Anyone live in a area where people can donate to pay for students lunch debt? If so how is it set up?

LuvOrlando

DIS Legend
I remember my kids district making a big deal out of how much was owed for school lunches. Well, a very generous person offered to pay it all off, over S100,000 and the district refused for some idiotic reason.

I wondered why the donor couldn't create a way for families to send their bills to him/her with account info and then the donor make the payment? Just manage it outside of the district to avoid interference, it would work I would think but who knows maybe there are ways?

At any rate, as it gets closer to the holidays I have been thinking of good places to help. Also thinking on it with such an influx of families that might be in arrears I wonder, did any US districts come up with a good way?

I remember my kids district making a big deal out of how much was owed for school lunches. Well, a very generous person offered to pay it all off, over S100,000 and the district refused for some idiotic reason.

I wondered why the donor couldn't create a way for families to send their bills to him/her with account info and then the donor make the payment? Just manage it outside of the district to avoid interference, it would work I would think but who knows maybe there are ways?

At any rate, as it gets closer to the holidays I have been thinking of good places to help. Also thinking on it with such an influx of families that might be in arrears I wonder, did any US districts come up with a good way?
I remember seeing something a while back on this organization- All For Lunch, which helps various schools. Cannot vouch for them but sharing their site -

https://allforlunch.org/

Fortunately that isn't an issue here as school lunches are free in California. Unfortunately, about half the kids refuse to take the lunches, and too many of the kids who take the lunches throw most of the food in the trash.

So I looked and while Pa does not have universal free lunch, my new state Massachusetts does have universal free lunch. I would still send it back though because it bothered me so much. Hoping someone answers who has a good method where they live.

As an aside, so with the states that do offer free lunch, are there rules about the quality, like are they giving all these kids nutritious organic food? I really hope they aren't just gifting contracts to the slumlords of the food world and feeding them junk because that would really be a PO. Thee kids have enough struggles, I'd hate to think they are getting that fake meat chemical goo.

Maine has free breakfast and lunch for all Pre-K to 12 students. The school I work at has a spot where kids can leave unwanted items for others to grab them if they want. To get the free meal, they are required to grab specific items, like a piece of fruit. It works out well for those who want a little bit extra and then the food doesn't go to waste. Often, it does appear to be fruit or juice left most mornings when I'm there supervising the cafeteria.

As an aside, so with the states that do offer free lunch, are there rules about the quality, like are they giving all these kids nutritious organic food? I really hope they aren't just gifting contracts to the slumlords of the food world and feeding them junk because that would really be a PO. Thee kids have enough struggles, I'd hate to think they are getting that fake meat chemical goo.

We have free breakfast and lunch in MN. I just looked up the standards and they do try and have balanced meals - fruits, veggies, low sodium, less sugar, etc.

I know my son takes it each day (senior in high school). He is a bit of a food snob and he said things are "ok". Lacking seasoning, etc. But, we live in a higher-poverty district and some of these kids, these 2 meals are all they get. So, I would not fault the school (or program) at all, for giving the kids what they need.

Today is Teriyaki Chicken with fried rice and a salad consisting of romaine, carrots, celery, tomatoes, green peppers, broccoli and choice of dressing. They have whole fruits on the side, too, if you want that instead of salad. And, chicken potstickers for purchase, too. They have one "safe for almost everyone" meal each day - today is burgers and fries and salad. Tomorrow's lunch is chicken fajitas with cilantro lime rice and black beans, plus the normal lettuce/pico, etc. Or spag and meatballs as the other choice.

Breakfast looks to be hardboiled eggs, options of cereal, and then bananas and strawberries. And string cheese.

Not much different than my kid would eat at home. Portions are smaller cuz it is school district vs teenage boy dishing them up :)

One of the best things our current gov has done - I know SOOOOO many families that this has helped.

Back to your original question - I don't have the answer, but I love where your heart is.

Food quality varies greatly by school here. From absolutely disgusting to tolerable.

For way too many kids free or reduced school breakfast and lunch are their only meal(s) of the day.

Here breakfast is free at the 76 Title I schools for everyone but for lunch and breakfast elsewhere it is necessary to qualify for free or reduced lunch.

There is no good reason that the state or federal governments could not fund free meals, even if I find them disgusting, they are nutrition for those that are hungry.

But those in charge and many of those that elected them are so focused on making sure that people don't get more than they "deserve" that those in need suffer.

As an aside, so with the states that do offer free lunch, are there rules about the quality, like are they giving all these kids nutritious organic food?
Yes and no. There are rules about "healthy" standards, but they mostly consist of restrictions on fat, sugar, and calories. - So at DS's school it was whole wheat frozen cardboard instead of white frozen cardboard. :( He said the fruit was pretty pathetic too.

nutritious organic food
Nutritious I agree with but organic no. 1) there is no actual definition recognized for organic. It means nothing truly from a food standard reason and there's nothing to indicate that food that says organic is actually 'healthier' 2) organic most often costs more sometimes double or triple so you'd (the district) be paying more without it meaning anything. 3) Organic stuff can be recalled and contain deadly or harmful things just as easily as non-organic. Just this summer there's recalls in 18 states for listeria on produce with multiple being labeled organic (but one example there's obviously more).

My county has started free lunch last year but prior to that lunches were somewhat expensive imo and they were crazy about collecting. Apparently my oldest owed like less than $5 which we were unaware of and they sent home a letter saying she wouldn’t be able to graduate if she didn’t pay up. I’m having an argument now with my youngest sons school because they forced these school laptops on everyone (I even said he had his own he could use and they refused) and someone in his class knocked his off his desk and the screen cracked and they’re saying I have to pay $400 for a new one and that it’ll be on his record and he won’t be able to graduate if we don’t pay. I’m livid. What would a poor family do in this situation?

What is lunch debt? Kids just bring bag lunches here unless there is a special pizza day or something where it's prepaid.

There is free breakfast in some schools. Think they will all be free soon. But lunch isn't given out.

What is lunch debt? Kids just bring bag lunches here unless there is a special pizza day or something where it's prepaid.
If I kid shows up with no lunch and no money, a lunch will be provided and their account will be billed.

Places have different thresholds for where they cut off kids, letting them go hungry rather than provide a meal because they owe too much.

Others provide an alternative lunch to those kids, which every kid knows means you couldn't afford lunch, adding to the stress the student is already experiencing.

The kids experience really differs based on the cafeteria manager and how willing they are to bend/break the rules.

The elementary school where my kids attended was very much a rule follower and would seemingly delight in humiliating the kids who were short on money.

The elementary school where my wife teaches, in the same district, will give the kids a regular lunch, not record any debt, and just deal with the consequences of the food budget being off each month.

My county has started free lunch last year but prior to that lunches were somewhat expensive imo and they were crazy about collecting. Apparently my oldest owed like less than $5 which we were unaware of and they sent home a letter saying she wouldn’t be able to graduate if she didn’t pay up. I’m having an argument now with my youngest sons school because they forced these school laptops on everyone (I even said he had his own he could use and they refused) and someone in his class knocked his off his desk and the screen cracked and they’re saying I have to pay $400 for a new one and that it’ll be on his record and he won’t be able to graduate if we don’t pay. I’m livid. What would a poor family do in this situation?
It's not entirely different in college. If you have unpaid things on your account (books, dues, parking fines, etc) they will withhold your diploma and transcript.

I do understand about the laptop thing more based on age. My aunt was an elementary school teacher and kids in 1st and 2nd grade were given iPads for school usage. I always thought that was too young for a responsibility thing but they also weren't allowed to take them home (though some did) until maybe 3rd,4th, etc age I can't remember. But even then while I disagree with giving that stuff to too young it still follows what all of us have had to deal with which is school property damaged=you need to pay, it's just on a more expensive level.

As far as using your own laptop well I can absolutely see why they wouldn't want that. There's software tech licensed to specific schools, classes, etc and there's also computer viruses and malware protection and websites to be blocked and a whole slew of things. Back in the day there was a big reason they didn't want us to use floppy discs brought from home (anyone remember that? lol) due to potential of computer viruses (whether that was super super common IDK but it was still a big thing).

So I looked and while Pa does not have universal free lunch, my new state Massachusetts does have universal free lunch. I would still send it back though because it bothered me so much. Hoping someone answers who has a good method where they live.

They are supposed to be nutritious, with fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains, etc. I am not sure they are always that great, but there are 4 options each day. My son likes the pizza. I don't think they are organic.

Op, just call the school or district that you are interested in helping.

They can tell you the best way to donate.

That's how it's done here.

And thank you for your kindness.

I'm just curious what state you live in? We recently moved to SC and I have just been so disgusted by the states stance and the state of the public schools here. Every policy is so punitive in nature and I'm one. who's all about accountability, but we've lived a lot of places (military) and I've just never seen anything like it.

After working in districts with and without free breakfast/lunch I am 100% in the camp that it shoukd be provided for all students for free. - Nothing extra, no chips/treats, just a simple healthy breakfast and lunch. - It just makes such a difference.

It's not entirely different in college. If you have unpaid things on your account (books, dues, parking fines, etc) they will withhold your diploma and transcript.

I do understand about the laptop thing more based on age. My aunt was an elementary school teacher and kids in 1st and 2nd grade were given iPads for school usage. I always thought that was too young for a responsibility thing but they also weren't allowed to take them home (though some did) until maybe 3rd,4th, etc age I can't remember. But even then while I disagree with giving that stuff to too young it still follows what all of us have had to deal with which is school property damaged=you need to pay, it's just on a more expensive level.

As far as using your own laptop well I can absolutely see why they wouldn't want that. There's software tech licensed to specific schools, classes, etc and there's also computer viruses and malware protection and websites to be blocked and a whole slew of things. Back in the day there was a big reason they didn't want us to use floppy discs brought from home (anyone remember that? lol) due to potential of computer viruses (whether that was super super common IDK but it was still a big thing).
College though is very different than public K-12 schools where you must send (or provide proof of home schooling) your minor child to school. In my opinion. college should be pretty different.

As an aside, so with the states that do offer free lunch, are there rules about the quality, like are they giving all these kids nutritious organic food?
No difference in nutrition between organic and non-organic food. But as others have posted, there are standards that school lunches have to meet.
HOWEVER, the system is not perfect. One of the local districts here publicly complained that is now being forced to buy frozen Tyson chicken trucked over 1,800 miles instead of fresh chicken from Foster Farms that is only 100 miles away. Some of the Federal grant money the district gets for school lunches stipulates they can only use approved suppliers. Those political contributions Tyson has made got them on the list, and got Foster Farms excluded.
And like I posted earlier, every TV station I have worked for has done the story on what kids throw away from the school lunch. Yup, they eat the sweet treat, and trash the entree.

After working in districts with and without free breakfast/lunch I am 100% in the camp that it shoukd be provided for all students for free. - Nothing extra, no chips/treats, just a simple healthy breakfast and lunch. - It just makes such a difference.
I agree, but as I posted, the kids won't eat the healthy stuff. For example, they can now get CHOCOLATE milk, because the experts say that despite it having twice the sugar, if it gets kids to drink milk, it is worth it.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest