesome octopuses in the lagoon beyond the blue and white rope by the rocks.
Thanks for the report Monkia. That would have been something to see.

Enjoyed the pictures of your stay you shared on FB.

Yikes. Misread the thread title and thought you meant WDW had jumped the shark re price increases and low attendance this summer and fall. Should have known this is a literal shark. :eek:

I thought I had posted on the site about the shark but obviously forgot to actually "post" what I wrote. My friend and I were standing about knee deep when little baby hammerhead swam by our feet. That was on Friday. We didn't report or say anything about it because I know my daughter would never go in the water again so we kept quiet. Saturday morning someone saw it again and reported it. Then they closed down the lagoon. It was maybe 18-20 inches long at the most. I have the biggest shark fear of anyone I know and it didn't bother me. (I did have some concerns on mama shark though)

I just "Had" to go there with this video......:laughing:
:

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:boat:

Last edited:
Sharks do not stay with their young. In fact, hammerhead sharks swim away from their mama when born so that they do not get eaten by the shark. I doubt that Aulani was concerned about Mama shark, but probably more concerned about any shark in general getting in and were checking their infrastructure for a gap. I'm glad to hear they took the precaution of looking into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter