Anyone reviewing their household budget for the new year??

I just did a grocery budget analysis - on the back of an envelop so pretty simple format, lol.
Hoping to stop the convenience foods treadmill that I was on while working. That could cut my spend in half!

What do you budget for 2 people? What is realistic if you are not inclined to use coupons and hunt for sales?

A big part of this depends on where you live. I live in NE in a high cost of living area. DH and I like to eat a lot of fish, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. I also make most everything from scratch. I do plan weekly based around what's on sale and find we average about $85-$100/wk. That doesn't include coffee (which we order on-line because it's less expensive), but does include paper and cleaning products.

I just did a grocery budget analysis - on the back of an envelop so pretty simple format, lol.
Hoping to stop the convenience foods treadmill that I was on while working. That could cut my spend in half!

What do you budget for 2 people? What is realistic if you are not inclined to use coupons and hunt for sales?

Realistic with no coupons/no growing own food, and paying for all food/drinks (so coffee, sodas, etc) for 7 days at 3 meals/day?

I'd say $50/adult/week for a family of 4 is a goal # to hit...$75/adult/week may be more reasonable if you are a 1-2 person home (b/c you can't take as many bulk deals)...So, somewhere between $100-$150/week (likely to the higher side) would be my reasonable no coupon number...but that assumes you keep your proteins (meats/fishes) in a reasonable price range, b/c those can skyrocket a budget fast...

we just finished our taxes and realized that combined with our three jobs (2 civillian, 1 military) that we make almost 70,000 - so we are reviewing how much we ate out last year and will be putting that towards an extra vacation - we figure that if our expnses allow us to take 3 NICE vacaitons (1 that was two weeks long to WDW over thanksgiving) that we could float at least 3 1 week vacations - 10,000 isn't that much for a vacation

We had to as DH lost his job in 2017 and I finished my associate's program and started the bachelors which is so much more money! Thankfully I make just enough to cover most of our bills and my car has been paid off for about 5 years and his will be paid off in March or May, can't remember. We had to replace our water heater over Thanksgiving (went tankless so it was a little more expensive but worth it!). Every time we start getting ahead something happens and up goes the credit card debt. If we want to continue to travel and have a house, we need to nail this budget. Plus, I plan on heading back to WDW w/ my best friend next January and Germany and Ukraine in 2020 (10th wedding anniversary gift to ourselves) so we need to budget!

Everyone has had great ideas. We cut cable over a year ago, best thing we did (we pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime and have two friends who gave us access to their Hulu accounts so we are more than set. Also went back to the old school antenna on the house-we get all network channels!). We tend to switch internet when the promo is up. We also changed cell phone providers and needed new phones (NEVER go with a Windows phone) and we bought unlocked phones so we could be contract free. We go to Costco once a month and buy certain things (mostly non-perishables, there's only 2 of us!). We try not to go out much to save money but this winter has got us restless. I try to find coupons and use any gift cards I already have.

We agreed to sit down once a month (usually at the end) to double check we are sticking to the budget we set and to adjust as needed. We actually forgot about the lawn maintenance we pay for in the warmer months. Usually this is something we do ourselves but with school & work we just can't do it ourselves anymore. Any 'extra' money we have at the end of the month will go into savings. DH's layoff has really screwed us so we decided we'd prefer money go into savings over paying credit cards off. Again, not our usual rule BUT our savings is gone so we need to do this. My car has seen better days BUT I'm driving her til she dies! I bought her new with only 13 miles on her. My car before was pre-owned and did not last as long as she should have (died at ~125,000 miles, current car at 161,550+). I already know tires are in my future so as long as she passes inspection next month, we'll tack that into next year's budget. I'm all for buying pre-owned to save (DH's prius was) but idk, I prefer brand new. My friend leases as she needed a new car for as cheap as possible but I just feel that's the same as renting-throwing my money away and getting nothing in return so I buy. However, I understand people are different. Honestly with how close I am to work now, it might make sense...who knows.

Maybe your dh can do lawn care since he's laid off? Or he's back to work now? I'm confused. :confused:

Our main financial objective this year is to pay down credit card debt, and a huge medical bill. We cut out cable, but kept high speed internet. We signed up for Direct TV, so that's pretty cheap for the first 24 months. At first we tried Sling TV, but it was cutting out all the time, so we dropped it.

Groceries for 2: I'm so glad other posters are talking about this! DH and I are always curious what others spend. I don't clip coupons, but do look for deals in weekly ads. We haven't hit $100/week in years now. With food prices increasing every year, plus we moved to a rural area that doesn't have grocery stores like Krogers, where you have Club cards. We only have a Walmart, that is usually out of stock of things we need on a weekly basis, forcing us to shop at the only 2 other grocery stores in town that are pretty pricey.

We spend around $500 - $600 per month on groceries, and all non food items. Everything from toilet paper, to batteries, to cleaning products. (I know some people don't include non food in their grocery budget.)

I just plugged in our 2017 taxes via Turbo Tax, and we're getting a pretty decent refund. That money is going into savings. My monthly income is paying down debt.

DH's 2 free paychecks: DH is paid every other week, which works out to 2 extra paychecks per year. Not sure how others find that 100% of those paychecks are free money. We've only been able to take about 60% as free money, and the remaining 40% goes towards regular budget b/c those months are usually long. (More days you need to cover at least food and gas.) I'll put a portion of June's paycheck towards patio furniture, and grill. Nov.'s will go towards Christmas.

Maybe your dh can do lawn care since he's laid off? Or he's back to work now? I'm confused. :confused:

Yeah I guess I wasn't clear there, sorry! He got a job but then 2 months later the company decided they didn't have the budget to keep him. By then the lawn care was off season so we don't need to worry about it until about April/May. Plus, we gave my brother our mower so he could do his lawn w/o having to keep borrowing our parents' mower so we don't even have a mower anymore! Worse case we can go buy one but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

DH's 2 free paychecks: DH is paid every other week, which works out to 2 extra paychecks per year. Not sure how others find that 100% of those paychecks are free money. We've only been able to take about 60% as free money, and the remaining 40% goes towards regular budget b/c those months are usually long. (More days you need to cover at least food and gas.) I'll put a portion of June's paycheck towards patio furniture, and grill. Nov.'s will go towards Christmas.

sorry this is so long. I'm not good at condensing or getting to the point quickly. (so say my kids. lol)

Dh and I both work and get paid biweekly & opposite each other so we get 4 "extra" paychecks per year.

Since every week is payday for us, I allot $200/week as a checking account cushion. Since we put 99.99% of our spending on our rewards cc, we rarely use cash. Dh uses cash more than I do because they have a coffee club at work (Maxwell House with a drip coffeemaker) and he occasionally joins in the football pool, buys GS cookies, etc.

I try not to let our account drop below $100. Not that we get a fee for doing so but just in case something comes up. This happening is such a rarity. That is our real cushion. The other hundred is for "optional" ATM taps, dinner with friends, etc. A more fluid cushion. He usually taps $20 of that cushion per week which is not a lot imho. I can't even remember the last time I kept a debit card in my purse or cash in my wallet, probably years. Whatever is leftover the day before payday besides the main $100 cushion goes to the debt snowball (or whatever that current goal may be). I do this even if it's only $5 leftover. So every pay day starts with the hundred cushion and ends with $200 new cushion again. All bills assigned to that paycheck are scheduled to be paid either that day or the day before, even if it's early. (Obviously, if it would be late, it gets listed under a different paycheck.) My point is that rarely is there bill money still laying around the checking account when we go to sleep on pay day. The money only sits in checking for a few hours until I put it to work.

Each payday has a list of bills that go with that check. I keep this list as a word document but do whatever works. Some are not really bills but forced/budgeted savings for non-monthly bills too. Capital One 360 makes this really easy; they allow 30-something savings accounts under one log in. For example, our sewer is billed quarterly from our county and annually from our town. Odd bills would always throw me off. It works out to $9/week. (A bargain really; the ability to flush is priceless!) So each payday $9 is on recurring bill pay to our CO360 savings nicknamed Sewer. Car ins is $92 biweekly so the weeks that are my pay, I have recurring bill pay to our CO360 savings acct named Car Insurance. When those non-monthly bills are due it's a simple transfer from its respective savings account to pay them. No more stress over that.

With all of our spending going onto one cc that gets paid off monthly, it's easy to see what we spend and where. Since some paychecks have more expensive bills than others, (think mortgage) the amount leftover that goes to the cc varies. Some weeks I can only pay $400 to the cc, others are more like $900. Basically it's whatever is remaining after all the monthly bills assigned to that week got paid. Our monthly cc is usually around $2200-2800. So there's some wiggle room for those "longer" months. As long as it's all paid by the due date they don't care that some weeks I could only send $200.
If for some reason we have a higher than normal cc bill, I funnel from our debt snowball so that I don't have to tap our emergency fund. I will be doing that in a few weeks to pay for the $680 repair bill for dh's truck. It is not common that we do that. Maybe 1-2x per year. If car repairs were more common for us, I would budget regularly for it like I do for car insurance but my car is 12 yrs old and besides usual maintenance for things that wear down, like brakes & tires, I've only needed 2-3 repairs done. It's infrequent enough that I'd rather keep hammering out the debt and funnel if necessary.

Either way, I never ever say "That extra check is going toward ____" and name a specific item. It goes toward whatever my snowball goal is at the time.
On "The Plan", for those extra paychecks, I deduct the usual $200 cushion, and really try to leave the rest to just become part of my debt snowball. So if that particular week, all is going as planned, it's a mega snowball. This really boosts my motivation!
If for whatever reason I had to funnel our snowball to some Other Thing than debt temporarily, I know that big check will help get rid of the Other Thing faster so I can return to my dumping debt/snowball goal asap.

If we had to buy something like a grill, I would try to buy it right after our cc billing cycle begins and then be extra frugal that billing cycle so that our cc isn't beyond what our regular pay can handle. We wouldn't buy anything that isn't an absolute need, wouldn't go out to dinner, order take out, etc. It would be a tight month because I hate having to funnel the snowball away from debt dumping/snowball goal. To me that means we have overspent. I already funnel from the snowball every summer to save $5k for Christmas. Whatever is not used goes back to the snowball goal. I really try not to have to funnel more than that.

Most of our debt is gone so we have a pretty large snowball. I still have goals for it; like right now I'm saving for a new car. The less often I have to funnel from our snowball, the sooner I reach our goal.

After I save up $10k for the car down payment, it will be time to save for Christmas. The next goal after that is to build up a nest egg of 6 months living expenses. I already have $10k toward that but I'd like it to be more like $30-40k.
Then after that we'll be attacking our mortgage. I'd looooove to see that gone.

Last edited:
I reviewed our budget in December in anticipation of the new year but i'm taking this month to look at what our expenses realistically are. minimum wage here increased by $1.53 an hour in 2017 and that made a big impact on day to day household expenses (groceries, service providers....), it only increased by 50 cents for 2018 but there are new laws requiring even part time employees to receive paid sick leave so I suspect that we'll see further increases that I will need to take into consideration (it will jump another $2 an hour over the next 2 years so that's a consideration for what we put aside for emergency repairs/household improvements). so I've been tracking every penny this month to see how prices compare and i'll work on a budget to put into effect for February.

for those looking at insurance expenses-remember that bundling with one company generaly generates a discount, as does paying annualy (homeowners or renters) or biannualy (auto) vs. monthly (one company we used in the past charged $10 a month more if auto insurance was paid monthly vs. twice a year). we also get discounts b/c we provide verification of college dd's gpa ("good student"), and though i'm not a fan of credit cards I did opt to get the one our insurance company offers. I only use it to pay for that company's premiums 2 times per year (and then turn around and pay in full before I even get the statement-cuz I don't do credit card interest) but since they give a 3% reward for any spending on their products it results in cutting our insurance costs by another 3% per year.

so it's January 31st and I managed to actually track every penny we spent. no big surprises, but it was interesting to see how our 'household' expenses broke down into smaller categories b/c traditionally we have a set amount budgeted that goes for groceries/toiltries/cleaning supplies/prescriptions/otc meds/eating out and entertainment and so long as we don't go over that amount for a given month i'm fine with it. I think for February i'm going to take it a step further and detail out categories of 'groceries'-i'm curious as to how much we spend on certain 'convenience' foods (prepared foods) because with some I know I can make them from scratch for close to or less than the same price while with others I've run the numbers and the convenience is less expensive or it's not something I can home make.

btw-what I suspected in my first post re. minimum wage's impact seems to be coming true-we've already gotten notifications from 3 vendors of price increases in our monthly or annual contracts with them:(

how is everyone else doing?

so it's January 31st and I managed to actually track every penny we spent. no big surprises, but it was interesting to see how our 'household' expenses broke down into smaller categories b/c traditionally we have a set amount budgeted that goes for groceries/toiltries/cleaning supplies/prescriptions/otc meds/eating out and entertainment and so long as we don't go over that amount for a given month i'm fine with it. I think for February i'm going to take it a step further and detail out categories of 'groceries'-i'm curious as to how much we spend on certain 'convenience' foods (prepared foods) because with some I know I can make them from scratch for close to or less than the same price while with others I've run the numbers and the convenience is less expensive or it's not something I can home make.

btw-what I suspected in my first post re. minimum wage's impact seems to be coming true-we've already gotten notifications from 3 vendors of price increases in our monthly or annual contracts with them:(

I am trying to eat out less . Taco Bell Drive thru was 19 dollars the other night and I know we could spend a lot less . I did call and switch our cable and internet which is going from 250 to 140 . So I am thrilled an extra 100 to pay on a credit card or pay a small one off . We will receive 200 Visa card and 75 dollars statement credit . The rate will go up 38 dollars after the year but I am still ahead 50 dollars next year

I am trying to eat out less . Taco Bell Drive thru was 19 dollars the other night and I know we could spend a lot less . I did call and switch our cable and internet which is going from 250 to 140 . So I am thrilled an extra 100 to pay on a credit card or pay a small one off . We will receive 200 Visa card and 75 dollars statement credit . The rate will go up 38 dollars after the year but I am still ahead 50 dollars next year

eating out was higher than I would have liked it to be, not excessive but $10 here and there adds up-financially and calorically so about a week ago when I first started number crunching I started making sure everyone eats something before we head out anywhere-then there's no excuses.

I got a couple of c/c rewards in January which we will use for a birthday dinner coming up. the Costco visa rewards come out on the February statement so my plan is to just walk in, cash it in and pocket it for an anniversary night away in a couple of months. I don't get huge rewards on my credit cards but I suspect that is b/c I refuse to use any that carry a fee.

I overspent in Jan on groceries by $50, not as bad as I sometimes do. It's a category I always bust. I'm scaling down the grocery budget though, so it's at least going in the right direction. I too buy things that seems a little difficult to separate at the grocery store. I feel like I already have so many categories though and a lot of grocery store purchases can be broken down further.

I overspent in Jan on groceries by $50, not as bad as I sometimes do. It's a category I always bust. I'm scaling down the grocery budget though, so it's at least going in the right direction. I too buy things that seems a little difficult to separate at the grocery store. I feel like I already have so many categories though and a lot of grocery store purchases can be broken down further.

I have been trying to scale back on groceries in general and focus on eating our way through the stockpile we already. tonight is our 4th week of doing a soup night-i'm finally using up a stockpile of a different soup mixes I've had staring at me for months and months. I love soup but they make large batches that are just too much for dh and I (don't need to be filling my freezer with containers-it's what i'm trying to unfill these days) so I realized that one day each week dh and I are near dd's place so I offered to split batches with her and drop them off. she was all for it b/c then she's got soup ready to eat when she gets home from classes for several days. I'm all for it b/c it uses up one bag of mix per week as well as a pound of meat or some leftover meat from a larger previous meal (I've still got a couple of bags of turkey from thanksgiving as well as a couple of bags of ham from Christmas in the freezer).

Just finished adding the last few receipts to my spreadsheet. I have always thought I was "tracking" in the past because I used my credit card, but I think having it all laid out in a spreadsheet and accounting for those cash purchases is "enlightening" to say the least. Right now I have it broken out into a monthly amount for all my categories including savings for different projects, vacations, and next christmas. The bottom of the sheet shows me my overage or savings for the month. I hope to be able to zero my savings categories for mortgage (DH pays mine will be extra) and an extra amount on my car payment quarterly. I know a lot do it monthly but I feel more comfortable with a quarterly payment, plus it will remind me of all the other quarterly stuff to be done.

I was over for groceries for Jan, but I don't break out household and I bought a bunch of detergent when it was on sale a few weeks ago, so I hope that by looking at things quarterly also, it balances out. Jan also included restocking after the holiday on quite a few items. This week alone with DH being away at work, DD and I have eaten only leftovers from the weekend and I still have enough for supper this evening.

I am an online shopper so just deleting all those emails keeps me from even looking. I have a few shopping carts saved, but I am making myself hold out until I have at least 40% off. I have also been making a list of items that I would like and a budgeted amount for them. I think being able to look at a list and decide what I really want will be helpful.

The only meat we buy is chicken because we have our own beef and lamb. I guess I should figure out what I use in meat and "add" that to the budget to be really accurate. Technically, the cost for our own comes out of the farm expense sheets. I hope to do a better garden this summer. We moved last year and were trying to grow a yard most of the summer so we didn't really have time or a good place for many veggies.

I can't convince DH to get rid of cable. Mainly because of sports. They love to watch NHL and NFL. DH watches shows like the Voice, Amazing Race, etc. but no one really watches TV other than DH and the boys watching sports. We have Netflix, Hulu, etc. on the SmartTv already.

Our bill this month total is $221.36 which isn't bad after we dropped the business internet back down.

Spectrum TV™ Total $129.32 (includes DVR)

Spectrum Internet™ Total $63.20 (Has a $10 discount not shown for bundling. Includes an Echo)

Spectrum Voice™ Total $19.99 (use to be included in our HOA before Spectrum bought out Brighthouse. All SIX of us have cell phones so we never use the and line. If it rings, it is a telemarketing call)

Under Brighthouse they said if we canx cable and phone that our Internet would shoot up sky high. I forget the numbers. But on our bill the only bundle discount I see is $10 off Internet.

I have not redone my budget for a few years. DH has his own budget too.

DD started college last year. And DS should start 2019. DH thinks we need more saved for the second kid and if we start now it would be spread over 5 years, some still being earned during his last year.

So today I reworked the budget, really just moving from some categories to others.

I decreased the clothing fund for the kids, it is also the school line- for fees, pictures, school trips- with DD not in high school the fees are down and she hasn't time to cloth shop! I will put that into college fund. DD really isn't asking for stuff. We did send her back with a new chair for her desk. I buy her stuff as I did prior when on sale, now it's just there instead of here.

Groceries we don't eat out a lot but I added some for that fund cause I use the extra gas money for them. We have a weekend fund so if we eat out, it is on the weekend so it comes from there. If the weekend money is gone, we're done. Now weekend money not spent- stays in that fund.

Last year for the pool - so I will save for chemicals for it for one year only. I had kept the bbsitting money that we needed years ago to purchase it and run it. Now that money will go to vacation fund, we wish at least two in 2019.

Had a dentist/ortho fund decreased it, everyone's braces are off, our dentist is out of network so I picked $400 for it for the year to save.

Saving just $20 more a month for tax increase. Had too much saved for car/life ins so it being moved to different funds.

Expenses that DH and I will split: stove -it is deciding if it wants to work prob will need a new one shortly, new furnace/air conditioner its at the store they still have not called for an installation date!

I thinking about, At work the employees rotate the working late week, your days are longer than 8 hours that week; I am thinking about staying late one day each week for the other employee to add to the college fund acct.

A raise should be this year, I used to put it into retirement. Last year I kept it and with it; DH and I offered DS whatever he put into his college fund we matched it. He mows 3 yards. This year I do not have a plan yet.
The extra money seemed to be my slush fund so I am assigning more to categories and I'll have less slush.

well we're almost 2 full months into the new year-how is everyone doing with their new budgets? anyone found any new areas to save on?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter